Home General Discussion

3D is no longer a hobby, working under pressure

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
Im a senior in HS and I spent a lunch period explaining to the art teacher at my new school about what I do in 3d (and had to explain it a bit), showed her my gallery and she thought it was excellent and said I can use it for my focus for AP 2D design (since its not physical 3d).

Now I have a problem. She was completely for getting some type of software on her mac machines so she could see me in action, and we worked together to get the Maya student version only on my machine. Sadly I do not like sculptris and mudbox isn't very friendly for me to learn because it feels wayy too different, so I cannot sculpt at school with her class set of pen tablets.

We can all admit that the most basic base mesh process of creating characters isn't that interesting at all, and generally looks like low quality crap. I have a problem with people watching me shape a cylinder to match a horses leg and they say "what are you doing..." (im the only one in the class actually doing 3d other than sketchup kids). Of course they don't see how much different the end result looks from the start, because I have no actual reason to have the finished mesh open on my computer. And this leads to paranoia and im just not in a situation where I want to work.

My second issue is working under pressure, because its required. Now before I get the "get used to it, if you want to be an artist you have to work under pressure", its not the work pressure, its the idea pressure. I LOVE being told what to make because it gives me a no excuse reason to learn something. She basically told me to make 12 works of art based on my focus (and 12 of ANYTHING that involves art), and my focus is 3d characters. I cannot for the life of me think of 12 things to make on my own out of no where, most of the stuff I make on my own is because im obsessed with a game or the theme of a game that I have to take the edge off.

And the final thing is we have a 3d printer at our school that is called the makerbot thing-o-matic. Its not a super great printer and can only deal out some shapes decently, things like chin overhangs it cannot handle because it prints in layers from top up, so when nothing supports it it sinks down.. She (and I) thought itd be cool to make a mini statue of our school statue out front, until I printed my undead bust on her printer and realized gravity is the printers worst enemy. So I am uncomftorble working in class because not everyone understands it, and I don't know how I can convince her this statue isn't going to work (and the detail of the statue is a bore, and THAT wouldn't even be picked up by the printer)..

Sorry had to vent that out :( I feel so crammed and busy now because I HAVE to do it...

Replies

• Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Wait, this is a little confusing and I may be reading your post wrong, but I'm getting the impression that you're complaining (which you're allowed to) about your school providing you with the resources and encouraging you to improve your career applicable skills? Or even that what is now your hobby is now coursework?

I don't really know how to reply to that. HS (and even some colleges) rarely put so much effort into the assistance of a single student interests, for that if it was me in your situationI would have been incredibly grateful.

Admittedly your hobby is now work, which is never that fun to occur. However is 3d art your ideal career? (I think you said so anyway) And you are a senior in HS which means it will become your work very soon anyway.

I dunno I find it a bit weird, maybe you are in a big city. I grew up in a small country town and had total "Big Fish - Little Pond" syndrome, so if somebody came up to me and asked, "What are you doing?" I wouldv'e replied, "CHECK IT OUT I'M MAKING A HORSES LEG OUT OF A CYLINDER, THAT'S SO BOSS RIGHT?"

-Ahh, High School days...
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    your school sounds amazing? my high school barely had photoshop
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Snaccum thats how I would normally reply, but this is my first and last year at this school and I know no one lol.

Its the pressure of having to create 12 things myself, I am horrible at developing ideas and I wish I was told what to do or handed a concept.

I don't mind modeling in my first period with the other AP students because theres only 7 of us that have the entire lab to ourselves, but later in the day I go back to her class and sit in during her freshman intro digital class and I have to model in front of them also.

I have the same effect when I paint in photoshop at school, I have to come up with an accurately and proportional basic blockout at home in order to paint at school, and I bring it on a memory stick and polish it at school. I can't start with nothing because I feel like someones wathcing me and ill screw up.

I guess ill just have to power through the ugly base modeling stage and once they see the end result they'll understand. Next time they'll think "I wonder what hes making now."
  • Bibendum
    If you're looking to get praise from teenagers you should have made youtube "speed paintings" of yourself copying photographs of Lady Gaga instead. Game art isn't a field where outsiders boost your ego, for the most part only your peers will understand and respect your work. Being able to bust out a sick model of a gun in only 300 polygons isn't going to get you laid. If you're looking for significant social recognition you picked the wrong medium.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't do it for social recognition, and when I mean "in front of them" I mean they can see my screen. Im not trying to put myself in front of them or show off, I am forced to do msot of it at home anyway. I have all my credits so I thought 3 art classes in 1 day would be ballin.
  • Bibendum
    If you really didn't give a shit about their approval you wouldn't be self conscious about producing ugly work in front of them. You might not be attention whoring but you're still clearly investing too much in what they think of your work.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Im thinking too much about what they may be thinking about my process of creating work.

