Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Ivan Mijatov - Character Artist

Hey, what's up everyone!

I'm building fresh material for my portfolio website and would appreciate any feedback you guys can give as I work on adding new content to the 'site.
logo.png

Any comments will do, on the website and/or on the artwork itself. It all helps: http://www.imijatov.com/

Replies

• Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe for the time being instead of seperating your work on there, you should just group it all under one section, possibly with larger thumbnails all next to each other. Also the red and blue at the top really distracts away from the artwork, maybe you should desaturate those a bit and then boost the colour on your work, or give them a coloured border perhaps? Also if you're expanding this you should consider adding different types of character instead of just humans, such as demons or monsters, to really show off your capabilities.

The layout is nice and clean otherwise, which is good to see in a portfolio. Good start :)
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Your blog content should be on your portfolio, if they are finish. Also, like Ihazard, the blue and red banner are really distracting. Honestly, they are the first thing that catch up my eyes, instead of your content. Same thing with your copyright at the bottom. The real focus should be on your works, not on the banner or the copyright. So a desaturation would be nice. :)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    something small... but... It really bothers me that you have your K-9 teeth on the vampire guy in the wrong place. The sharp teeth should be one more set of teeth out.
    Good work otherwise.
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! All great help. The colors seemed to be the main nuisance, so they've been completely nixed.

lhazard - I've combined all the works under one heading for the time being. I defintely want to do creatures, all in due time. Thanks for the suggestions!

megalmn2000 - I decided to ditch the blog altogether (at least for now). Good call on the blue/red banner footer colors. They've been taken out.

jeremiah_bigley - Thannks bro, I see what you mean. I'll have to reconsider the placement. I was following references like this one: http://www.topnews.in/files/vampire-teeth.jpg

Well, I have tons of art I still want to get done, so back to the grindstone...
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better now.
    The dark grey text on darker grey isn't easy to read, well, for the first time. You should change the contrast so it makes the text more easier to read. Also, add some texture sheets and wire frames to your presentation, it's important.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Not bad, not bad at all! Really like your work so far, strona and realistic even though it's fantasy. It says in your CV that you have several shipped titles? How come you don't have any work from then? or what studios you've been working with? Would be cool to see.

I would love to see texture-sheets as well. Good work man.
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 - Thanks for the input again, man! Great catch on the text blending in. I've upped the brightness on the text as well as the resume and contact icons. I didn't get a chance to add the textures/wires before but they are there for both characters now.

chrisradsby - Thanks bro! Yes, I've worked at Midway for ~3.5 years before they unfortunately went under. However, I'm aiming for a new quality bar with the content I'm creating now so I'll not be putting in any of my work from that previous job. I've not been working with any other studio since... Love your website, btw.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just push a little bit more the brightness of the text and it's gonna be perfect. Same thing with the icons on your contact section.
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks megalmn2000!

Question to anyone: Is it a good or bad idea to start applying to places with only two 3d character assets to show at the moment?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    A tad bit dark, but I like the content! :) Good stuff.

Since you don't have loads of content yet, you could just put everything on the index, instead of separating by categories, less is more and if you show most of your good stuff on the index, you KNOW people will see it. If you separate your work with categories, odds are that people will just click the ones that they think it's good, and this nano second judgment is based on the thumbnail.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imijatov wrote: »
    megalmn2000 - Thanks for the input again, man! Great catch on the text blending in. I've upped the brightness on the text as well as the resume and contact icons. I didn't get a chance to add the textures/wires before but they are there for both characters now.

chrisradsby - Thanks bro! Yes, I've worked at Midway for ~3.5 years before they unfortunately went under. However, I'm aiming for a new quality bar with the content I'm creating now so I'll not be putting in any of my work from that previous job. I've not been working with any other studio since... Love your website, btw.

Thanks man, wow Midway eh? Too bad it went under, quite liked their games. You got a lot of good stuff man, good luck :)!
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean/shoe work in progress of a new 'adventure' character I'm working on for the port:

prj03_01.png

Trying to shoot for a quality bar like the Uncharted 2 main characters or catstyles sweet cowboy piece. Critiques and comments welcome.
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adventure character modeling update:

prj03_02.png

Next, I'm moving on to making some hair for him and, after that, giving him some accessories. What do you think about stuff he can wear? I was thinking a backpack, grappling hook, whip, dagger or combat knife, watch, compass, holster and gun, and anything else that would be useful on him without making him look too busy.
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will probably be the final modeling update:

prj03_03.png
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Initial start on the texture, wrapping up the skin portions:

prj03_05.png
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest diffuse texturing updates:

prj03_06.png

Remaining things to texture: shirt/undershirt, backpack, hat, hair, shoes. Still would like to touch up the jeans and tool bag a bit. I'm shooting to wrap up the diffuse map portions by the end of this forthcoming weekend when I hopefully get more time. NOTE: There's currently no AO map. That's coming after I do the hires sculpt.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    the diffuse is coming along really nice, man!
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Alberto, I appreciate it man! Beautiful object/environment work likewise.

