Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Hangar (CDK environment)

Hey guys, here's a very very early WIP shot of my current environment, a hangar with an F/A-18E Super Hornet in it.

I have loads to add (platform around the edge, generator, steps to cockpit, crates barrels/other interest) and the floor is obviously going to be replaced. Also got some tweaks and re bakes to do on the jet, as well as add dirt maps and blend layer to the building.

Anyhow I just wanted to share this and start a thread for this environment.

iwkobl.jpg

Replies

• nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    definitly a good step, the fa-18 looks very detailed and obviously the environment is lacking in grudge but im sure you will get to it. Sense and scale looks great tho. First that that jumps out to me is the floor so clean, while fa 18 is quite grungy same with the rest of the scene. Excellent start
  • TheScreamingEagles
    nick2730 wrote: »
    definitly a good step, the fa-18 looks very detailed and obviously the environment is lacking in grudge but im sure you will get to it. Sense and scale looks great tho. First that that jumps out to me is the floor so clean, while fa 18 is quite grungy same with the rest of the scene. Excellent start

Yeah, the floor is literally just the CE3 placeholder texture atm, and the building lacks dirt and blend maps.

Like I say though, really early days with this one, will be adding and improving a lot.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol i figured as much, excellent start. cant wait to see it progress
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    A quick recommendation would be to have your sun overhang the facility at an angle, then go into your time of day settings and play with your ray and scattering settings to increase their viability, tweak there colour and change the suns attenuation. It will help make your work the focus of the scene and not the bleaching suns glow, you will still get the atmospherics from the sun as it will overhang your scene and cast its rays on your objects but not cause crazy mega glow.
  • TheScreamingEagles
    IchII3D wrote: »
    A quick recommendation would be to have your sun overhang the facility at an angle, then go into your time of day settings and play with your ray and scattering settings to increase their viability, tweak there colour and change the suns attenuation. It will help make your work the focus of the scene and not the bleaching suns glow, you will still get the atmospherics from the sun as it will overhang your scene and cast its rays on your objects but not cause crazy mega glow.

This is going to be a night scene though? Do you have any suggestions for what I could do with that in mind?
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Quick update to this, I've added the floor, a dirt map to one of the wall. The main revisions though, are to the god awful lighting of the original.

2mfhfuf.jpg
  • torontoanimator
    honestly i like how pristine the enviroment looks, makes me feel like theyre getting ready for war but hasnt been put into service yet
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Another little update, just been messing with various things, also trying to add some of the details for interest and scale. Plenty more to add, but this is where I'm at currently :)

14m6zv5.jpg
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ouh that's pretty :D could do with a bit of red or some other contrast color in there (like a massive flag in the background or one of the color buckets being red)
  • TheScreamingEagles
    e-freak wrote: »
    ouh that's pretty :D could do with a bit of red or some other contrast color in there (like a massive flag in the background or one of the color buckets being red)

I actually agree with you, I was looking for ways to get some red/deep orange in there. The best idea I had was to switch on the rear wing lights which are a reddy orange color, and then I can also have some nice irradiance light around there.

It's something I'm considering, but I've set up the lighting to draw the eye to the front-center of the jet, so I'm in two minds as to whether putting a deeply contrasting colour like red back there might break the composition. I might just experiment with it and see if it works; if not, I'll make a paint can red or something as you suggested.
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Quick update to this, made various changes. I decided to break out the CryEngine environment probe feature to get some nice lighting effects and reflections as well. Let me know what you think :)

AJBVi.jpg
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Bunch of different views in its current state. Still more to add, but I would really appreciate some critique to help me improve this, so let me know anything that you think of :)

I am aware of there is some obvious tiling in places (eg platform floor), it's on my list of things to fix.

fEbyR.jpg

EQjzn.jpg

RYmeM.jpg

gQAva.jpg

5mBwa.jpg

DcfJQ.jpg

Oxi6O.jpg

XYi3J.jpg
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Tht´s looking pretty good. I got the feeling that those rivets on the plane are a bit too big. The scene needs some contrast as well, try to add some color or maybe some more interesting lighting. Maybe have the front of the hangar be open and have the sun shine in or play with some godrays through the windows....
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    lighting is awful
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Rick_D wrote: »
    lighting is awful

This doesn't help him at all!

