Home Technical Talk

Those strappy things - the new fad

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
This is probably really trivial, and pretty nit-picky, but just something I've noticed recently. I've seen a pretty large amount of concepts and models lately with belt straps along the boots. Just seems like an interesting trend. Maybe it's been going on since the beginning of time, but I've just now noticed it. Yeah, they do look cool, and add some dynamics to the legs, but I don't know. Opinions?

A pic for reference
Roberto-Cavalli-Boots-L4708.jpg

*Wasn't sure whether to put this in TT or GD, but figured that it was somewhat technical since it had to do with design preferences

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I like em, I think they bring nice detail to a rather boring shape, just image the boot without the straps :) Personally I don't like high heels, mainly because most of the girls I see use em can't walk properly, it just looks awkward.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I actually wore buckle closure engineer boots for a while. They're rather comfy, and yes, add an interesting aesthetic to the footwear.
    They could be to indicate a harder edge to a modern character. I tend to find buckle straps in either punk or BDSM inspired wear. On an older themed character they just are pre-shoelace closures.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    On straps in general:
    I am going to go out on a cg historical limb here and submit that the strap explosion of the 21rst century officially began at the dawn of the century with the very first popular CG challenges ( space pirates, apcalypse ) particularly the influential styles of pascal blanch
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I wouldn't say its a trend or anything new, as straps have been on clothing for a looong time. I'd say the reason we see alot more of it in concepts and models these days is because game character resrictions allow it. With normal maps and high polycounts we can afford to add straps. Games previously had to add straping into the textures and it didnt really work well at low res.

Also. Adding straps is a great way to break up the silhouette and its a very easy way to add detail. It also adds to the functionality of a concept, making it more believable.

us-army-soldier.jpg
    manica1.jpg
    cowboy.jpg
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, thanks for the input. I agree that straps are a good way to break up the design and add realism/style, but I was referring to the straps specifically on boots. When I was looking at entries in the Comicon challenge every other model I looked at had the straps along the boots, pointing outward along the leg. Sure, it looks cool, but it just seems like an unoriginal design choice after seeing it so many times. Particularly when they're spammed up and down the leg. So many belt buckles would be impractical anyway. Again, just a minor nit-pick, there's really nothing wrong with it. Just something I've noticed.
    Ha seemed like a more interesting topic to me at 1am
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    ah, well thats just down to fashion chioces. Todays fashions will always rub off into people designs. There is another reason though. Once a person creates a strap asset, 2D or 3D, its easy to get carried away and duplicate it a few times and Its more aggressive looking than zips or laces.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I give credit/blame to Michael Jackson and his impact on the fashion world.

Straps managed to hang on through the the 90's MC Hammer pants and horrific butt in the front pants. After the multi-colored early 90's where over the Doc Martens, Biker Boots, strappy footwear all that stuff sprang up and hung around. But they've been around for a long long time.

Fashion freaks love its straps, buckles, zippers and bondage gear. They can't wait to vomit out the next trend by rehashing their tried and true stuff. Anyone doing any research on clothing is going to run into it, you can't help it.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    On functionality: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanker_boot
    (not every point applies to all boots with straps, but still)
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I blame Tetsuya Nomura.