Home General Discussion

Cryengine 3 SDK - Aug 2011

Keg
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Keg polycounter lvl 18
http://crymod.com/
We'll be giving you access to the latest, greatest version of CryENGINE 3 - the same engine we use internally, the same engine we give to our licensees, the same engine that powers Crysis 2.

This will be a complete version of our engine, including C++ code access, our content exporters (including our LiveCreate real-time pipeline), shader code, game sample code from Crysis 2, script samples, new improved Flowgraph and a whole host of great asset examples, which will allow teams to build complete games from scratch for PC.

Replies

• Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell yeah. Will definitely be trying this out.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Yusss.
    I had alot of fun with CryEngine 2 but I never really finished any big projects.
    Hope the character workflow has been a bit optimized.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also said 'full Live Create tools access'....

Mods could be ported to PS3 and Xbox 360! :) If they allow engine licensing for indie teams in the UDK fashion where they get a cut after a certain amount of money... then WHOA.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Well, Crytek is still probably charging like a half a mil for a full license I bet.
    That's what killed Cryengine 2 as an indie platform

"If you want to use it to make a game to launch commercially, we'd like to help you with that. If you want to take your product down a traditional commercial route, we will offer an innovative low cost licensing model if you want to release your game digitally."
    hmm... thats vague
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I only know a few games that use the CE2 engine and half of them went into Developmental Hell.

The asking price is too much, the people usually complain when a developer creates catoony graphics instead of hyper-realistic ones, the support is (and I have no idea what other people keep on saying this) next to dead, and any 'tips' they will add will only delay the inevitable.

CryTek needs to adapt to the market, you could blame UDK for pampering us all with it's license and robust engine essentially spear-heading the market like this, but this doesn't change the fact that even as a person who has no programming skills or sucks in advanced maths, I would much rather create a terrible game with my lack of any programming then sell a kidney inorder to 'test' a game in the free market with a price-tag like that on CE2/3.

Please note everything I said currently applies to CryTek as of 22/April/2011, they could change their methods and most likely will, but as of this date, Crytek isn't the best option for indie or new developers.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    All you need to know is: competition is good for everyone.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »
    All you need to know is: competition is good for everyone.

Depends, is Crytek going for the Indie market and new market or is it going Veteran? Time will tell, but if it's Veteran market, there is no competition over there since there are a BAJILLION commercial engines as well in-house trade engines, so all CE3 will do is 'add' another engine and no one would care.

If it's the Indie and New Market, then yes, it will fuel UDK to become better, but only if they can level head them, if they don't (aka high prices, non-update support, restricted DMA, etc...) they UDK will know it has the market, so it won't need to change nor feel to better itself since the only alternative is a risky-engine.

Infact, it could have even the opposite effect!
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    Yusss.
    I had alot of fun with CryEngine 2 but I never really finished any big projects.
    Hope the character workflow has been a bit optimized.

It hasn't. I HATE IT
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    This is definitely intriguing, but its going to get nowhere if they don't offer a licence similar to UDK. Their quiet vague comment on the matter obviously shows they probably won't offer an open straight up licence fee/cut like UDK.

I'm going to stick to developing with UDK for the next four months then see if they come up with a actual market competitive licensing offer when they release the engine for public use.

However, UDK has got enough restriction to make me want something more accessible...
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm curious to see what Crytek will bring to the table.

I just hope their pipeline isn't based solely on Max and/or Maya + Photoshop. If they really want indie developers to jump on their engine they're going to need to support Blender or have a way to import FBX, OBJ, Collada, and standard image formats directly.

Even with that I wonder how they will be able to compete with Unity and all that it has going for it.

I actually don't think that they are really targeting indie developers but rather smaller studios who are shopping around for an engine.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, everyone can test it out with the C2 Editor sometime in the next (few) month(s?) - it's an awesome engine for games :)
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome news! I'm also interested in an FBX importer though. That would be even better news.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyler wrote:
    How much were you paid to say that? :P
    well i'm not in the liberty to tell you the exact amount, but it covers my cost of living :P
    Hboybowen wrote:
    lol i love artist who talk like a commercial.:\
    true that :D Just love the prototyping with Flowgraph and the Render features.
    EmAr wrote:
    Awesome news! I'm also interested in an FBX importer though. That would be even better news.
    :thumbup: Yes, I want FBX as well.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    william wallace:
    FREEeeDOMMmmmM!

