Home General Discussion

Transformers 3 : Dark of the moon

Replies

• danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i'm going to assume they'll put up the big 'if you're an adult and you enjoy this movie, you've got a very small penis and your mother dislikes what you've become' sign before the film starts again? When all the hurt, huffy over-defensiveness kicks off in this thread in a short while, i guess we'll know
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Just got out from seeing it, recommend it. :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    danr wrote: »
    i'm going to assume they'll put up the big 'if you're an adult and you enjoy this movie, you've got a very small penis and your mother dislikes what you've become'

I could have swooorn they had a sign that read "If you don't enjoy this movie you're an uptight, over-thinking, arrogant snob". I think. ;P
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Lol...whats with Megatron wearing a cape/rags. Is his disguise mechanism not working now so he just throws some rags on?

"They'll never recognise me"

megatronj.jpg
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    He lost half his face in the last movie, uses that to cover it up.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    He's also apparently a semi now too..
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    He's also apparently a semi now too..

Lol...a Semi in the UK is very different to a Semi in the US.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Lol...a Semi in the UK is very different to a Semi in the US.

yeah you guys call em a lorry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-trailer
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    He's trying to avoid getting sunburn. Leave him alone
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I like the thought that he turns into a "semi". Its giving me a good chuckle.
    He lost half his face in the last movie, uses that to cover it up.

"Robots in disguise!"

megatron1.jpg
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quote from a review on seibertron.com that sums up my feeling about it pretty well:

"If you're looking for the next Academy Award winner or Oscar winner for best picture, go see something else so we don't have to hear you complain about Transformers Dark of the Moon. If you are just looking for a great, fun summer blockbuster with TONS of action, lots of special effects, a pretty girl, some very cool cars (and robots too), and destruction galore -- you should, without a doubt, see this film. If you're a Transformers fan, then this is 100% required watching in my book.

Is this the best film in the world? No. Is it another very enjoyable summer blockbuster? Of course it is. Are there some problems with the storytelling? Yep. But hey … it's Transformers, it's not Revenge of the Fallen, and it was a fun couple of hours watching exciting craziness unfold before my very 3d weary eyes."

I had a blast watching it, it was infinitely better than Revenge of the Fallen. It's a much more serious movie than the last one (i.e. no robot testicle jokes). As a fan of the franchise, I felt like I definitely got my money's worth, and think they righted the ship after the last film, and sent the trilogy out the right way.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    The only review of this shit you need to read: http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/transformers3.htm

"Transformers 3: Asshole is good, all-American, Patriot Act and Internet-smut fun that will send your handsome white sons off to die in war, armed to the teeth with all the metal-fetish, extreme xenophobia, and sexual frustration this film can pump into them."
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Did Micheal Bay see capes on 60 minutes or something?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I could have swooorn they had a sign that read "If you don't enjoy this movie you're an uptight, over-thinking, arrogant snob". I think. ;P

We put up with the bulk of the Transformers films so that we can hear Peter Cullen's voice and watch the impressive special effects. The lion's share of these movies are tolerated so that we can get to the explosions and set pieces. But please don't bother trying to defend them. Their faults are legion. Anyone with a half a brain finds them difficult to ignore, even in the middle of all the action.

I understand that in this film they have Leonard Nimoy ripping quotes directly from Star Trek. That's...that's just sad. I'm personally grateful that they managed to recruit Leonard Nimoy, he has a fantastic voice and could handle this part with his eyes closed. But cribbing from old Star Trek films for content is weak, even with the vocal talent tie-in. Younger children and modern teens who aren't familiar with the reference won't care in the slightest. But for the older audience who "get" it, it's just embarrassing.

If being able to effectively evaluate the quality of the writing, acting, and plot makes me an uptight, over-thinking, arrogant snob, then I'm afraid I can't help being just that. I'll check my brain at the door, but sooner or later I'm going to have to chime in on the obvious failings.

I'm really just hoping its better than Revenge.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator

i was right then

nerrrrrrrrrrr
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At this point, you know what these movies are going to be: Flawed, fun, summer action, popcorn movies. They are not everyone's cup of tea. Some people like them, some people don't.

