Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some recent digital paintings, please critique

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MMKH polycounter lvl 11
Hello, I'm new to the Polycount forums and joined because I saw some really talented art and was hoping to get some inspiration and feedback on my own work.

Here are a couple of my recent digital paintings that I've done in my spare time. One of my goals is to become a concept artist, illustrator, or texture artist within the gaming industry.

pit_fiend_by_mmkh-d41ufz1.jpg

the_draugrnaut_by_mmkh-d3jdsux.jpg

Vindicator_by_MMKH.jpg

For more of my work, visit http://mmkh.deviantart.com/gallery/24560565 . I have done many custom fan game textures for League of Legends and would like some input on those as well. Thank you.

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I think you should work on your perspective, posing and lighting/forms. right now all the characters seem evenly lit which makes them seem super flat and have no volume to the shapes. its better on the bottom one, the blue one is the flattest I think.

The perspective on that axe is really weird, it looks kinda bent and like the bottom part has been twisted a bit. the perspective on the blue guy looks a bit off as well.

in terms of posing, none of these poses feel really natural or fliuid. the minotaurs legs seem awkwardly posed and different sizes beacause of it. the way the blue guy is holding his arm up feels funny and having his hand posed like that feels awkward.

I think the 3rd painting is a definite improvement over the 1st 2 and show skill progression for sure. it looks like you have a decent understanding of color as well.

hope this isnt too harsh, just want to give you the main crits so you have something to focus on for your next painting.
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    I think you should work on your perspective, posing and lighting/forms. right now all the characters seem evenly lit which makes them seem super flat and have no volume to the shapes. its better on the bottom one, the blue one is the flattest I think.

The perspective on that axe is really weird, it looks kinda bent and like the bottom part has been twisted a bit. the perspective on the blue guy looks a bit off as well.

in terms of posing, none of these poses feel really natural or fliuid. the minotaurs legs seem awkwardly posed and different sizes beacause of it. the way the blue guy is holding his arm up feels funny and having his hand posed like that feels awkward.

I think the 3rd painting is a definite improvement over the 1st 2 and show skill progression for sure. it looks like you have a decent understanding of color as well.

hope this isnt too harsh, just want to give you the main crits so you have something to focus on for your next painting.

Nope not at all, be as harsh as you can, it will just help me improve. :)

I agree about the perspective actually. What I was going for with the first one was a stylized, low-angle shot to help emphasize the size of the creature. The blue one indeed does look flat, I'll admit I rushed that because I tried to adapt the original drawing into one that would fit the Rift colossus contest entry theme at the time.

The third one is actually from last year's which is odd because I thought I improved since then. :/

Please check out the rest of my gallery for some texture art too. :)
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    My recommendation is to step back and do some grayscale paintings of smaller scale. Instead of doing a super bloodthirsty hell beast with wicked awesome armor, do a grayscale portrait. It will help you learn to use your values to portray your shapes. Working in grayscale will also help to not have so much distracting you, you'll learn more by trying to do less.

Additionally, I'd try to do just more "drawing", simple linework (emphasis on the simple, don't worry about complex designs) to help you with your poses and perspective. Agreeing with PixelMasher's observations - the guy in the second painting who's all blue, he looks incredibly stiff - more like an action figure, rather than menacing or powerful.

That all being said, I do really like the armor design of the pit fiend guy in the first painting. I just think you're lacking the experience to really bring those designs to life! I put an exclamation point there because it makes it sound real cheery and I really don't want to come off as a jerk.

:)

Feel free to start a sketchbook in the sketchbooks section and post some simpler works and progress that you may want feedback on. I think you've got potential just keep working hard at it and really be willing to accept your shortcomings - the quicker we are to acknowledging our problems the quicker we can find a solution. :thumbup:
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I'm going to echo what the others have said in this thread already--go back to work on the basics. You have good rendering skills, but it feels like you need to draw more and work simpler until you master more basic things. If your goal is to be a concept artist or illustrator, you have to be GOOD. Not ok, not decent, no capital G-O-O-D at drawing. There are countless people who want to work as concept artists, so you have to be just that much more skilled than everyone else out there.

All that harshness being said, it's clear you're up for hard work, so just follow the advice the others have mentioned, and you should be showing lots of improvement in not time. :)
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Two Listen wrote: »
    My recommendation is to step back and do some grayscale paintings of smaller scale. Instead of doing a super bloodthirsty hell beast with wicked awesome armor, do a grayscale portrait. It will help you learn to use your values to portray your shapes. Working in grayscale will also help to not have so much distracting you, you'll learn more by trying to do less.

Additionally, I'd try to do just more "drawing", simple linework (emphasis on the simple, don't worry about complex designs) to help you with your poses and perspective. Agreeing with PixelMasher's observations - the guy in the second painting who's all blue, he looks incredibly stiff - more like an action figure, rather than menacing or powerful.

That all being said, I do really like the armor design of the pit fiend guy in the first painting. I just think you're lacking the experience to really bring those designs to life! I put an exclamation point there because it makes it sound real cheery and I really don't want to come off as a jerk.

:)

Feel free to start a sketchbook in the sketchbooks section and post some simpler works and progress that you may want feedback on. I think you've got potential just keep working hard at it and really be willing to accept your shortcomings - the quicker we are to acknowledging our problems the quicker we can find a solution. :thumbup:

Yeah, maybe I should work smaller until I get the hang of it. I've actually started these in grayscale so I could paint the shades and then overlay colour when I was satisfied.

I'll do some simpler basic concept artwork rather than full-blown illustrations. I just tend to aim high because I want to get an epic piece done.