Im saying, end result after zbrush = really cool and interesting

Base mesh = boring and "wtf are you making..."
  • haikai
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    What the... I would have killed to have had access to all that stuff when I was in high school. And... you're in HIGH SCHOOL! It's nice that you're taking this stuff seriously, but I think some of us older folks are wondering why you're stressing over these trivial matters. If your model isn't 3d printing (!) then adapt your model to something that will.

And Mudbox really shouldn't be that big of a deal to adapt to. I mean, it's like Maya! Sure, I prefer Zbrush, but it's not like you can't do the same stuff. And what's this about base meshes? If you're looking to do stuff quickly then just sculpt whatever you need from a sphere or take 2 minutes to make a z-sphere base mesh. Retopo/remesh later.

And if it's that big of a deal then do as much work as you can at home too. You will survive! :\
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    LRoy wrote: »
    your school sounds amazing? my high school barely had photoshop
    This. Really, I got jackshit in my school.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    can't think of 12 characters?

1. Knight in obsidian armor
    2. female samurai
    3. sci fi stealthy ninja
    4. sky pirate
    5. steampunk inventor
    6. space zombie
    7. technomancer (wizard using technology)
    8. battle ostrich
    9. magma man
    10. a non-cliche demon
    11. a conquistador
    12. punk rock guy with a green mohawk

I came up with this in a few minutes, spend a few hours brainstorming your list, figure out how much time between now and the due date and make up a schedule.

(if you think this is pressure just you wait)
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    http://www.theyfightcrime.org/

Here you go. Instant character ideas two at a time.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    bush_cocaine.jpg

Chill.

Do a basic shape/form of the statue in question, overhangs and all. Then point out the problem areas to her. Hell write a whole paper on how it wont work if you have too. I did on model formats and cross conversions from different software versions and how they cock up constantly.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin, thanks for the list! I wanted the pressure of having to make 12 works, but not thinking of them on my own. I think this class is a great way to force me to push quality portfolio work and thats why I sort of wanted the pressure. I figured if I'm most likely going to need my portfolio once I'm out of school then what's better than to spend all senior year creating it?

Haha LRoy, thats awesome

Id prefer to work at home and not be publicized, and for the most part I do. But I really don't know how shed feel if I just sat around in her class lol.

While im here, how do big budget 3d printers print arms and stuff? Dont they have to place plastic on nothing?
  • Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    1st_world_problems.jpg
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    All that other stuff aside. How long do you have to create 12 works?
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    9 months, but in total it's 24 works because I have 12 breadths which I can just do anatomy drawing studies for.

But it usually takes me a weekend to nolife on entire project, and then I'm out of juice and slowly texture it during the week. I probably jut feel so busy right now because I have to study for the act and do some homework almost every night, I can't get into the groove to start a project. I look forward to tryingstuff I haven't though, like a zombie nurse lol sounds fun. But if I think I just tell her I can't do much work in her class shed let me do other class assignments so I have more time after school
  • Sandro
    Just get half-decent headphones and go make some art :)
  • ikken
    frell wrote: »
    Now I have a problem. She was completely for getting some type of software on her mac machines so she could see me in action, and we worked together to get the Maya student version only on my machine. Sadly I do not like sculptris and mudbox isn't very friendly for me to learn because it feels wayy too different, so I cannot sculpt at school with her class set of pen tablets.

err zbrush has a mac version as far as I know
    otherwise if you're allowed to install software /can ask tech ppl to do it, go for bootcamp and get windows installed
    just my $ 0,02
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    frell wrote: »
    Im thinking too much about what they may be thinking about my process of creating work.

Im saying, end result after zbrush = really cool and interesting

Base mesh = boring and "wtf are you making..."

Who the fuck cares? The first time you show a finished piece nobody is going to give a shit that the 'creative process' doesn't always have showable WIPs.

As for 3d printing, you can try slicing your mesh at joint areas and posing the individual pieces to avoid overhangs and such.

If you're for some reason really worried about showing your work, get FRAPs or something and record some of your sculpting.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Dude seriously.. do you want to make this your profession? If so then freaking hell, man up! because what you are describing is freaking easy street compared to professional life. 9 months for 12 characters? hah! 5 days per character is what the 3d artist at my studio get.
  • Acr0
    Offline / Send Message
    Acr0 polycounter lvl 5
    If you can't adept to new software, you will have a hard time in the industry. If you can't think up 12 basic character ideas, with no restictions, then you will have an even harder time... every title in game art has "artist" in it. That comes with the presumption you have a creative side and are used to adopting new mediums.

Thank your lucky stars you have this much support and assistance from your highschool. It's a rare thing
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    This is really to the limit of the blogpost really.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    ParoXum wrote: »
    This is really to the limit of the blogpost really.
    :thumbup: this
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL wrote: »
    Dude seriously.. do you want to make this your profession? If so then freaking hell, man up! because what you are describing is freaking easy street compared to professional life. 9 months for 12 characters? hah! 5 days per character is what the 3d artist at my studio get.