After 3 movies, I find it hard to believe that people get so upset by the "stupidity" of these things, as if Michael Bay is completely insulting you directly. If you don't like them, don't spend money on them.

I'm amazed that this franchise draws so much extreme negativity, from people that keep paying money to see it. It's really that simple, voting with your dollar is a more effective way of changing how Hollywood views the summer action movie that the same ol' tired rage rants that always accompanies these films.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    The only review of this shit you need to read: http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/transformers3.htm

"Transformers 3: Asshole is good, all-American, Patriot Act and Internet-smut fun that will send your handsome white sons off to die in war, armed to the teeth with all the metal-fetish, extreme xenophobia, and sexual frustration this film can pump into them."

Yep, that sounds about right to me judging from what the other films were like. I won't be going to see this to support such crap. My opinion.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    its what you do with it that counts
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When the only real defense you can muster is "haters gonna hate," that's a bad sign. I can understand some people's insistence on "liking" the Transformer films. Sometimes there are certain guilty pleasures that we all indulge in. There are things that we know aren't good, and aren't good for us, but we like them anyway. I know that Deep Rising is not a very good movie, but I like it despite its flaws.

When it comes to the Transformer films, I think a lot of people object to what they represent. The attitudes that those movies assume towards women, minorities, and humanity in general are a potentially negative influence. They are the embodiment of something inherently dark and cynical.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See there's your problem, Richard. Attitudes towards women? Minorities? You read into it WAAAAAY too much.

Was Avatar awesome? Yes. Was it a "good" movie? No. Shitty story, shitty acting. "Unobtainium"? Give me a break. But it was FUN. Same with Tron Legacy. Same with every Rambo movie. Same with Star Wars or Running Man or 50% of every movie on the market.

Honestly man, do NOT watch a movie that has less than a 90% rating on Rotten Tomatoes because you will not be happy and all you will do is complain.

I think the hate with Transformers is more because Bay has stomped all over your childhood memories and preconceived notions of what Transformers is and/or was. Have you gone back and watched the cartoon series or even the original movie? They really are not that great. Fun yes, but not great.

Not every movie can be Shawshank Redemption or Inception. It's good to just relax and have fun once in a while. Sitting there nitpicking and over analyzing a movie, trying to root out hidden meanings and social undertones is a frivolous waste of time and obviously makes you grumpy, so why the hell do it? Just sit back and enjoy the awesome special effects, thunderous sounds and amazing pyrotechnics.
  • Stinger88
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The Star Wars prequels have some cool action sequences too
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    8FtSpider wrote: »

this review is pretty poorly written

but, he's got a point about using actual history footage, its a dam shame that people like bay can rewritte history and people will buy it.

the moon landing should not be played wiht!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Is the reason people Transformers so much because this is the best representation they've gotten yet? Star Wars ep 1-3, Matrix 2 & 3, the latest Indiana Jones; they could be compared unfavorably to the ones that came before - or did they really just need more explosions and hot chicks?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy wrote: »
    the moon landing should not be played with!

What? NASA faked those in a hangar at Norton Air Force Base in San Bernadino, California :P
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See there's your problem, Richard. Attitudes towards women? Minorities? You read into it WAAAAAY too much.

Was Avatar awesome? Yes. Was it a "good" movie? No. Shitty story, shitty acting. "Unobtainium"? Give me a break. But it was FUN. Same with Tron Legacy. Same with every Rambo movie. Same with Star Wars or Running Man or 50% of every movie on the market.

Honestly man, do NOT watch a movie that has less than a 90% rating on Rotten Tomatoes because you will not be happy and all you will do is complain.

I think the hate with Transformers is more because Bay has stomped all over your childhood memories and preconceived notions of what Transformers is and/or was. Have you gone back and watched the cartoon series or even the original movie? They really are not that great. Fun yes, but not great.

Not every movie can be Shawshank Redemption or Inception. It's good to just relax and have fun once in a while. Sitting there nitpicking and over analyzing a movie, trying to root out hidden meanings and social undertones is a frivolous waste of time and obviously makes you grumpy, so why the hell do it? Just sit back and enjoy the awesome special effects, thunderous sounds and amazing pyrotechnics.

