Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Particle Explosion

Consist of three emittors combined into an effect made in our home-made particle editor. It's supposed to be the impact fire from small rockets in a doom-like fps.

Consists of 1 animated texture emittor (24 frames) + smoke and debris (glowing stuff)

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

http://vimeo.com/25053764

Replies

• cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    looks ok, the fire textures are readable (to me anyway) as separate bits, and they move in random directions and quite slowly and steadily. For me there is a lack of a 'pop' and the fire perhaps decays too slowly. Quite a lot comes down to personal taste, but that is my 5p worth. :D

What sort of controls do you have? Maybe I am critting stuff you cannot change.
  • Modesty Blaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks m8! I have the possibilty to speed up the animated sprites in the editor and maybe that will increase the impact-feeling. Another idea is to add a bright light lensflarish ball off light just the first millisecond- maybe that will give it some more pop.

To get rid of the readable textures i could throw in another animated sprite into the mix, since i have some more animated fire i could use. Just thinking about efficiency. Is 30 frames maybe too much for an animated sprite in this type of effect?
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The major thing that I see is that the burst of flame and of smoke really don't change size enough. The flame in particular should start really small and quickly grow to a size that almost completely fills the view, then it should fairly quickly shrink to a pinpoint and die.

Currently the flame burst just kind of appears, wobbles around a bit and then just vanishes.

The smoke should also come out small and expand to fill the screen almost, but a lot slower then the flame. The smoke should also take quite a bit longer to dissipate after the flame has gone out. The smoke too, would not shrink back in size but would continue to expand until it expanded enough to thin out and disappear.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    thanks m8! I have the possibilty to speed up the animated sprites in the editor and maybe that will increase the impact-feeling. Another idea is to add a bright light lensflarish ball off light just the first millisecond- maybe that will give it some more pop.

To get rid of the readable textures i could throw in another animated sprite into the mix, since i have some more animated fire i could use. Just thinking about efficiency. Is 30 frames maybe too much for an animated sprite in this type of effect?

Try to do it without increasing the animated textures. The flash/pop can be small-big-small as anime angel says, or you can give more of a whooshing feeling with expanding and fading out at the same time. I think a pop is better in this case, give it a try and post some progress! :)
  • Modesty Blaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnimeAngel wrote: »
    The major thing that I see is that the burst of flame and of smoke really don't change size enough. The flame in particular should start really small and quickly grow to a size that almost completely fills the view, then it should fairly quickly shrink to a pinpoint and die.

Currently the flame burst just kind of appears, wobbles around a bit and then just vanishes.

The smoke should also come out small and expand to fill the screen almost, but a lot slower then the flame. The smoke should also take quite a bit longer to dissipate after the flame has gone out. The smoke too, would not shrink back in size but would continue to expand until it expanded enough to thin out and disappear.

I see your poimt but the actual size of the effect is very relative. The impact is supposed to be small and thjs is actually about 4 meters wide ingame, if i let the smoke increase more in size it will take up to much screenspace as this is a rocket launcher with small rockets and high fire rate.

Since it is a small explosion there is little time for a slower size-increase, I think the fraps takes away a few frames visible ingame where tha sizes on the sprites are fastly icreasing (rapid ease out size-wize).

I think you are right about what rate the smoke is dissapating and will add a second or two. Thanks for input pal!
  • Modesty Blaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a little update. a new animated sprite added and longer dissapation on the smoke http://vimeo.com/25130260