Home Technical Talk

Chamfer Modifier

obliviboy
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
obliviboy polycounter lvl 12
Hi dear polycounters, long time no see.

Lately I have been trying to learn max's sdk and I finally got some grip on it.

Here are the first results.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m11-ZYQ6dIA[/ame]

Replies

• xXm0RpH3usXx
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    I so fucking love you for this one, been requesting that since years but nobody ever heard me >.<

If it now would actually chamfer in quads i'd be even more impressed, but this is helpfull nonetheless!
    Will it be downloadable somewhere?
  • obliviboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks xXm0RpH3usXx

Maybe I will make it do quad chamfers, will see. I also have some other things I want it make do, like making it so it never breaks the chamfers even when you change the topology underneath it.

It will be available on my site along my scripts.
  • obliviboy
    Offline / Send Message
    I present to you Indestructible Chamfers
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59A6uModWXE[/ame]
  • Octo
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 17
    Pretty cool.
    Another way of doing it without an extra dialog window would be to add a 'chamfer by smoothing groups' checkbox in the chamfer modifier, where it only chamfers 'hard' edges. Then you just set SGs to your basemesh and get the chamfering done with no extra effort.

I suppose this won't be free? Been waiting for a free lightweight version of something like the edgechex plugin...
    This should be a standard max modifier already. Saves so much time once you get used to it.
  • obliviboy
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, but smoothing groups take longer to set up and take longer to edit. I could also add the floating rollout to the Editable Poly but then It would just be harder to access.

No it won't be free, it will cost more then a normal script, because it's a plugin but not that much more.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    now that your digging in the sdk do you know if its viable to extend editable poly to include your quad chamfer script. I use it quite a bit but allways end up wishing that it was native rather than scripted (previews are damn slow.)
  • obliviboy
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    now that your digging in the sdk do you know if its viable to extend editable poly to include your quad chamfer script. I use it quite a bit but allways end up wishing that it was native rather than scripted (previews are damn slow.)

I began implementing quad chamfer as a modifier a couple of days ago, still have to figure out some things but it's coming along well. After I will finish it I will do it as an editable poly operation if needed.

If you or others have some feature requests then write them in this thread.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    If you could make a script which lets us select edges through verts like the UVW Edge select with rubberband that would be awesome.
    (not sure if that was understandable though if not, i´ll make a little gif of what i mean)

I tried that once, but could get it to work how i wanted it too
  • obliviboy
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter wrote: »
    If you could make a script which lets us select edges through verts like the UVW Edge select with rubberband that would be awesome.
    (not sure if that was understandable though if not, i´ll make a little gif of what i mean)

I tried that once, but could get it to work how i wanted it too

There already exist such tool and its even open source so you can edit it to your liking. Go here and look for "Edges from Vert to Vert.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Need to test that but it sounds as if it´s just what i meant. *fingerscrossed*
  • Pac_187
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome!

That's what I liked most in XSI, before switching to Max. Having the ability to change stuff like chamfer later on. Would be cool if you could do the same for extrude, inset and so on :D
  • rs3d
    Great to see you doing Modifier plugins instead of scripts now, much more flexible! Thanks :)