The lighting does need some work, tho. Maybe lighten things up on the shadows side and set a direction from where the main light is coming from.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Rick, ur avatar is awful.

The lighting isnt that bad. I kinda like it. Tho, it would be a good idea to change the lights from blue to yellow. So u can say its sunlight and bring in some godrays.
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Update on this one.

Following the crit on the lighting, I tried to add some more light to the shadowed areas. I bumped up the overall scene brightness a little, and also added a series of lights running on the underside of the platforms to bring some illumination into those areas. Still wanted to leave some dark areas though, to maintain a good tonal range.

Starting to add a couple more assets in (theres still a couple sitting in weird locations though, just for the sake of making it easier to clone them). Added tire marks after finally figuring out the trick to road object materials, and I also fixed the gimped reflections on the underside of the jet where they shouldnt have been.

rD0sY.jpg

vxVLw.jpg

RINgt.jpg
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    That update is such an instant, full on, pulsating boner...
    Not sure how many of these I can take :poly125:
  • TheScreamingEagles
    That update is such an instant, full on, pulsating boner...
    Not sure how many of these I can take :poly125:

I'm drawing from this comment, that you approve of the changes? :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'll preface this by saying I've never physically been in an airforce hangar - so I might be way off. But IMO this plane doesn't feel like it belongs here.

The hangar looks like an old, run-down factory building (WW2 era with the beams, oriel windows, general shape) and is pretty messy and dim. Whereas the airplane is pretty modern. Not ultranew, but not 60+ years old either.

With this aircraft I'd expect plenty of lighting, and a lot of white materials (reflect light = energy efficient) and a lighter construction. Sort of like this:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQR1M2WAj8tB3sUbB44W0_ItKhAGxohMF_37QV3L5IBIRe-CoUgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKZ4mTSZEengpGNSRhCh8lafrPsYpTPfN10Np-QSnD6JO349kcIgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRweGKFZIzoKAMC9NMcAeI3oQmVun8RA_e9YtxqTJIWi_1phaEo7Q

-lots of white
    -plenty of lighting
    -poured concrete
    -no raised walkways around.
    and for equipment:
    rolling platforms, tool chests, paint spray kits (rather than bucketsN'brushes)
    So in general, more modern stuff.

Don't get me wrong - the hangar looks great, and the plane looks great. Just that they don't fit together. Now if it were a P51 mustang or something then they'd fit together perfectly.

Again, I've no IRL experience, but there seems to be a clash of timeframes.
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Yeah, the problem is those hangars are extremely boring, so I decided to take this away from the ultra clean USAF hangar.

I guess, to follow on from what you were saying about the hangar looking older, thats what I was going for; like this was an old hangar, still around, but its only used for messy jobs and maintenance instead of the pristine shiny newer ones. Originally I wanted to do a pristine one, but it was so boring and I felt extremely constrained by feeling that I had to stick to that, so I changed direction on the environment.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work :) I like the more dirty and old hangar version. Makes it more interesting. It is really comming along very nicely :) Got few questions. How did you approach the cloth which is laying on the ground? Did you sculpt it ? Also did you use decals for the tracks on the floor ?
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Bart wrote: »
    Great work :) I like the more dirty and old hangar version. Makes it more interesting. It is really comming along very nicely :) Got few questions. How did you approach the cloth which is laying on the ground? Did you sculpt it ? Also did you use decals for the tracks on the floor ?

Thanks man :)

The cloth I did using an Ncloth simulation in Maya. I set up the sim, then enabled interactive playback so I could throw the cloth around a bit in real time, and get some folds going. Froze the mesh once I had it how I liked, and retopo'd, then baked.

The tire marks are done using the CryEngine road tool, so it is a decal of sorts I suppose. Road tool offers quick flexibility for that type of shape, compared to specifically creating and importing floating geometry.