Currently in the process of wrapping up the diffuse texture for the character. There's only a few other tweaks left: hair polish, dirt/wound pass, and - further down the line - an AO overlay.

prj03_07c.png

Next, I plan to weigh him first. Then pose and do the hires sculpt afterwards. I've never worked through the creation pipeline in this order before. But I wanted to make the hires pass more interesting this time around (no t or 45d posing).
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool, I had another look at your portfolio, you should definitely change the thumbnails to colored versions. Mainly because it looks better I think, I got the impression that you had unfinished work in your portfolio. :) Great progress man, looking forward to this one. Looks awesome flat-shaded.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Diffuse is great. Very clean. Any tips on your workflow?
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby: Thanks Chris, glad you made that comment. I've switched the thumbs to colored versions. Does that look better to you? I think I'll keep to this new format from now on.

LRoy: My current workflow for creating a diffuse is as follows: Export my 0-1 UVs as a 32-bit Targa image file. Import the image into an image editor app (Photoshop, in my case). Copy alpha channel, drop/paste into new PSD file. Marquee out a UV shell that corresponds with a piece on the character with the lasso tool (for example: face). Then, fill that selection in with the paint buck tool (single solid color). For each new UV shell, I'll make a new layer and rinse, repeat. I'll use these layers as an easy way to quick select specific shells as I'm working on them. Next, step is export the image file as a new PSD. Open that up in a separate tab/window, flip it vertically, save. This PSD will be used for ZBrush's ZappLink utility. I load up ZBrush, import my OBJ file, draw the OBJ tool into the ZBrush canvas, select an angle of the tool I want to first work on, then go to "Document", click on ZAppLink button. Takes me into Photoshop, then I paint/stack layers directly on the model. When I'm happy with my color work, I'll take it back into ZBrush. Rinse/repeat. Once done, I'll drop the PSD texture I created with ZBrush back into my original PSD file with the UVs and do any necessary touchups, paint overs to artifacts or other details that didn't come out quite right (they're usually minor). This process is probably similar to a lot of 3d artists. I hope this is the info you were looking for. If you need more, just let me know.

dustinbrown: Good catch, I was afraid of that. I've punched up the contrast/color up a bit so it stands out more. Hope this works better?
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    have you allready done the high poly, or is this model diffuse only? if not, i'd love to see how your high polys coming along too!

Technically he looks good, the texturing seems to be coming along nicely, however I have some problems with the design. For me, it lacks some creative input, and comes off as fairly derrivitive of other similar protagonists in the process.

Namely, the ring necklace, the wristband thing, and the belt are almost direct nathan drake copies, whilst the hat and whip are extremely indiana jones, so if you're trying to bring something new to the table, you need to try and steer away from these characters, even if they are inspiring for this sort of character.

Secondly, his accessories are just not selling him as a hardened explorer. He looks more like a tourist, with all his toys in his backpack. You need to try a subtler approach with all his bits and bobs, and try and subtly tell a story using them. At the moment it's kinda going "LOOK I'M AN EXPLORER, YOU CAN TELL THIS BECAUSE I HAVE A COMPASS, AND CHECK OUT MY SWEET MAP TOO." In my opinion, you need to tone this way down, and try and get accross his explorer character without screaming it in my face.

Technically, the only issue i see is the length of the shirt. A man's shirt should come down to around the crotch, maybe a bit higher. I presume it's tucked in all the way round bar the front and that bit at the back, if that's the case, there should be a good bit bulging where it's tucked in, and the untucked bits should be a lot lower.

It's coming along really well technically, but i do think you need to put more emphasis on the creative process before you jump in too far with the model
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Hey I live 3 hours from you :P

I really dig the website and the textures on this new character.
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace: Thanks for your thorough critique, it's seriously appreciated! Frankly, I've purposely chosen to do that familiar looking belt, necklace, and wristband. Reasoning behind it is that I wanted to prove to myself that I can do a Nathan Drake-esque character. I'm definitely not trying to break any creative ground with this character, but do want to achieve a good level of technical execution - which from your comment - sounds like I'm doing. Nonetheless, thanks for bringing it up as it's still food for thought as I work on him.

I've not done the hi-poly yet. However I'm moving on to that tonight or tomorrow before the new work week starts. I've already prepared and exported all my lo-res geometry for the sculpting process. Stay tuned for updates later down the line.