Let me ask you this then, why try half baked elements? I don't care of the kids, especially when their lines are "I'll be there for you", cheesy is fine, but over the top cliched which is a dead end? C'mon now. Why included ANY humans on this level? Include them as civilians, just don't make them the main theme here.

And the designs? Aren't we going for silthouthe (sp?) and colors most of the times to make designs pop in both the movies and games industry? How come out of ALL the movies, TF, which needs this the most is the most lacking in here? If for a multiplayer game like Team Fortress takes it's time in setting up designs so that the player can see something and KNOW what it is at a glance, why can't they do that for a big budget movie?

Also, why does MB keeps on harping on points like "the military this and that", only then to pull a back-handed slap on Goverment = bad and stupid, but soliders that don't follow rule = cool? Why doesn't keep on insterting stereotypical characters? Why does even the BASIC story break between movies?

You know what I find more shameful? People are willing to give TF from MB a freepass, but when we have genuinly interesting movies which follow the same formula like Avatar, Tron and Sucker-Punch, they suddenly get penalty. It is as if TF gets a yellow card, while all the other movies get a red card, and that's what bothers me most.

Liking TF is a matter of taste, no question, like any other movie, but why can't these movies keep the most basic stuff we have come to expect out of movies intact? What? Just because they're summer movies, doesn't mean horrible camera angles, cheap lines and clusterfuck designs are fine.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here, I'll quote myself to answer all of your questions regarding story, characters, etc:
    ..you know what these movies are going to be: FLAWED, fun, summer action, popcorn movies.

:p

I do see what you are saying, but at some point you just have to realize that these types of movies are always going to exist. Not all action summer movies are like that. But for every Matrix 1, there is a...Matrix 2.

As for the designs, (I feel like I've been having this argument since 2007) Bay wanted them to look very complex to show that they were a highly advanced robotic race. People can argue whether that's a good idea or not, but that was the reasoning behind it.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I enjoyed the movie very much.

had some awesome action in it.

that's all i care about.

thank you.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18

I have the original series on video, and have probably watched them all sometime in the last two years. They aren't great, but there also aren't any instances of robot testicles, dogs humping people's legs, robots pissing on anyone or moms getting high on marijuana brownies. Maybe that stuff happens in Beastwars, I couldn't got into that series.

IMO, Batman has shown two extremes that a comic/cartoon property can be taken. On the one hand, you've got something fairly dramatic and realistic in the Nolan series. Maybe a bit grim, but it more or less takes the premise seriously. On the other hand, you've got the juvenile silliness of the Schumacher batman. Neon lights, nipples on suits, "Everybody freeze!" - it's tongue-in-cheek and pretends at being serious without really taking the material seriously at all.

Michael Bay is making the Schumacher version of Transformers, albeit with nice effects. I'd much rather see a Chris Nolan treatment of the material.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Sorry to follow with two replies, but I'm curious: why couldn't you relax and have fun while watching Inception? I thought that movie was a lot of fun!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, are you guys going to really rehash the thread again? Not a different thread, but the same damn thread! If you don't like the movie series, then stop reading the thread about the movie. I'd prefer to hear from the people who have actually seen it now.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "I'd prefer to hear from the people who have actually seen it now"

Have you asked Adam if he'll moderate the threads to make sure the replies are in line with your preferences? Who knows, he might say yes!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for the designs, (I feel like I've been having this argument since 2007) Bay wanted them to look very complex to show that they were a highly advanced robotic race. People can argue whether that's a good idea or not, but that was the reasoning behind it.

Stating a reason does not make that reason good. And it certainly doesn't make the person stating it creative.

Let's be constructive here. What would have been a good way to achieve what Micheal Bay wanted, without making the robots look like over-complicated junk heaps? Here's an idea, he could have the robots look really, really complex underneath their exterior shells, and have a lot of that complexity show up while they are transforming. When they are actual robots, their designs would be simpler, more colorful, and showcase more elements from the vehicles they had transformed from. You could also expose more of their complex undercarriage whenever they are injured.

With a solution like that you achieve the goal MB claimed he was shooting for without creating ugly robot designs that are too visually busy for the audience to follow. It would also helped the audience differentiate between the various characters.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I saw it last night. Not bad. Pretty much the same problems the first two had... I read io9's review this morning. Seriously the best review ever lol. They compare Sam's attitude in the film to Michael Bay's. Worth the read.

http://io9.com/5816415/transformers-3-is-a-movie-about-how-wrong-you-were-to-hate-transformers-2
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    I'd prefer to hear from the people who have actually seen it now.

