Home Technical Talk

ZBrush Book Suggestions

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
EArkham polycounter lvl 9
I'm looking for a good reference book on using ZBrush.

Seen video tutorials online, but I absolutely detest them (have to fast forward & rewind, difficult to reference quickly, speakers who gloss over important stuff and spend way too much time on the basics, etc). What I'm looking for is a reference that I can keep on my desk as I work with the program.

I have experience creating models in 3DS and XSI so I don't want or need a book that spends ages explaining what UV maps or polygons are. Basically I want something that demystifies the ZBrush UI for someone who knows what needs to be done, but doesn't know how it's done in ZBrush.

Ideally, workflow, best uses of hotkeys, tips & tricks, how Zbrush differs from other programs, gotchas & quirks, etc.

Needless to say, it should be something more advanced than the ZBrush help file/pdf.

Bonus points if it's available at Barnes & Nobles (a US store) since I have an unused gift card for them. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinkinmonkey polycounter lvl 15
    To me, it has been more simple to start with Eric Keller Introducing ZBrush, the book with the Medusa head on the cover, I know nothing of the new one about ZB 4, but I'm sure it's interesting as well.
    Eric is very good explaining in a simple manner everything you need to use ZBrush: mainly he starts from a little project (creating an underwater project) to explain the main commands, then he goes to sculpting a skull and he finishes with the Medusa head (snakes included) creation. The DVD has movies of every scultping session, so you use both book/dvd to learn better.
    As dustinbrown suggests rightly, there's Scott Spencer's book, but I found it more for an intermediate level respect to Keller's book, anyway, you should have it as well because Scott is another great master and wrote a good book as well.
    To start using ZB for sculpting, you need just those two books.

Consider both books are about (mainly) sculpting heads, so if you want to go on, then you should take Scott Spencer's Zbrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy, that is all about a male anatomy creation and, believe me, he will give you a lot of anatomy information. This book, instead, starts from basic level, using zsphere or modeling a low resolution human cage in maya, so you could take this only if you feel comfortable with ZB.

And of course you need a lot of practice every day!

Have a nice read! :)
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look for both of those and grab whichever one seems to suit me from a flip through. :)
  • Stinger88