Lol not what I mean't by pressure. I can only get 2-3 hours in a day, while they probably work fulltime.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Acr0 wrote: »
    If you can't adept to new software, you will have a hard time in the industry. If you can't think up 12 basic character ideas, with no restictions, then you will have an even harder time... every title in game art has "artist" in it. That comes with the presumption you have a creative side and are used to adopting new mediums.

Thank your lucky stars you have this much support and assistance from your highschool. It's a rare thing
    I adapted to max and maya just fine but sculpting isn't a matter of just finding tools really. it has a feeling.

Even a not very pinpointed "make something like..." is all I need. I guess ill just try completely varied things that ill learn something in each of all 12
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    So you're worried that people are going to be critical of a base mesh that should only take you 10 minutes to make at most?

And that you can't think of enough ideas to span the year?

My first world problem is that I don't have enough time to work on all of the random crap that I want to make!

It's probably not the greatest idea to list a ton of projects that you'd like to do throughout the year, could potentially lose interest in your current project knowing what your future projects could be like, just think of one good one for the time being, get it done.. Then move on and brainstorm for the next.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Oh good, another 'my feelings' thread.

Seriously dudes, if you feel like making one of these threads, hold off, pour yourself a scotch and wait for you balls to drop! :)
  • Mark Dygert
    3D is no longer a hobby, working under pressure
    This is where you start to get good. =)_
  • wizzy886
    Firstly, your school sounds like a dream to me and I wish I could have things like that. And just stick with it. Life isn't always going to be easy or fun but you will benignant in the overall outcomes!
  • seanpetitt
    Offline / Send Message
    seanpetitt polycounter lvl 14
    Sounds like you get annoyed by people looking over your shoulder and talking like they know anything about what you are doing. I get that way when someone that is not my peer looking over my shoulder. They could be saying nice things or worse, saying crap about it even though they have no idea how it is made.

I think the real problem is that you have too much freedom. If there is someone else in your school or class that draws characters that you might enjoy modeling or talk to someone to come up with cool ideas.
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    High school? Bahahahaha!

I'm barely 22, and we didn't even have computer labs.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    This is where you start to get good. =)_

Yeah, but sometimes the beginning of our collapse :\

What happens with these kind of threads? there are too many similar topics lately.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    maybe it's because summer has ended - everyone needs to move south!
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    taikerr wrote: »
    Sounds like you get annoyed by people looking over your shoulder and talking like they know anything about what you are doing. I get that way when someone that is not my peer looking over my shoulder. They could be saying nice things or worse, saying crap about it even though they have no idea how it is made.

I think the real problem is that you have too much freedom. If there is someone else in your school or class that draws characters that you might enjoy modeling or talk to someone to come up with cool ideas.

That was a great way to put it.

So today I was overly tired and was in a careless mood and I just busted open maya and modeled to model and finished off the trojan helmet (school mascot) that we're going to print for teachers to use a paperweight or something. It wasn't THAT bad with other AP students, but modeling in front of the digital one kids still annoys me, though there is one kid who sits behind me who was EXACTLY like me in 9th grade, he has his own tablet at home and uses blender, so I guess for the sake of him ill let him be inspired? Once the teacher sends out blender to the doc on everyones computer I won't feel isolated.

Other than that I think the pressure is great because Im forced to make stuff, but I got to make ideas bleh. I found a .txt file that I forgot I had in my characters folder of all the things I thought would be fun to make:

I-robot
    gryphon
    blood elf
    sterling archer
    gatekeeper
    The punisher

Of course I wouldn't want anyone seeing me making a blood elf at school, but other than that I need to find something in each idea that I can learn new from it.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    you just sound way to self conscience. like i don't care what people see looking over my shoulder while i work.

besides anyone who works with art and media understands there is a process to doing everything, and your not instantly going to get good looking results, a base mesh your working on is no different than a 2d artists thumbnails in there sketchbook.

though if you feel pressure of others watching you work just be glad your not in some kinda performing art. Man it is a bitch to play in-front of a crowd when your not too happy with your songs yet or feel your guitar playing isn't tight enough.
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    passerby wrote: »
    you just sound way to self conscience. like i don't care what people see looking over my shoulder while i work.

This is actually something I didn't expect. I had never really worked around other people. So when I got hired, it took me a few days to actually get used to working with others being able to watch. Now, I don't even notice.
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Mcejn wrote: »
    This is actually something I didn't expect. I had never really worked around other people. So when I got hired, it took me a few days to actually get used to working with others being able to watch. Now, I don't even notice.

It's a different story when you are working around like minded people though and i can see where frell is coming from. I was doing some lower poly stuff the other day while some relatives came round and when they came to see what i was doing, with my reference on the other screen, i got asked why it looked nothing like the picture(in quite a critical way, from a fucking relative?!) so i had to zoom out, unhide everything and sort the scene out to show them.