Your wish is my command. I just got back from seeing it. I will endeavor to avoid spoilers.

Surprisingly enough, my report actually has good news. The film was better than I was expecting. In fact, I am tempted to say that it is the best of the three Transformers films so far. It is definitely a healthy step up from Revenge of the Fallen. I think it outranks the first Transformers film by keeping the cast smaller, and by better restraining the actors. Also, the action sequences from Dark of the Moon are considerably more entertaining than the rather weak fare offered in the first film.

The plot of the movie was not terribly impressive. But it also wasn't the train wreck from Revenge of the Fallen. For the most part, it made sense. In hindsight, there were a few sequences that I would have retooled, or handled differently. A few opportunities for foreshadowing and character development that were overlooked. But the film was, on the whole, blissfully free of the gaping plot holes and inconsistencies that plagued RotF.

As an added bonus, Leonard Nimoy's character actually stole the show. He was easily one of the more interesting characters, and they gave him far more lines than I had been expecting. I also found the battle sequence at the end to be a far better climax to the film than either of its predecessors had. It was much more visually engaging, easier to follow, and ultimately satisfying.

This praise needs to be tempered with a little realism. This is still a Michael Bay film, and the Bayisms are in full force. The primary female in the film is still shamelessly objectified at every possible opportunity. To DotM's credit, she at least dresses more tastefully than her predecessor. Every black character shamelessly spouts thick urban dialect, often allowed to continue doing so for no obvious reason. There's at least one human character who is vilified to the point where they are no longer a believable character. And as always, the tone for the Autobots, and the theme of the film in general, are incredibly inconsistent and ham-fisted. One minute the protagonists are spouting off about freedom and the rights of all living things. The next minute they are declaring that they will "kill them all," and gunning down helpless opponents in the street.

So this is still a big, dumb, Micheal Bay film. Any rational mind will be groaning at every other line and rolling their eyes every time they see another billowing American flag. (all over the freaking place) But I can say with confidence that the Bay influence has been noticeably restrained, and does not constantly prevent you from enjoying the explosions and special effects. It is far from a good movie, but more in line now with the kind of dumb popcorn film one would expect from his Bayness.

The biggest complaint I have about this movie is that it requires a viewing of the previous two films. There are elements that you will not be able to follow without first seeing the last two films in the series. This movie could have been improved by divorcing it from its predecessors as much as possible.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    The change in tone was my biggest gripe. The movie's first moon and NASA scenes were so sweet. I was captivated. Then BAM!!!!! You are watching a movie about people now! But then a little later we went back to robots. Whooooooo robots! Then BAM.. back to sam. I particularly remember those first two "back to humans" transitions to be extremely eye-rollingly harsh.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your wish is my command. I just got back from seeing it.

Thank you :D
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    The change in tone was my biggest gripe. The movie's first moon and NASA scenes were so sweet. I was captivated. Then BAM!!!!! You are watching a movie about people now! But then a little later we went back to robots. Whooooooo robots! Then BAM.. back to sam. I particularly remember those first two "back to humans" transitions to be extremely eye-rollingly harsh.
    Exactly how I felt

The nassa/moon landing stuff awesome... People being people...Boring.. then Robots woohoo!:poly142:
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Went and saw it last night. Really enjoyed it. Also, some idiot got caught masturbating in the back of the theater and escorted out. There's nothing like seeing a bright light a few rows back and a cop yelling, "oh, you sick bastard," before grabbing the guy by the arm and pulling him out of the room all while he struggles to pull his pants up.

but yeah I enjoyed the movie.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    praetus wrote: »

MORE or LESS because of said incident?
  • Ace-Angel
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    Went and saw it last night. Really enjoyed it. Also, some idiot got caught masturbating in the back of the theater and escorted out. There's nothing like seeing a bright light a few rows back and a cop yelling, "oh, you sick bastard," before grabbing the guy by the arm and pulling him out of the room all while he struggles to pull his pants up.

hahha, wow. That tops everything I've experienced in the theaters. I guess the new chic is pretty hot ;)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To my previous comment, please read the last page, specifically "Haters".

