Home General Discussion

I need some advice for 3D

Well i am starting first to learn the basic modeling techniques in maya,and i have a lot of fun.But, how do you guys make so realistic characters? I've heard that after modeling a character everyone are applying textures? Can you tell me how is in row the process of making realistic things,
I know that first you do is:
1. Concept art
2,modeling
3.???
4???
Sorry for such a noobish question but i am new at this:D

Replies

• MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Kachuro wrote: »
    Well i am starting first to learn the basic modeling techniques in maya,and i have a lot of fun.But, how do you guys make so realistic characters? I've heard that after modeling a character everyone are applying textures? Can you tell me how is in row the process of making realistic things,
    1. Concept art
    2,modeling
    3.???
    4???

Dont be trollin' Fork.

I would say you list is a bit messed up. It should go

1. Reference
    2. Reference
    3.More Reference
    4. Concept Art
    5. Modelling
    6. Unwrapping (Making UV's; what you will texture with later) Always do this before skinning your character for animation
    7. Make a rig
    8. Skinning
    9. Animation and beyond.

Go here and buy everything that has that orc on the cover ;)http://eat3d.com/training_videos
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    1. Concept art, find an idea you like
    2. Start laying down the body and sculpting, work side by side with reference. This step will create a manikin to for the next step.
    3. Export a mid level density, bring into your editor for dressing.
    4. Start to add the clothes and accessories, these are usually modeled to fit the form
    5. return to sculpting (if you sculpt) and add details to the pieces.
    6.Export all high res meshes, and all low res meshes.
    7. Combine the low res pieces, retopologize if needed (requires high level meshes also)
    8. uv map
    9. Bake
    10. texture

A little more indepth but characters are probably the most complex of the bunch.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Haha sorry I just couldn't resist such a set up! Seriously though the best way to get better is by doing. Just keep practicing. Looking up tutorials and the polycount wiki are great help too. Also I find I learn a lot from watching timelapses in youtube of artists doing their work. Still the best is practice.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Kachuro wrote: »
    1. Concept art
    2,modeling
    3.???
    4???

Well, there is sculpting involved in realistic character (mostly).

There is spatular map, normal map, displacement map, diffuse map (aka texture, are involved in it as well.

but before that you need to learn how to unwrap uvs. You missed that part, so
    1. Concept art.
    2. Modeling.
    3. Unwrapping UV maps.
    4. creating high res model out of the low res model (overlapping each other)
    5. Creating the MAPS (normal, diffuse), for the low res model.
    6. Rig.
    7. Animate.
    8. ??
    9. Am I going too far?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I think before asking us what you need to do, you need to watch a few tutorials, there are plenty of them on Youtube and Vimeo, and taking a look at the Polycount wiki can also help.

We can sit all day and answer ALL of your questions, but it will be pointless since:
    A) We don't know what kind of drive you have.
    B) What kind of skills you already.
    C) What your goal is.

So in that regard, I honestly suggest some research and once you have narrowed down on what you want would be a good start to asking us what can be done. There simply too many variables.