Home Technical Talk

Shameful newbie question

eel
eel
I'm working on some custom animations for TF2 characters. I managed to rig heavy for CAT but I'm hopelessly stuck at... applying textures :/

The model comes with two textures, one for body and one for head and I have no idea how to apply them correctly. I tried googling it but to no avail :/

Help please? :(

Replies

• eel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eel
    pretty please?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    What's your problem ? Getting the texture from the game or just applying them in max ?

Valve's texture are in .vtf format, which max doesn't recognize by default.

You need this :
    http://www.wunderboy.org/download.php?file=3DSMax_VTF_Import_1.4.zip&s=2

or convert the textures to some standard format like .tga with this :
    http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/files/files/vtfedit125-11.exe
  • eel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eel
    I'm afraid my problem is a bit more noobish than that. As I said, the model comes with two textures: one for the head and one for the rest of the body. What I'm unable to figure out is how to apply the head texture to the model's head only and the body texture only to the body.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    select the head apply material id 1, select body apply material id 2(not uv channel!)
    In Material editor Select Multi/Sub-Material apply headtexture to id 1 slot and bodytexture to id 2 slot.

Apply the texture to the head and body and it should work(don´t forget to check "Show Standard Material in Viewport"
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The material and material ID's are probably on the model already. You can check for this by going into the material editor and clicking the eye dropper then clicking your mesh. A multi-sub object should appear. Plug the maps into the diffuse slot for each one and enjoy.
  • eel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eel
    The material and material ID's are probably on the model already. You can check for this by going into the material editor and clicking the eye dropper then clicking your mesh. A multi-sub object should appear. Plug the maps into the diffuse slot for each one and enjoy.

Works like a charm! Thank you very much! :D
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    SpeCter wrote: »
    select the head apply material id 1, select body apply material id 2(not uv channel!)
    In Material editor Select Multi/Sub-Material apply headtexture to id 1 slot and bodytexture to id 2 slot.

Apply the texture to the head and body and it should work(don´t forget to check "Show Standard Material in Viewport"

You need not to apply the material by the way. Just select the mesh (head) go to rendering options or something that says "create UV" apply a planer or best fit. Than go to the view port and change the view port to UV so you can see how it is applied.

for 3ds max.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snIhrVeKCus[/ame]

For Maya its the method above that I use. Or

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9D3pg8-xJY&feature=related[/ame]

Good luck.
  • eel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eel
    I'll look into it, thank you very much!

Regarding shameful noobish questions...

I'm trying to install a new plugin but every time this message appears: "Cannot create file C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010/UI\Icons\Thumbs.db - access denied" and the installation stops. I tried turning off Kaspersky, changing folder settings from read-only but to no avail. I didn't find anything on this matter in google.

The strange thing is that I can't seem to tick off the read-only box in Icons folder settings. No matter what I do it always ticks itself on again!
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    You need not to apply the material by the way. Just select the mesh (head) go to rendering options or something that says "create UV" apply a planer or best fit. Than go to the view port and change the view port to UV so you can see how it is applied.

The TF2 Models already have a uv map, there is no need to generate new UV´s.He just needs to apply the textures:poly117: