Home Technical Talk

a lot like "Weld" function, but without the actual welding?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
Here´s a thought - Is there any feature in max that allows you to place selected vertices on the same place (center of selection) without actually welding them together? I´m working on a project where I could use such thing, but so far the only options I have is to select certain vertices and either use scale to get them together, or weld them and then use split for certain edges. It´s not that much of a problem because both these methods are quite quick, but it´s getting way too repetitive to do it this way and it would save me a lot of nerves to be able to use a feature made directly for such thing. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies

• Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are looking for the fuse button. I don't use it much so I am not sure if it will work for really far distances.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    You can always use the Planar buttons in Edit Poly / Edit Geometry. Just press X, Y and Z, and all selected vertexs is at the same place. Optimally you could always script it.
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    macroScript NotWeld
    	category:"Scripts"
    	buttonText:"NotWeld"
    	toolTip:"NotWeld"
    (
    	$.EditablePoly.MakePlanarIn #X
    	$.EditablePoly.MakePlanarIn #Y
    	$.EditablePoly.MakePlanarIn #Z
    )

Throw it into notepad, save out as a .mcr, drag and drop it into Max... and then assign it a quad menu or hot-key. (Via the "Scripts" categeory). Requires editable poly and your desired vert selection.

Making it a button is pretty redundant, as literally just hitting "X Y Z" as McGreed suggested is only milliseconds slower than hitting the one button you'd make.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Dismembered: fuse is a spline op
  • leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leechdemon polycounter lvl 11
    Snap is your friend.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leechdemon wrote: »
    Snap is your friend.

this.

right click the snaps button. vertices.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I never really thought about using planar X,Y,Z to get the desired result.
    Big thanks to GeeDave for the script code - works as a charm! you just saved me lots of headaches. Thank you very much again!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    this.

right click the snaps button. vertices.

doesn't average the vert position.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    dont use max much but in silo and maya i found it pretty fast to just do a weld followed by a break, that way i can get the verts in the same spot with averaged, than break it back into 2 verts.
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 18
    Planar X,Y,Z is nice but its missing an important function that weld has;
    A threshold spinner.
    I've wanted something similar myself, especially in the UV editor where you often just want to overlap UV clusters perfectly and not necessarily weld them...
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    dont use max much but in silo and maya i found it pretty fast to just do a weld followed by a break, that way i can get the verts in the same spot with averaged, than break it back into 2 verts.

breaking vertices would only give me more work, since it would split the connected 1 vertex into 4 vertices. And I would have to select the certain 2 of them to weld together again and same process for the other 2 vertices (and since they´d be laying all on one spot, it would be pain in the ass to do the selections).
    What I was using so far was splitting edges, that did separate the certain vertices without breaking them completely.

But the script code GeeDave wrote for me works perfectly. That´s exactly what I needed and there´s absolutely no possible way for this to be done any more comfortable or faster, I believe.