ZacD: Kansas City, huh? Awesome man, I've visited the zoo there twice with my fiancee, it's a very enjoyable place. Can't believe the kangaroos are free to roam anywhere in the zoo where they please. Thanks, I appreciate the website/character comment.
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rigged and posed for hi-res sculpting:

prj03_08.png
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on the head and hat. Right now I've begun adding mustache details, still have a ways to go with these two tools:

prj03_09.png

I sit here at work and think how aggravating it is that I can't spend more of my time on the character. There just never seems to be enough time with my current job eating up the main portion of my day. Wonder if anyone else ever feels that way…
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpting and texture looks good! You should put an ambient occlusion map on your character, the texture looks realistic but flat.
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Minh - Yes, all within due time... I plan to add an AO map overlay upon completion of the hires sculpt.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    You do the diffuse before sculpting?
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you even posed it before sculpting? strange. looks good tho
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ha, kick ass model man!
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy and makecg - Hey guys, not sure why you find this process strange? If you don't mind, please enlighten me. I certainly have a ton to learn and if there's a better way of approaching my character creation pipeline, I'm all ears and eyes for it.

kanga - I appreciate that bro, thanks!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Usually you would sculpt first so you know what to texture. But I suppose if you were going off a photo it could work either way. Obviously it does for you. Looks great.
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy - Thanks for the clarification, was just curious – is all :). I hope the ZApplink method benefits you in your art pipeline from our private message exchange earlier.

Below you’ll find a second sculpting update. After this one, there should be one final one. The shirt is very much a work-in-progress. I’ll keep an eye on the thread for critiques or comments. Thanks for viewing:

prj03_10.png
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, really nice work. Keep going! :)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah man definitely helps out a ton! Are those pockets sculpted?
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy: Awesome, glad to hear it! Yes, the pockets are sculpted in.

Time to start pulling all the lose ends together now and running a polish pass on everything. Here's a final sculpting update:

prj03_02.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Looks good man. I feel like the folds on the jeans are too similar to those on the shirt however. The cotton material is likely much lighter than the thick jean.
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the final result:

prj03_01.jpg

Thanks for all of the feedback, it's greatly appreciated. It's really helped to shape the character into what he is today. There's always more that can be done of course, but I'm happy with him at this point and it's time to move on.

In the future, I'll try to post new wips and finished pieces in this thread as I get to them.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, that's some solid work. Could we see your texture sheets?
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks there Tenchi! Yes, here're the maps for this guy:

prj03_04.jpg

You can also find them on my portfolio website.
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's time to practice on another character bust! So, for my 4th portfolio piece, I've decided to inject a bit of style and saturated color. I'll be doing a variation of a night elf from the World of Warcraft universe. Will be posting my work-in-progress shots below as I make headway on her.

prj04_nightelf_01.png
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Completed the hair and modeled the torso. I would probably like to add a few extra rows of polys, especially around the boob and lower torso area:

prj04_nightelf_02.png

Next update will be the final update for modeling. It'll include the armor and accessories.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice dude. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Don't forget to put the wireframe of your explorer, really important in your portfolio. I would also specify the triangle count (ex: 10, 000 tris) and the texture size (ex: 2 x 1024). It's coming really nice! :)
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Megalmn2000, good suggestion. Thanks for letting me know. I'll be sure to add the wireframes for him sometime in the near future. Final mesh update for the night elf bust coming soon...
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will be the final modeling update. I'm excited to start exploring hand-painted texturing on this gal. I'm hoping to finish unwrapping the UVs this evening or sometime tomorrow.

prj04_nightelf_03.png
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Very clean modeling. What's your method for the hair?
  • brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandv3d polycounter lvl 12
    Really nice character and cool website dude. Wish you had more on there, but 3 best pieces are better than 10 ok pieces. I noticed a small glitch on your site, when I,(Well first of all, it's a really cool website. FLASH?), but when I click on "Jacqueline Celestia, Elven Queen" and then back to the either 2 other characters your pages don't line up and transition evenly/smoothly back to your other pages of characters. If you don't know what I mean, just flip through the pages and watch it jump.
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy - For modeling hair, I simple start with a single polygon plane across the scalp, preferably from a hairline point. From there, I keep extruding edges from the original poly plane to form new poly planes - following the shape of the skull as I'm doing this - until I get the desired shape. This is how I've approached all hair thus far. Although it changes slightly depending on the type of hair it is.

brand3d - Thanks there, Brand! Yes, I wish I had more on there, too. I'm aiming for a couple of more pieces, but it just takes time I'm afraid. And time is so limited, since I'm doing this in my spare time, like most of us here I think.