Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ice Giant

Hey everyone! So I've been watching afar and thought with this new project i might make my debut and get some solid advice to getting better. Now I just started doing a block out of an Ice giant monster I've been thinking about doing for awhile now.

Here's the idea(ish) I'm trying to get across.(Note: I'm not the best concept artist...)

scan0001.jpg

I did some research to try and get better quality examples and I mashed up a few images:

Ice_Giant_Compilation_001.jpg

Ice_Giant_Compilation_002.jpg

So I'm in the process of blocking it out and unfortunately I don't have a lot of spare time so I'll have very long periods with no updates.

Screen_Grab_Front_001.jpg

Screen_Grab_Pers_001.jpg

On the concept art page I have two different leg types I'm debating over and for the hands and arms portion I was going to try and mash together the Icy arms with the Earth giants hands.

Advice and critiques this early are welcomed and appreciated! :)

Replies

• Sean.Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean.Buck polycounter lvl 5
    as far as the legs go, i'm digging the more humanoid looking legs, I feel like that adds more character to him somehow. Or maybe, fits better with the rest of his design rather. Over the knees it might be kinda neat if you added a spike kneepad kind of thing, sorta like the ones coming off of his thighs, just smaller. Model is looking pretty solid as far as I know too. Keep trucking.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I did a quick blockout of the Legs into the feet. I'll look into doing for a knee pad look just got to figure out how his joints will move hehe.

So I went with the hybrid look. I added both the 1 piece look from the 2nd concept and used a defined big toe or fore foot on the front.

Screen_Grab_Left_Legs_003.jpg

Screen_Grab_Pers_Legs_003.jpg
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so finally had a chance to do some more work and I've taken the concept in another direction. Since I wanted the crystallized ice on the arms and no where else I felt this would become an issue with continuity since they would look out of place. At the same time I didn't like how the back mountain was coming along so I opted for a solution I've been itching to get block out and see whats up.

So I found some references of the look I'd have on the arms, I want them to look kind of like this but more deadly:

Crystal-Cluster.jpg

As deadly as sharp crystal ice on his forearms would be, adding larger pieces of this type of ice would look awesome. Therefore I removed the back mountain, lowered where shoulders are and added huge crystallized ice slabs protruding his back. I feel this adds a better visual flow has his frontal silhouette will be surrounded by these mystical ice crystals glowing and gleaming around him.

But until then I have grey cylinders :P

Screen_Grab_Front_006.jpg

Screen_Grab_Pers_006.jpg

Screen_Grab_Pers_006_2.jpg

For the hands I'm still unsure if I should go with a 3 finger + thumb or the current 2 finger + thumb configurations, but; as I continue to work that out I'm still refining the torso proportions, and arm length. Tips and Crits much appreciated! :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You really need a concept for the face, cause right now its looking more like a funky helmet than anything else.

The head needs to be smaller, the proportions look like a 10 year old kid right now.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ZacD Ya I do have one but I've been focusing a lot on his overall shape. Earlier projects I've done I'd jump straight to adding detail to things like the face and accessories and I just get overwhelmed and drop the project. I'm working on my workflow in this project while using an abundance of reference images of anything that sparks my interest. I'll admit the face needs lots of love and thanks for pointing out the size. It's not something that occurred to me, especially in the front view its very noticable :)
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    you could scale your drawing down a bit. The silhouette and overall design needs work IMHO. This thing is a freakin ice giant..powerful, violent, majestic all in one. It should exude all of that from silhouette and stance. currently it looks like an ice giants'- not-so-sure-of-himself-outcast son. you probably dont need those extrusions on the chest plates- those could be normal mapped or hand painted.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I did some work on it, I've worked on making it look more deadly, I've given him a face, both are still wip of course.

Screen_Grab_Front_010.jpg

Screen_Grab_Pers_010.jpg

I broke up the silhouette by adding more of his signature spikes and sized up his legs and arms. I took away his neck to beef up the upper torso and @Dan! I took your advice and did away with the extrusion on his chest.