Home Technical Talk

Shrink Wrapping (3ds Max)?

In Max is there a way to shrink wrap an object around another (ie using scale or push modifier)?

Modo has the Background Constraint tool, which allows the scale tool to be used to constrain one mesh to another.

In Max, is the only option to go around pushing it on bit by bit with the conform brush, and then cleaning up?

Replies

• GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    I've seen people use cloth to do this... I wouldn't recommend it.

There's also this free script: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/max-retopo

Or, a commercial script: http://www.matt-clark.co.uk/wrapit/spe.php?o=177

Or... if you're using 2012, I'm pretty sure it comes with some cool new features that will do this. I can't remember what they're called though.

This is the sort of thing you're after right? Or am I mistaken?

Edit
    I know I'm just throwing re-topo stuff at you, but these do have functions to "fit" a mesh around another mesh.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't tried either of those out yet. It looks like it might be what I need.

Yeah I'm looking to shrink wrap a surface around another surface. It's for hard surface modeling though so I don't want it to relax the edges when wrapping. I only want it to scale/push the verts inwards (in their Normal directions) and stop when they hit the other mesh.

I didn't see anything similar in 2012, but maybe I missed it? Those conform brushes look like they'd produce a messy result.
  • Ace-Angel
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max retopo is a great little script, version 2.0 should be coming out soon.

Wrapit is another amazing script with even more awesome features but it costs 30 bucks. I have wrapit love it I wouldn't retopo in max without it.

A great stand alone app is topogun, quite a few people use it and swear by it, personally I found it a bit buggy and didn't like having to use another app.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Topogun still needs alot of cleanup and some of workflow for the tools is off, and certain bugs can peak up later in the retopo, so there is that. I literally had a friend break down and cry because the character he spent so much time retopoing caused isolated vertices in parts of the mesh + with holes.

Wrapit, I can attest to it like Mark that it's awesome...honestly, just export you model to Max in a reasonable level to keep the silhouette and topo away. You have both the Wrapit tools as well Max's inbuilt tools, so double the possibilities to get your stuff done.

The Graphite tools are also functional, but they lack the proper documentation that came with Polyboost, so you might end up with strange things, such as vertices being always displayed. Plus, they kinda are annoying to setup properly (loads of flipping occurring randomly).

@Mark: Great news to hear MaxRetopo is coming out soon!
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first tool here looks like what I want (1:59) (before relaxing): [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n724G7uMuPE[/ame]

On the Wrapit site, it seems to relax the geo too. Can it shrink wrap without relaxing?

I'm not interested in the create tools as it's just for conforming an existing mesh to another.

It's a shame that Max designed new tools for conform. It would have been better for it to work with all the existing tools and modifiers. Scaling, or the Push Modifier, would have been perfect.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Since starting to learn maya, I really miss my wrapit!

Wrapit lets you switch on 'auto-wrap' mode, which projects all your unlocked low verts onto the reference meshes ion real time. You can lock/unclock verts as you fix areas and tweak them to your liking. It works with all normal max tools (including the graphite tools for mesh creation)

It is very much worth the cost IMO.
  • WhiteNorthStar
    yeah, I have the same question as Playdo, can Wrapit do mesh over mesh shrink-wrapping without relaxing?