Home General Discussion

Epic Hacked

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
http://www.thehackernews.com/2011/06/epic-games-database-hacked-by-contra.html

As well as email.
Our Epic Games web sites and forums were recently hacked. After some downtime, they're back up and running now.

The hackers may have obtained the email addresses and encrypted passwords of forum users. Plaintext passwords weren't revealed, but it's possible that those passwords could be obtained by a brute-force attack on the encrypted passwords. Therefore, we have reset all passwords. Your new password at the bottom of this message.

The Unreal Developer Network (UDN) hasn't been compromised. Thankfully, none of our web sites ask for, or store, credit card information or other financial data.

We're sorry for the inconvenience, and appreciate everyone's patience as we wrestle our servers back under control.

At least they are upfront about it. If you have been on for UDK forums you should take note.

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    whats with all the attacks lately?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Codemasters got hacked too.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Legion is angry. :)

Or

They just want all the companies to upgrade their securities? Keeping them on their toes, so people who would otherwise abuse the information would gain access?
    All we hear are issues with the companies no one is really saying anything from the side lines like the public complaining all their cards where charged without their knowledge.
    Such as in the case with P.S.N. network going down, unless we are just not hearing about It?!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    sony did it...
  • Brytryne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really don't see how hacking these companies can be interpreted as an act of a samaritan. I get that people are pissed that they removed Linux compatibility on the PS3 but if these people think they are doing the community a favor it surprises me they arent using their intellect for something not so obnoxiously stupid.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Brytryne wrote: »
    I really don't see how hacking these companies can be interpreted as an act of a samaritan. I get that people are pissed that they removed Linux compatibility on the PS3 but if these people think they are doing the community a favor it surprises me they arent using their intellect for something not so obnoxiously stupid.

This is why: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110914-Security-Analyst-Explains-Why-We-Love-Lulzsec
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I hope you honestly dont think this is something new and there is some big huge hack attack going on. After the Sony dobocal companies all over the place, especially in this industry are reporting all hacks big and small.

Less then 20% of all company's world wide will ever report they have been hacked due to bad press, drop in stock, loss of investors, backlash from the public. But now with the huge Sony mess company's feel that now they cant not tell people less they suffer the same fate as Sony did.

The reason the Sony issue exploded was because when most hackers break in and steal data it dosnt effect people on the visible surface, you would never know. But with Sony, there entire games net work went down. In a realm of intangible things, people lost the "tangible" use of there gaming consoles, and there are a few million people out there that kinda noticed.

And I guess they might be hacking more often now because it is the perfect time to do it, but in reality this shit happens so much its frightening.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    also we're talking about forums here, and its not some totally custom solution, just vBulletin.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    regardless, passwords are being made available, and are possible to decrypt. that's dangerous enough.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I don't think they are just recently starting ,so much as they're being noticed finally.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Hope theses hackers don't touch to Polycount...
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They wouldn't have any business touching Polycount, GameArtisan or any other CGI/Digital related hub for many reasons. I would say places like DeviantArt could be the next hit one day, in the digital art world considering how bothersome their security is and highly unstable.

You have to remember that Sony, Microsoft, Eidos, Ubisoft, Epic and Nintendo are all game companies with actual networks and development wiki's, so naturally they need to protect that stuff left and right. They also can and might have personal and sensitive data here and there, especially if financial records are held.

I don't know if Contra hacked Epic out of spite or to, like LulzSec, to expose something, but that doesn't change the fact that MANY people have terrible security online. On a daily basis, I hear about how new guys claiming to be Security kings, when they didn't even pass first year of Uni and how they're protecting game company X,Y,Z...if you don't even run basic checkup on a 30 old guy who just faked his papers for software management, I suggest you take this route here:

http://chainsawsuit.com/comics/20110527.png
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    They wouldn't have any business touching Polycount, GameArtisan or any other CGI/Digital related hub for many reasons...[/url]

...apart from hacking, then scraping, their databases for email addresses and sending out really badly written emails saying they're a web designer and they make amazing websites.

;)
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Also I think it's a matter of the media finding something that's now relevant to their readers. IE if Sony never was attacked and it wasn't such a big deal than all subsequent attacks would of never been reported on.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We do Penis Tanks in these parts hackers should just give us a pass in awesomeness alone.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We do Penis Tanks in these parts hackers should just give us a pass in awesomeness alone.

I didn't see any Penis Tanks...where are they!? Show me! The Penis must flow!
  • arshlevon
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    What I don't get is the whole "It's so that the companies update their security!"-angle, Isn't it a little bit to late if the personal info is already out on the web?

