Home General Discussion

NEWS - GA Montreal Closing and DWV Hacked

I'm only posting this in case anybody here on PC entered Dom War and haven't seen this announcement, and have been awaiting news.
FredH wrote: »
Got hit with three major problems this week, so my response time and my attention on GA.org will be a bit slow for the coming few days.

1. I have just been informed that GA Montreal is being evicted along with everyone else in the building. This is a major problem.

2. Dominance War V results have been hacked. I am in the process of cleaning things up, but it's taking a bit of on and off time because I have to go to work in the middle. The results have changed and might change a little more tonight. Will keep you updated.

3. There is another major problem, but it's being delt with.

Thanks for all your patience. If you have any issues with DW or GA, and have pm'd or emailed me, again, my response time is a little slow right now. I will eventually get back to you.

I just know a small number of PC'ers wanted notification on this competition.

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    "define:understatement"
    1. I have just been informed that GA Montreal is being evicted along with everyone else in the building. This is a major problem.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I would say, but honestly, why and how? Also, most importantly...

WHO!?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g9WjcGdxuM[/ame]
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys. Been thinking about it some more today, and I am beginning to realize that if GA Montreal were to close, it would practically be the end of everything. I don't make any money online. I was ok with this because I was content to build up the office so that it could support my online work (running challenges like DW, UC, Comicon and this forum, GA.org), but if it closes, there is no way I will have enough money to open a new one and start over again. Effectively put, if GA Montreal closes, everything online closes with it

Will have to think of a way to salvage this one somehow.

I don't understand this. Why would the Montreal gallery/workshop need to stay open to keep the website going? Surely the rent he'd save if it closed could be put to better use.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    for all the drama that has happened I'm really saddened to hear this.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    If I lose my sketchbook thread over there Im gonna cry :( I hope everything works itself out. some stunning DW entries this year!!!
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Marine wrote: »
    I don't understand this. Why would the Montreal gallery/workshop need to stay open to keep the website going? Surely the rent he'd save if it closed could be put to better use.

My guess is that he actually makes money off of GA Montreal, while GA.org and DW take money to run. I believe Fred was running the gallery full time, so it's not like there's another revenue stream, and as altruistic as we like to pretend game artists are, all attempts at fundraising and sponsorship for DW haven't been enough to make the sites self-sufficient. This is really a shame.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    So basically he wants more money.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    always some kind of drama going on, looking forward to seeing the art though.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Solution: Put ads on GA.org and hire some people or round up some volunteers to help run the site. Problem fucking solved.

Jesus, Fred, how hard is that?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question, how come sites like Polycount for example, don't have such problems, vs. other counterpart sites like GA? I really doubt Polycount has a share holding in cocaine trafficking and Black Market sales of weapons, so I was just curious as to why.

I mean vs. the selling of tutorials, artwork and such, Polycount doesn't sell much else then T's, Shirts and Hoodies.

Please note I'm not bashing GA, but I just find it weird that GA has been hitting rut after rut in the past 2 years or so and everytime it's being called out on DW.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    polycount doesn't overextend itself needlessly
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Could care less if GA shuts down. Outside of crazyfool's sketchbook (ps. move that over here dude ASAP!)

Just means more awesome people coming over here to Polycount and we can be one giant big love/hate family.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    The awesome arts been done and completed, so I would hope those who finished are happy / proud of that work thats the important part.

As far as Fred goes, well lets just say i put my money on some miraculous recovery, all will be resolved, the competitions will go on albeit delayed and GA will be reborn anew.

Looking forward to unearthly being announced in a few weeks!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx: I see where you're coming from, but I don't know if that is truly overexerting oneself I would agree on. Almost everything on that site during comps is sponsored somehow, donation pools are always open and most of the guys do stuff for free when the time calls, and most artists usually allow Fred to have access to their stuff as long as it helps the site and general comps stay open.

