Home Unreal Engine

Starting an environment - UDK BSP block out to 3DS Max

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
hey all,

I'm starting work on a modular environment, first step is to block it out within UDK using the BSP brushes. I then want to model all assets/textures in 3DS Max, Photoshop.

I would appreciate advice on how you use the BSP block out, do you import tha blockout into 3DS Max or is it purely a visual tool within UDK?.. do you somehow link the blocks created in UDK to the assets in 3DS Max so the BSP model updates automatically?.. do you actually use any of the geometry created in UDK, presumably floors/walls may just need textures applied and therefore you don't need to model them in a separate 3D package?...

..how should it be done?

Cheers

Martin

Replies

• Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    If your asking about a workflow idea, heres what I do:

1) Block out the abosulte general scene in UDK with bsp brushes.

2) I start with modeling the floor and walls in 3ds max, texturing them and bring them into UDK.

3) More specific assest like support beams, doors, etc. Then go even more spacefic like props(barrels, trash cans, etc)

4) After I get all the basic assets into my scene I'll then do things like break up tiling where needed, maybe some vertex blending, post process tweaking, until I get it how I want it.

Number 2 and 3 depend on the environment your working on however. Like instead of walls and floors, your doing an outside environment so all you need is the floor, etc. This is what I would do. Prorobly not the best tho cuz I'm not that expierenced myself. Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in. Hope this helps! = )
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    you can export BSP in UDK.

it's under File>Export>Export Selected (select the BSP face you want to export)

I do it all the time to ensure that I have the right measurements for modular pieces I'm making.
  • knak47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocking out the general environment in UDK vs MAX, is there a reason one is better or worse or is it just preference?
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    i block out in UDK cuz that's what I'm ultimately rendering my scene in. So I use the grid to measure distances and sizes of stuff.
  • knak47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but aren't the units universal unless you change them?
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz, thanks that's useful, I just want to make sure I'm not heading off in the wrong direction so anyones workflow would be great to know.

,,and yeh I had also wondered why you couldn~t just block out in Max if you use the same grid, the BSP brushes feel a bit clumsy.... I'll be giving it a go later so should clear up a few things.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    knak47 wrote: »
    Blocking out the general environment in UDK vs MAX, is there a reason one is better or worse or is it just preference?

Doing it in udk means you can playtest right away. This is very important. Especially in a production environment where you would have a separate designer.
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found this, from the ever useful Hourences site

http://www.hourences.com/tutorials-ue3-modeling-2-advanced/

Can I model the entire level?

Yes you can. You do not need to use BSP if you do not want to. However, even while modeling an entire level may be possible, an incorrect approach will make performance suffer heavily. Meshes that are too large will be hard to occlude, as mentioned before, they will put a huge burden on the system when lit with dynamic lights, and they will eat considerable amounts of memory. If you want to model an entire level, you should split it into many small parts, and reuse as many parts as you can. Unreal instances meshes so if you have the choice between placing a crate in the level in your 3D package, or in Unreal, you should go for Unreal.
    If you do not, the crate will be rendered as an entirely new object, where as if it were placed as a mesh in Unreal, it would be remember from the last time the crate was used, which is obviously faster.
    Bottom line is, create the hull of the level in your modeling package of choice, and anything else that is large and unique. All small details however, should be placed as much as possible in the editor itself. Refrain from already placing trees, lamps, pillars, crates and so on in a 3D package, but keep them as separate individual models and place them after importing. This will also aid your workflow on the long term, even if it may feel limiting at this moment.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    I'm pretty sure that (well according to my tests) that pure meshes alone won't occlude each other only the bsp will occlude from display (unless I'm doing something wrong), so having some sort of BSP is required for a decent frame rate.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Gilgamesh wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that (well according to my tests) that pure meshes alone won't occlude each other only the bsp will occlude from display (unless I'm doing something wrong), so having some sort of BSP is required for a decent frame rate.

In unreal 2.5 (UT 2004) this is true. However unreal 3 (udk) uses a per-poly occlusion and all meshes occlude.