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/06/topless_robots_transformers_3_faq.php?page=3
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    saw it last night and still trying to make up my mind how i feel about it. visually, it looks really nice overall, like most of bay's films, heavily color graded and some eye poppin effects/colors. the vfx work was pretty mindblowing, the entire intro sequence in 3d was pretty cool, same for the wing suit section. overall I thought the 3d complimented it alright and I normally hate 3d movies.

the same weird humor was all over the place which made the tone of the film oscillate like crazy and usually left me feeling like I didnt care. Turturros character was still way to over the top and crazy. Malcovitch was a weird addition to the cast, didnt bug me too much though.

the worst thing about the film was the sickening military "heros" pro-American freedom feel to everything, "now we are bringing the fight to them, for freedom" (thinly veiled Iraq/Afghanistan/Lybia analogy) and the halarious sequence of them invading a "Illegal middleast nuclear facility" it was just pretty laughable and seemed like military style brainwashing for the masses.

Overall I think I enjoyed the film, there was some eye rolling over the top moments but overall it was what I expected, giant robots fucking each other up while the picture looks pretty. I was expecting it to be just like the others and thats what I got and I am ok with that. I just wish Bay would stop writing or hiring people to inject that weird akward humor.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've found the portrayal of the Autobots in these movies to be both confusing, inconsistent, and sometimes downright unsettling. Supposedly, they are the "good" guys. And yet, they regularly behave in a manner that I find hard to rationalize with this assumption. This issue mainly crops up in the second and third movies. The robots' involvement in the first movie was so brief that it hardly comes up.

At the beginning of the second film, the Autobots are collaborating with the U.S. government to hunt down and kill Decepticons. We start off with a scene in China where they engage two Decpeticons in a heavily populated urban environment, and then proceed to murder them both. Although it has been established that Decepticons are the "bad guys," the Autobots are essentially functioning as a death squad. The Decepticons aren't shown doing anything even approaching villainy. They are just trying to hide out and keep a low profile. When one of the Decepticons has been incapacitated, and could probably be restrained alive, Optimus Prime executes it by shooting it in the face.

In the third film, the Autobots start the movie off by invading foreign nations at the behest of the U.S. government, and destroying a state-sponsored nuclear facility. This strikes me as a profoundly bad idea. An interstellar species taking sides in human conflicts is bad enough. But this just gets silly.

Later in the film Optimus un-ironically states that they intend to "kill them all." At one point he has another Transformer on the ground, begging for mercy, and he executes him in cold blood. (or oil, or whatever)

One minute the supposed protagonists are harping on about freedom and the rights of intelligent beings. The next minute they are "killing them all," and flatly refusing to take prisoners, or give anyone a chance to change their mind. There's even a point in the third movie where the Decepticons, the villains in this tale, DO take prisoners. The bad guys are able to behave in a more civilized fashion than the blood-thirsty Autobots.
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    I agree completely. Why does there have to be consistent pro-american conquest messages in there. Geh. If a Transformers movie came out where the Transformers were protecting Libyan soldiers and destroying US nuclear facilities, it would be a total outrage. Michael Bay would then be labeled a terrorist and shipped off to Guantanamo Bay where the cock meat sandwich would surely await...
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    'Til all are one...

...HUGE pile of dead foreigners, I mean robots! Take that, you un-American pussies!

I just can't enjoy these movies. I guess I could just turn my brain off and enjoy the action, but I can find better things to do that don't involve having to shut down my critical analysis of a subject in order to enjoy it.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Watched it and it was your basic total trash. I agree with you guys saying about the propaganda and morals. He also has a strange obsession with these authority figures. He has to have one that serves as the conflict who's going to shut this down and stop this nonsense "oh noes!!", and then they do the stupid thing and then they regret it and then there all commisatory and please help us.

The Robots are just plot devices they have no characters(different accents but thats not character).

Why would the Autobots be working for the US government any way, there not slaves or toys(althought thats what they behave like). Especially as the government fucks them every time.

I dont even understand how they write this. The total cliches, with the events set up so obviously. You feel nothing because you know a half an hour before whats going to happen.