Just a few weeks ago, they had a Ubisoft setup at GAMontreal, and with 10 buck entry fee, it was doing pretty well with plenty of students who came in to listen guys talk about workplace stuff and yadda yadda yadda, so suddenly this issue popping up doesn't sit well with me.

Rereading what I just wrote, I would like to note again, that I am no bashing Fred, I saw the guy, he is pretty shy on stage and clumsy, so he is not a evil guy in nature. Yes, he might have done a few mistakes with certain...clauses in the agreement of...stuff, but that is more to do with him being clumsy and not a bad guy (even I'm a pretty clumsy guy).

The thing that bothers me is the plethora of problems that have risen for the past few months at GA, almost overnight when you compare it to how long it took for Rome to be built, that is what is bothering me. Eviction and Hacking at the same time? If I didn't know any better, I would say that the local are Administrator is trying to push out GAMontreal to make a new building in it's place...
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atleast in Korea they get cast HOT CHICKs to play parts in the drama this shit just makes me soft.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ace-Angel
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I really doubt Polycount has a share holding in cocaine trafficking and Black Market sales of weapons
    Ha, and that's where you're wrong!
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Pretty sure everything will be fine. It usually is.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Andreas wrote: »
    So basically he wants more money.
    More than likely. :D
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ Pretty sure everything will be fine. It usually is.

FredH wrote:
    Hey guys, apologies for the absence. Since the eviction notice, I just wanted to spend my time alone. Anyways, things should be ok and everything will work out in the end.

About closing down, ok, I had my moment of, STOP EVERYTHING syndrome, but I am over it now:D There is no freaking way that I will stand by and watch GA shut down, or slowly collapse. This is a great community and I love the artists on it and what they have made of the place. So even though it's a bit of a rough time right now, I am looking into ways to ensure that GA online makes it and becomes even better in the future.

Coming this July, there will be some major changes to GA, UC and DW and I believe you will approve of them:)

Thanks again for everyone's patience with DW5.

wow Dreamer.. you called it exactly as it would happen. lol
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    GameArtisans S02E01 ~
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Oh wow, more "Holy shit everything is fucked up I'm just going to end it all, oh no wait, I take it back" from Fred. Awesome.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow wrote: »
    GameArtisans S02E01 ~

"Next time on a very special episode of: GameArtisans"
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I'm glad everything worked out for Fred.

Must have been a stressful couple of days.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav wrote: »
    Oh wow, more "Holy shit everything is fucked up I'm just going to end it all, oh no wait, I take it back" from Fred. Awesome.

I have to say, I agree with the sentiment. Fred really needs to take things easy and analyze things carefully before posting about them.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dempolys wrote: »
    wow Dreamer.. you called it exactly as it would happen. lol

Be sure to tune in next competition for the next episode of GA Blues!!!

Edit: gah SkankerZero beat me to it lol!
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Hope the people who entered the Dom war dont get fucked over too hard by all this...wtf this shit is.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    so wait...

1. something came up to delay the results being posted.
    2. THE RESULTS HAVE NOW CHANGED.
    3. he's dealing with his period.

at this point i don't even feel sympathy, or empathy for him or anyone that entered the competition. last year was the final straw, and this year is the cherry on the cake, proving that not only is the competition becoming/already a big joke, but also that the artists (talented as they are) are being taken for an absolute ride by someone who (claiming to be an entrepreneur) couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

at this point, while i'd like to feel sorry for the artists, i can only say that they should have learned from the past 4 comps.

/end bitterness (sorry, very bitter about everything this week).
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Now to wonder how much monies he made from A to B,

A being Oh my god closing... DONATE NOW
    B being Oh I think I can hold up more in fact

Rinse and repeat.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    "Next time on a very special episode of: Game of Artisans. Some guys get banged by a huge ethnic guy with eyeliner and we all see a midgets penis."
    TBH I didnt participate in DW, and Im glad I didnt because Now I dont have to compare myself with the guys that did, and I can laugh at the whole thing....

Unearthly here we come!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    so wait...

1. something came up to delay the results being posted.
    2. THE RESULTS HAVE NOW CHANGED.
    3. he's dealing with his period.

at this point i don't even feel sympathy, or empathy for him or anyone that entered the competition. last year was the final straw, and this year is the cherry on the cake, proving that not only is the competition becoming/already a big joke, but also that the artists (talented as they are) are being taken for an absolute ride by someone who (claiming to be an entrepreneur) couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

at this point, while i'd like to feel sorry for the artists, i can only say that they should have learned from the past 4 comps.

/end bitterness (sorry, very bitter about everything this week).

Well, from my point of view the participants don't really lose much from having entered the competition. I see it more like a motivation increaser than a just contest. Even if you don't win you could still have made great art for your portfolio.
    I do agree that the whole thing has become very unreliable however. I myself have never entered the competition before and this was a good experience. It was both the first and the last time for me though.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgUeUjIsAxs[/ame]

Never before has a video described my feelings towards all of this so well.
    That and i just wanted to post it!

I was in unearthly back in the day just like many others. We had to wait 6+ months for the results. Instant dealbreaker for any future competitions that guy holds. Brawl did that shit in two fuckin weeks or something.
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Wahlgren wrote: »

I was in unearthly back in the day just like many others. We had to wait 6+ months for the results. Instant dealbreaker for any future competitions that guy holds. Brawl did that shit in two fuckin weeks or something.

Word
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If I or Drew (r13) ever pull this sort of shit on you guys please remind me of this thread. What a cluster fuck.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgUeUjIsAxs

Never before has a video described my feelings towards all of this so well.

Ahahahaha! exactly!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    If I or Drew (r13) ever pull this sort of shit on you guys please remind me of this thread. What a cluster fuck.

You did delete the entire submission thread you bum! Just sayin!!!!! :P

Think of the opportunity you missed out on right there man!!

Make a big deal saying polycount is all over, you fucked up, your being evicted, your wife is leaving you, the government sent some aliens to take you away and other things of epic nature, in an attempt to earn the sympathy of the community and slyly encourage them to send you money.

Then just a couple of days later announce that all of those things.. somehow magically got solved - its all good. But dont forget to paint your face with some blue stuff and in true William Wallace style throw in some inspiring words like " We Mens are like Iron! " or " I will not let the spirit of Polycount die! "

Maybe next time man, think about the potential!
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally I can see why Fred would want to 'warn' the community on such issues, just a heads up sorts of way.

But it's not healthy, for him, mentally and physically, as well his business and his audience to throw a fit without actually looking into the stuff at current state. He jumped the gun here when a few days after it turned out fine.

I'm pretty sure is such a thing came to pass to Polycount (hopefully not) Adam will sit down, take a deep breath, sort through some stuff and take it like a man and solve the issue with R13. If he can't, he'll post about it, ask for advice without making a huge deal out of it, and once he's sure things are down, THEN he'll make an official announcement.

Gah, if only Fred's management were as good as his skills.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Ace at this point i think you may be buying into all the hardships too much. Let's be real here, game artisans is a donation based site, ran to look like a charity case. The more they can display "hardship" the more people donate. That's their business model, look like they're always on the brink, keep asking for donations.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    That's their business model, look like they're always on the brink, keep asking for donations.

Like a carpet store that's always "going out of business"
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Heh, there was a cloth shop here with all those big signs...for two years ;)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    EzMeow wrote: »
    GameArtisans S02E01 ~

LOL
    97390209.gif

I was in a restaurant yesterday and they charged me fucking €10 for a while russian!

I laughed for over a minute. This clip is coming out everytime someone says/does something retarded on here!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know where you're coming from CrazyFingers, and maybe I came off "humble for his hardy hard hard work" in this area of things (I mean afterall, their "conventions" hosts are pretty pathetic as far as meetings go).

However, I cannot feel by all of this. I guess I should have known it was a charity case when he wrote that he made only 18K last year.