Sure you can update your shit to prevent future stuff happening (which is a good thing yes) but... IT'S ALREADY FUCKIN HAPPENED and your info is out there already. The damage has already been done. Or am I missing something here?
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    That's just an excuse, Wahlgren. They do it cause they're assholes. They hide behind that excuse, which is really just blaming the victim, so they can pretend to be helping.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    if they want to prove that the network is not secure, isn't it enough to just take the information and make it known that they hacked things? What benefit is there in releasing the data in a torrent?
    That just seems malicious.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    /tinfoilhat
    Major news outlets saw a down turn in their ratings, and paid hacker groups to hack companies that'd generate news, to start a media frenzy and panic over internet security, so their tech-security sponsors and investors would get some monies.

ororrrrrr

the government is funding hacker groups, to influence state senators and representatives to pen a bill to criminalize the behavior, while also regulating and clamping freedoms on the internet and requiring a new net-driven identity system so criminal(and noncriminal behavior) can be monitored and tracked, since ip addresses were deemed to not = the person.

/tinfoilhat

that was fun :P

on a more serious note, sucks our forums got hacked, and now Bethesda, and others. :(
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moose, you scarin me!

that would also explain why they declined the prize for hacking that one website...their government bosses are paying them moar <_<
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Terrorists flew planes in to towers, now we're running under new rules.

Hackers "hacking" websites for personal information, soon we'll be running under new rules.

---

Just posting this here for future reference.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    if they want to prove that the network is not secure, isn't it enough to just take the information and make it known that they hacked things? What benefit is there in releasing the data in a torrent?
    That just seems malicious.

Where does it say they released the data they obtained?

Anyways, all this hacking is good. Better get serious about computer security sooner rather than later.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys have to remember one thing, about a couple years ago and as early as a couple of months ago, people who reported security leaks and issues privately to a company go sued.

Yes, you heard that right, if you reported to a company about an issue with their backdoor on their servers, they could legally sue you without issues.

I guess you could call this a boiling issue of sorts if you will. Call me old fashioned, but usually when I report a problem to company, I like getting a nice reward or a pat on the back, not a nice letter next day telling me I could get sued and they're investigating me.
  • moose
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scrawld polycounter lvl 12
    Seems like they're not done yet.

Lulzsec Take Down Eve & Minecraft via RockPaperShotgun

How long is it before they take down all of the internets?
  • eld
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    moose wrote: »
    Major news outlets saw a down turn in their ratings, and paid hacker groups to hack companies that'd generate news, to start a media frenzy and panic over internet security, so their tech-security sponsors and investors would get some monies.

ororrrrrr

the government is funding hacker groups, to influence state senators and representatives to pen a bill to criminalize the behavior, while also regulating and clamping freedoms on the internet and requiring a new net-driven identity system so criminal(and noncriminal behavior) can be monitored and tracked, since ip addresses were deemed to not = the person.
    Fixed. (removed tinfoilhat)

cf "Cyber Security Act", "Digital ID Act", "Real ID Act", "Open ID Act", "Patriot Act", Internet ID program, Internet Passport program/initiative and so on.. Not to mention that the Federal Government regards the Internet as a "critical infrastructure" so it can be 'protected' under the same umbrella as anything to do with "National Security".

It's not without its sense of irony that just as the Federal Government is pushing the Cybersecurity act that this stuff starts to happen. Plays right into their hands of those wanting to centralise and control the Net.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Autocon wrote: »
    I hope you honestly dont think this is something new and there is some big huge hack attack going on. After the Sony dobocal companies all over the place, especially in this industry are reporting all hacks big and small.

Less then 20% of all company's world wide will ever report they have been hacked due to bad press, drop in stock, loss of investors, backlash from the public. But now with the huge Sony mess company's feel that now they cant not tell people less they suffer the same fate as Sony did.

The reason the Sony issue exploded was because when most hackers break in and steal data it dosnt effect people on the visible surface, you would never know. But with Sony, there entire games net work went down. In a realm of intangible things, people lost the "tangible" use of there gaming consoles, and there are a few million people out there that kinda noticed.

And I guess they might be hacking more often now because it is the perfect time to do it, but in reality this shit happens so much its frightening.

Agreed, but it scares me more if more than two news topics regarding successfully hacking in to the known firms and companies of the software industry shows how fragile their security is.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just waiting for them to hit steam and release THAT info.
    Because that info is actually worth money.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    It was horrible, they used an axe, I lost a limb, but it was a nonessential one thankfully... yeah it belonged to someone else in the office, so I'm fine without it. I know you were all worried
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for them to hit steam and release THAT info.
    Because that info is actually worth money.

You don't think people haven't already tried?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    the CIA's turn

http://technorati.com/technology/article/cyber-intel-alert-hackers-take-down/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+trarticles+%28All+articles+at+Technorati%29
    Still, bad news also means new business opportunities. Companies, trying to protect themselves, are now seeking “cyberinsurance” worth hundreds of millions of dollars, making this a golden moment for the industry, as demand soars. A recent report from Reuters also highlights how Silicon Valley venture capitalists are setting their eyes on new technologies to protect computer networks, hoping to make some profits. Venture investment in the information-technology security sector this year expects to exceed last year's $432.3 million, according to Thomson Reuters data from the National Venture Capital Association. And I have to wonder, are hackers going to claim their slice of that pie?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Bioware just got hacked though they got old data.