Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - POFFINGTON, Paul Poff

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys my name is Paul Poffenbarger (Poff for short) and I have been on here for little over a year now, and have seen so much amazing talent on this forum, and humbled to be on here with all of you. I am about to graduate in about a week from the Art Institute of Phoenix, and just got my portfolio website up to date. Please feel free to Crit EVERYTHING. ART. LAYOUT. IMG LOADING. DEMO REEL....everything. I know even though I am graduating I still have a lot to learn. So here it goes...have at it

http://paulpoff.com/

Environment Artist....prob should have said that earlier haha.

Here is a building I am working on at the moment.

UBR.jpg

UBA.jpg

UBTS.jpg

UB_D.jpg

Replies

• POFFINGTON
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang it guys, I accidentally made two duplicate threads (because my internet sucks) and wanted to change the name of one. If this thread says portfolio on it I am sorry, I tried to fix it.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Paul u f'er this is so pretty!!! dood honeslty i feel proud you replied to mine!!!!!
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Great outcome and a good portfolio piece. I love modular kits. Its like lego for a 3D modeller.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice building mate.
  • POFFINGTON
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alberto Rdrgz-Thanks man I find your highpoly work to be just stunning.
    @DI$array- Yeah man modularity is the way to go, thank you for the kind words.
    @Baj Singh- Thanks man!

Is their any issues with my website that someone would like to comment on? Load times? Amount of work? Anything I should take down? :)
  • Dragonwalker
    Nice job, but being a senior architecture student I have to say... Oh GOD! Is it me, or are there really two collums on the left side of the building's front and only one one the right? Plus I think the front could use some more space, because it seems too dense. Did you do this with some reference? Because, you should really look into some old architecture especially from Italy.
    And I think collums should be packed differently, because, the texture is too small and looks of lesser quality, then the rest of the building when rendered.
    I like the SG though. Man I would kill for that guitar...
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Site works well and loads quickly for me. Everything is laid out and broken down nicely. I'd like to see some different/more moody lighting for a future project. :) Nice job!
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Everything looks good to me! The one thing i'm missing is some highpoly renders.

And might i ask, how did you approach the hand painted grass textures? Looks super!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Cool looking building :) Unfortunately, I feel that it suffers a little from poor lighting. If you want to push it a little bit more, try to make your primary light stronger and reduuce its saturation a little bit. Also, you could try giving your ambient light some colour; the shadows are very dull. I've looked at your website and I believe that the setup you've made for the Treasure Town scene would be a lot more flattering.

I've edited your image in photoshop and applied some colour correction tweaks to give you some ideas. Of course, you can get even better results by combining colour grading with a different lighting setup.

TjWWu.jpg

Also, try to use tiledshot 2 (I assume this is UDK?) to get rid of those jaggies. Some parts of the building are quite noisy (especially those ornaments) and they read even worse with all that aliasing.

Hope that helps :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Definitely nice work. That tiledshot command will do wonders for your stuff.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Great looking stuff, Paul. If I had to complain it would be that the textures for the stone/marble are a bit brown. Looking at places like the U.S Capitol building, or Lincoln's Memorial, you can see that while they are dirty for sure, it's nowhere near as dense and brown as yours is.

LincolnMemorial.jpg

For a stylized approach I'd say yours works great - looks like it would fit right in to the Fallout 3 universe of artwork. So I guess it depends on what you're aiming for. Either way, it's still good artwork. ;D
  • POFFINGTON
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys so much for all of these helpful tips! I really wish I could have gotten back on here sooner, but I was in the middle of graduating and
    applying for jobs. I am happy to say that I got lucky.
    183599-vigil_logo_new_super.jpg

I just recently got hired at Vigil games as a Prop Artist Temp. Another reason why I haven't been able to work on the portfolio. I have been moving and preparing to go to work for weeks. Any way I hope to come back to these peices in my free time, and take all y'alls advice to heart.

@Dragonwalker: there is indeed a second pillar, that is because I made some peices 256 units accross and others are 384 (256+128). Which gave me so weird ending peices. A mistake on my part, but a good catch on yours :) thanks a bunch!

@JMYoung: Moody lighting you will get!

@sltrOlsson: Thanks! High polys would be really good, I have been getting that complaint accross the board. I wanted to do one for the building trim, but on the fancy parts I only did one section then repeated it so it kind of ruined the presentation of it. Thank you though I will keep this in mind, Maybe I will get the pillar up or something.

- about the grass, it was actually a luck of chance is looked like poo, until I tried to make it tileable. I will try to remember to post the layers up later its only about 8 or them ;)

@teaandcigarettes: You hit the nail on the head, lighting is something I struggle with constantly. Next time I am in UDK i will tweek it like your version, I think I just need to mess with the post process.

-btw I LOVE your work :)

@jeffro: Tiled shot is something I completely forgot about. Thanks!

@Joshua Stubbles: I did a bit of mesh painting with a dirt texture, that is prob where you are getting the brown from. I decided to make the building concrete instead of marble because I found it more readable and a little more interesting than the marble.

here is the actual building I used as reference:
    17-16.jpg

4869153461_3db1d17a0c_b.jpg

It is the San Fransico, Wells Fargo building on Grant St. I didn't quite nail it, for instance I really wanted to do that bend, but alas do to time restraints I couldn't.

Again thank you guys so much I hope to post some more work soon!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, paul. Yo congrats on the jobz bro!
  • POFFINGTON
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Alberto! That scene of yours is coming along nicely!

-btw half life series, is my all time favorite so big thumbs up from me on your icon :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    lol dood let's not talk about half life.... since 08 it's been the void of my life.
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    hahaha i do need to download the orange box... im a sinner, never played it :S
  • Mio
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    lovely looking buildings, well done
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Congrats and welcome to Texas!
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor polycounter lvl 13
    Welcome to the team!
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
  • sketch81
    Congrats dude, wicked folio and all the best :)
  • Wombatinahat
    Website suspended for me :(
  • POFFINGTON
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alberto Rdrgz: I know! Me too it is so good.

@yodude87: Indeed you do.

@Mio,chrisradsby,sketch81: Thanks so much you guys!

@JMYoung: Thanks, it is really nice to be back.

@TerraBite: Thanks, nice to put a face to a name now. BTW your Lugi is simply the best

@Wombatinahat: Somehow in the last day or so, my hosting has put my site down with no warning. I am in the process of trying to get it back up soon :(
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Congrats Paul! Sounds like a fantastic gig :poly136: