Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet Creature Test - Blue Lizard

Hey guys! Here is my progress on the art test. I would like some feedback on my sculpt before I jump into defining the textures. Please let me know where I have strayed from the reference. If his mass and proportions seem feasible. If anything looks wonky. :)

reference.jpg

Link to Vimeo turnaround
CT1.jpg
CT2.jpg
CT3.jpg
CT4.jpg

Low poly test w/ 1024 normal and ao maps.
CT5.jpg
CT6.jpg
CT7.jpg

Replies

• SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I agree with bretmcnee. The tail also is really sticking out to me as a weakness right now. It's very inconsistent to the rest of the body. It becomes even more apparent in the bake. Right now you have the tail with it's almost plate-like lines, and the body with its globby wrinkles. I think you should find a happy medium between the two and re-sculpt what you've got. That should probably match the concept more. Otherwise, I think that it's looking pretty good! Either way it should look pretty good once you get the texture and spec on it. You just need to push the boundaries of what you have right now to make it stand out more.
  • Robotbreath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input bretmcnee and SuPa! I'm still working on proper spike merging and I plan to vary up the plates more and add more surface detail to the legs.

I started sculpting in a sense of underlying muscle and bone and varying skin tightness/looseness. Along with defining the spike merge points I plan to detail the small scales running throughout his forehead and back.

Any comments and critiques appreciated!

CT10.jpg

CT9.jpg

CT8.jpg
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Robo,

I hate doing paint overs when people are far ahead in a project, but I hope you can at least take some ideas from my paint over. My friend is a concept artist at ArenaNet and after talking to him he says the 3D modelers there stick to the concept art from what they have. Obviously for things they can't see and that are not provided, those are filled in by the modeler.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

ct5j.jpg

ct4p.jpg
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Titus: I think you paintover is a strong direction for phil. I would point out, however, that the creature team does not really work as you described. Our job is to take the concept and "make it badass." Like I said though, I agree with your criticisms. GO PHIL GO
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo wrote: »
    Titus: I think you paintover is a strong direction for phil. I would point out, however, that the creature team does not really work as you described. Our job is to take the concept and "make it badass." Like I said though, I agree with your criticisms. GO PHIL GO

Hmm that's interesting! I guess hearing it from the 3D guy is better than hearing it from the Concept guy :)

So what kind of limitations and freedom do you have when someone hands you the concept art? Is silhouette usually the absolute critical component? Etc Etc

It'd be nice to know what ArenaNet does :)
  • Robotbreath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Titus: Thanks for the paintover. Very helpful!

Joe: Operation infuse badassness continues.
  • Robotbreath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the latest.

CT11.jpg

CT12.jpg

CT14.jpg