Home General Discussion

Age of Empires Online

Replies

• Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Why is it bad that they want you to pay for parts of it, when you get the majority for free ? It's not like you're "entitled" to the complete game or anything, be glad it's f2p.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't want to start an argument or something but they're just trying to make money, Microsoft does expect to make back their investment of the development. I have no problem paying a bit for that.

The quests, eh i can get into that but I don't mind since there's no way you can level up PVP'ing before you're somewhere around lvl 10.
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Why is it bad that they want you to pay for parts of it, when you get the majority for free ? It's not like you're "entitled" to the complete game or anything, be glad it's f2p.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't want to start an argument or something but they're just trying to make money, Microsoft does expect to make back their investment of the development. I have no problem paying a bit for that.

^

frell wrote: »
    -Too cartoony for me, its pretty, but not what I want in a medieval RTS

To me, the art is incredibly refreshing.

This really needs to be posted again. :P
    http://robotentertainment.com/blog/detail/Vision-behind-Age-Empires-Online
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Already read it

I understand they need to make money, but show me the paid shop ONCE, and dont give me quest rewards only for premium stuff and stop reminding me.
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Already read it

I understand they need to make money, but show me the paid shop ONCE, and dont give me quest rewards only for premium stuff and stop reminding me.

They're a business..
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to get me to pay by taunting me in the early stages of the game made me lose interest, had they not perhaps I would still be playing and my addiction would make me buy a prem civ.
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Trying to get me to pay by taunting me in the early stages of the game made me lose interest, had they not perhaps I would still be playing and my addiction would make me buy a prem civ.

So they gave you a locked item, schematic and Premium quest.. Was it THAT bad? Quit bitching, you're just looking for shit to get upset about.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    If they do it that early in the game im guessing they'll do it the whole way through and to me its saying "HEY! HEY! HEY DUDE HEY!!! you gotta pay to get the full experience!" And no, im not looking for shit to bitch about, I played about 3-4 hours with my friend and we are both big fans of aoe2, and he started to not like it before me and I kept reassuring him its only the beginning (even though I was losing interest), and I stopped a little after for the same reasons.
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    For those who complain that they have to pay for some content in a free game, if you find it fun enough to play the free stuff, why not spend the money you would normally pay for a game as a pool of money you can then spend on extra content? You know, like as if you bought another game?

Feeling the entitlement some people have when you supply them with something free you can use without any limits, but some of it you CAN pay for, is such as whiny attitude to have. :P
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    I usually do buy premium items for games I play (provided its not APB where you pay and then keep a digital item for 7 days), but I don't like when they show off premium items too much (At the rate they had already I figured they wouldn't stop). For one, the friend I play most games with is very tight on money, so I'd really prefer not to cut him out by me buying premium stuff, but usually if I enjoy the game enough I will pay to support the developers.

But the premium ads i've dealt in a few other games, it wasn't the only reason I didn't like it. It just overall felt like a kids arcade game to me, even though it may have involved strategy.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I have never paid real money for an item or something in a game.

So this game sounds like it's not worth me even checking it out. Shame.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Casual players already have to deal with dedicated players who know everything, and blizzard was asked this.

(WoW)
    Q: "Blizzard, wouldn't an item shop help casual players catch up faster?"

A: "Its not the casual players that would be paying."

I generally prefer (if the game has enough content) for a monthly subscription, it creates a level playing field. But the graphics are what ruined it for me, they're beautiful and stunning but it just makes me not take the game seriously.
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    glottis8 wrote: »
    I have never paid real money for an item or something in a game.

So this game sounds like it's not worth me even checking it out. Shame.

Some people are just talking shit, it's only about 10% content left out that you'd need to purchase if you want it.

It's a free game, it's not as though you've purchased the game and then are buying DLC, you're purchasing bits of the full game.

Just shows how whiny people can be.

Casual players already have to deal with dedicated players who know everything, and blizzard was asked this.

Q: "Blizzard, wouldn't an item shop help casual players catch up faster?"

A: "Its not the casual players that would be paying."

This is absolutely nothing like Diablo 3's Cash Shop bullshit.. The Premium unlocks full PvP.