Can't wait to see what everyone does with this, damn that we have to wait months!
  • sueds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sueds polycounter lvl 11
    I'd love to work on cryengine because my game requires a open evironment and I could think of better engine than cryis. But the problem is the toolset.

IF you compare it to udk it's pretty weak. I hope crytek does somethink about it. Because udk with the particles, anim editor material editor(node based) etc is a real help for small team.
    Not to have to deal with shader and such that great.

Also you can program in c++ but I just what to script I don't plan to extend the engine. So is lua as robust as unrealscipt I don't know. flowgraph sounds cool though. Better than kismet.

I guess we'mm see in august, but to me for an indie market the cryengine will have it hard.

Maybe
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    C++ access. I doubt it means that we will get source code for engine.
    It means we will get access to all gameplay code as well as possibility to extend engine and editor via custom libraries and plugins, (for those who don't know GamePlay code in CryEngine is written in C++).
    LUA is just for scripting small things.
    If my prediciton on extending engine, and integrating custom libs is true, it will give huge advantage over UDK.

Also you can program in c++ but I just what to script I don't plan to extend the engine. So is lua as robust as unrealscipt I don't know. flowgraph sounds cool though. Better than kismet.
    LUA is not for writting any gameplay code. If you want to make an game on CryEngine. Find C++ programmer. There is no other way to go.
    Not to have to deal with shader and such that great.
    Yeah that might be a problem. But on other hand connecting nodes is no diffrent than writining shader code. You just get diffrent view ;p.

Anyway. I hope code samples that they will provide for Game.dll will be much better documentnet than in ModSDK, cause it's was most horrible thing I have seen in my life. Meangless names of methos with meangless names of varibales without any comments.

I spend more time on trial & error, than on programming..
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i cant wait for mechwarrior living legends to become standalone yuss..

i think crysis has a big opportunity here, to get more serious devs to switch with c++ access. but until they actually release anything this is all just dick waving.
  • Colditz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the end of my social life.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    http://kotaku.com/5815901/crysis-2-gets-sexy-on-the-pc-today-map-editor-on-wednesday

Map editor, almost there! :)

Can't wait for Cryengine... was watching Battle Royale last night, how I wish that were a game! -_- Maybe when Cryengine 3 goes public someone can transfer all the Crysis 1 foliage over; then all you gotta do is throw in some homocidal japanese kids! :D
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    I'm sure your gonna want to create your own foilage like in speedtree,though. Plenty of way to do that.:)

Naa, why waste time and money when foliage that matches that featured in the movie is readily available? :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    True heroes make their own foliage
  • Ryan Hawkins
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Actually Ryan, that is the Crysis 2 mod SDK, not the indie license Cryengine SDK :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True heroes make their own foliage

True-er heroes spline that bitch and vertex paint the hell out of it. (sorry for the language).
  • Ryan Hawkins
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The editor is nice! If you have Crysis 2, you can open all the levels it appears.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is there a Offline version of the Crysis 2 Mod documentation.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    http://sdk.crymod.com/display/SDKDOC21/Home

started learning the particle tool today, sorry UDK but you can wait a little :D
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So upon looking at it, I guess I need C2 to use CE3?
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea this is not the standalone Ace, this is like the game editor like ut2k4 and gears + ut3 editors.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh blasted moles of a thousand Snookies! Guess I have to wait for the Aug release date, bleh.

Oh well, anyone mind uploading some nifty shots once they getting something nice in? Also, anyone can give feedback on the Materials and Particles editors as well Post Process functions?

Anyways, good stuff, cheers.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if this isn't the official release, then why does it say on crymod.com that the Crysis 2 editor is now available.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Oh blasted moles of a thousand Snookies! Guess I have to wait for the Aug release date, bleh.

Oh well, anyone mind uploading some nifty shots once they getting something nice in? Also, anyone can give feedback on the Materials and Particles editors as well Post Process functions?

Anyways, good stuff, cheers.

This is the Crysis 2 Editor not the Standalone Cryengine3 SDK, Cryengine 3 SDK will operate similar to how UDK operates, you won't need a game to get started. This editor requires the game to get started, does that make more sense now?
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the Crysis 2 Editor not the Standalone Cryengine3 SDK, Cryengine 3 SDK will operate similar to how UDK operates, you won't need a game to get started. This editor requires the game to get started, does that make more sense now?
    Gets%20It.jpg