Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another ArenaNet Art Test entry

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
Just started texturing this today, and I think it's starting to come together. There is still a lot I want to do with it, but I thought I would go ahead and make a thread for feedback. All C&C welcomed!

anettest.jpg

anettest02.jpg

I plan to replace the texture on the rocks and grass entirely, and tweak the colors of my wood and roof to have that gradient look. I also want to use my remaining texture space to throw in some smaller details.

More updates coming soon.

Replies

• PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update for this evening with a bunch of minor changes. I think the new rocks match the concept much better, and overall look better as a foundation. I'm currently sitting at three 1024s, but I'm confident I can downsize without much loss. (I'll need the extra texture space for some of the little details I want to add next.)

anettest03.jpg

Expect another update soon-ish.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    My main issue is that the base stone's texel resolution is so different from the rest, and this is where 99% of players will be. In terms of texture priority, getting that are looking great should be at the top of the list. Right now it is stretch and uneven.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! wrote: »
    My main issue is that the base stone's texel resolution is so different from the rest, and this is where 99% of players will be. In terms of texture priority, getting that are looking great should be at the top of the list. Right now it is stretch and uneven.

I absolutely agree. I've tried playing with it a little already, and it pretty much just comes down to too little texture space. So I'll be reworking my unwrap slightly to hopefully get the texel res up to par.
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like what you have for the most part but I noticed two things you should probably fix/work-on.

OJzF6.jpg

For the pipe it kind of just looks like a piece of metal and there is no real definition to it at all. I assume you just have not gotten to that part yet but I would add an implication of welded or attached pieces at the "turns" to keep it looking interesting. Right now it just kind of looks like it is a flat piece of metal which was bent perfectly to that shape which seems unlikely.

The other area I highlighted just seems like it is wrong. I feel like the brick is supposed to extend into the wall to hide that wood texture but it is not doing that for some reason. It probably just happened when you were editing that the wall got moved or something. I know the same thing happened to me and I eneded up fixing it right before I posted my stuff online. Is that a mistake or am I just not "reading" the image correctly?

In any case keep going and good luck.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave, I was aware I needed some vents on my chimney, but I totally didn't catch that messed up UVW. Thanks!

I have added a little bit of grass to my... grass, as well as some wall details. I also improved my texel resolution on the base, and adjusted my levels on a few textures. (This is still showing the larger-than-final texture resolutions too.) I'll have another update by the end of the day!

arenatest.jpg
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    your texel density seems to be a bit uneven in areas and having it all uniquely unwrapped is making everything look really low res.

I would consider making a base set of tiling textures for the stones, bricks and plaster. looking at your unwraps it makes me question as to why the door is given nearly the same amount of textures space as one side of the roof. also, the plaster is suuuuuuper low res in comparison.
    I would go back and remake the texture sheets to be broken up into 5-6 tiling textures you can use all over the model, I haven't seen many buildings in games uniquely unwrapped for anything more than a vista building usually.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    The wood grain is going the wrong way on the 2 boards to the right of the front door.

Lookin pretty good though. I do agree the density seems a bit off, or the tex are too blurry. Idk, it is a lot of stuff crammed onto a fairly small sheet so I guess the res can only be so high, maybe your shots are just too close and it would never be seen that close in game anyway.
  • ZacD
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so after taking a look at ZacD's link, I not only realized that my entry wasn't up to par, it was pretty embarrassing. So I did a new unwrap, a new texture, and made use of my remaining triangles. Here's the final-final thing!

showcase01.jpg
    showcase02.jpg
    showcase03.jpg
    showcase04.jpg
    showcase05.jpg
    showcase06.jpg
    showcase07.jpg
    showcase08.jpg
    showcase09.jpg
    showcase10.jpg

I improved my texel resolution, defined my tiles and foundation a bit better with some extra loops, and made use of my remaining triangles and texture space. I'm happy with where it is now. When I started this, I didn't want to make an entry that would win the internship, I wanted to make an entry that would stop the press and make the guys down at ArenaNet say, "We need him on the payroll... today!" I don't know if I'm quite that good yet, but if it doesn't happen this year, it will the next!

Thanks for all the help and C&C!