I don't even feel like arguing this, it's stupid.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    To me a monthly subscription would be fair, since everyone gets the same content. Paying micro transactions for items to me seems greedy.

Some games have this in mind i guess. Facebook games do it, and some are pretty successful. It's just not my cup of tea at all.

Ah.. Raz, thanks.. .i played some of the free games from google, and most have that kind of gameplay. Maybe i'll just download it during my lunch break and check it out.
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    glottis8 wrote: »
    To me a monthly subscription would be fair, since everyone gets the same content. Paying micro transactions for items to me seems greedy.

Some games have this in mind i guess. Facebook games do it, and some are pretty successful. It's just not my cup of tea at all.

Play the game before you really take off and judge, it's nothing like a shit ton of micro-transactions, it's a single Premium purchase of $20 if you want full PvP and in-game perks for PvP.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai wrote: »
    Some people are just talking shit, it's only about 10% content left out that you'd need to purchase if you want it.

It's a free game, it's not as though you've purchased the game and then are buying DLC, you're purchasing bits of the full game.

Just shows how whiny people can be.
    I don't care how much of the game you have to pay for, it was constantly putting me in "Oh!.. aww premium only" situations. Again, i've dealt with this before so it wasn't a huge deal in me not liking the game, but it contributed. But you're rambling on like all im doing is sitting here an whining about it, but its your comments that make me keep replying, I've already said why I didn't like it.

Its only one payment of $20? When the premium shop popped up there was shit all over the screen, it can't just be one thing can it? Not to mention you get quest items that only work on premium civs.

Rai wrote: »
    This is absolutely nothing like Diablo 3's Cash Shop bullshit.. The Premium unlocks full PvP.

I don't even feel like arguing this, it's stupid.
    Sorry forgot to mention the question was regarding World of Warcraft*
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Sorry forgot to mention the question was regarding World of Warcraft*

You pay for the game, you pay for expansions, then you pay monthly.. On top of that you'll be paying for micro-transactions.

AoE:Online, you play for free, you have the option to purchase a content pack that unlocks the rest of the game for you, which is a PvP content pack and is something that you can live without.

these two are not synonymous.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    Aoe seems better than WoW then, now that I know its only one payment of $20, but money wasn't my issue, my issue was constantly taunting me. WoW just has an upgrade button on the website and thats it.. But I still don't like the game because it feels too kidsy and I can't take it as seriously as something like stronghold.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing wrong with the game so far for me. I like the art style, and it's fun to point and click. So i guess the money stuff is just like enhancers that give you boosts and stuff... at least from what i noticed. Things that i can live without honestly. Will play more and see if i run into something i really like or not like. So far, it's fun.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I didnt find them taunting me to buy there premium items a very big deal, its probably due to the fact that i know how games like these are supported.

if you hate this oyu must hate team fortress :P

i think of the game as a long demo where your able to play as long as you want but if you want to take it to the next level you have to unlock that content which im totattly fine with.

ill be waiting to buy a civ as i want to get the persians ( totally not because im persian myself :p)

also i love the graphics!
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, it's nice looking.
  • tanka
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    ae. wrote: »
    ill be waiting to buy a civ as i want to get the persians ( totally not because im persian myself :p)

Screw the Persians.. The Celts are where it's at. :D
  • ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    $20 for an AoE isn't bad at all. Frell, we get it, you don't like the game...
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    ceebee wrote: »
    $20 for an AoE isn't bad at all. Frell, we get it, you don't like the game...

He's only been posting because people were debating with him about his reasons, which is fair enough.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Just had a quick play, seriously nice artwork, love those insane camels :)
  • JostVice
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Been playing it, and it is looking good, though I've just done a few quests. Anyone has tried the coop? how does it really work? any friend can join you in a quest? Do your friends need to be on the same 'Server kingdom' ?
  • Cexar
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    I just picked (downloaded) this up today and I'm really enjoying the first few levels really getting to know the game. I guess I can appreciate it because I suck at RTS games and I hope this feeling of not sucking terribly holds on. Playing on Athens if anyone still plays this! :)
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    It gets a lot harder after level 7 i think, and it does feel like you face a lot of walls if you don't buy the other stuff. But is a fun so far, specially if you have friends that want to play it with ya.