Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Atomic Blossom - Blockout Stage

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Boyso polycounter lvl 7
Starting a new project here and I want to train myself into making better blockouts before starting HP modelling. Normally, I start right away into HP and kinda get lost into doing too much details into one part, and neglecting another or simply having my proportions wrong at the end because I worked on the details rather than on the big picture first.

Concept is from Keith Thompson's book "50 Fantasy Vehicles to draw & paint". I'm also working from a "weird" side view that seems to have a few issues with proportions. So I'm pretty much working using both. (http://paper-replika.com/images/stories/instructions/news/Atomicblossom/atomic-blossom-side.jpg)

atomicblossomblockout.png

Sorry for the big picture, it is 3,600px x 1,080px. If you guys could give me a bit of advice on my blockout before I attack the HP, or if I should add more details to the blockout or even less. Trying to improve my skills here :)

Thanks!

Replies

• letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Le devant est un peu trop long et le cockpit est un peu trop recul
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    letronrael: i think this is an english forum and not french...
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    He is my teacher and we are both french. But thanks for the comments!
  • Gorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rudder looks too short, make it longer. I think you are missing a lot of the form between the gun and the exhaust. Round off the nose.
    Perhaps it is the angle, but the concept shows a the plane (bomber? bomb? not sure what term to use!) being a fair bit longer between the cockpit and the tail, you can see it especially well in the side view, the round bomb part is the only a third of the vehicle, in yours it looks more like 2 thirds! (and by the way the cockpit is too big in yours, have a look at the transition between the cockpit and the fuselage too).

Also put a bit of thought in to how the turbine will work, there must be some kind of indent or scoop on the underside to draw the air in, I think that having only half of the turbine exposed like that would cause some technical problems otherwise...
    Perhaps you should model the pipes to the jets on the sides in the block out too, since they are pretty important.
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks!

Here's the description of the concept, should clarify what this is ! :P :
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]ATOMIC BLOSSOM [/FONT]
    After receiving V2 rocket plans, plutonium, and uranium oxide snuck into Japan by German U-boat No.234, the Imperial Japanese applied their new technology to the pre-existing Cherry Blossom kamikaze plane. This new jet was to function as a human piloted atomic bomb to be deployed from bombers during the defense of Japan.
    Key Features:
    Large detonation hammer ensures the bomb explodes upon impact in case the air burst mechanisms fail.
    40mm guns fixed to main fuselage after brave Allied pilots began trying to detonate the Blossoms prior to their goal by flying their planes straight into the Blossom's path.
    Rotationally adjustable vents allow the plane a slight degree of directional correction after being launched from a heavy bomber.
    The canopy and tail are the only recognizable parts left of the Blossom's fuselage which has been adapted from the Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter aircraft.
    The canopy is welded shut after the pilot has entered the cockpit.

Didn't have time to work on it since though, but I can't wait ! Thanks alot for the comments!
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    Hahaha raf ya encore du beef
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Alright sorry for the delay, Irene decided to shut down the electricity in my whole neighborhood, corrupting all my files related to this project. Had to start over from the only Autobackup that wasn't corrupted.

AtomicBlossom1.png
    AtomicBlossom2.png
    AtomicBlossom3.png

The concept states that the gun are chambered to 40mm cannons. Since 40mm looks like this
    http://www.hostaonline.com/boforsrounds.jpg

I decided to make them smaller.