Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Crysis 2 inspired - Montreal map

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
Hi guys!
I'm making an environment piece for my portfolio.
This is a Crysis 2-inspired map made with UDK.
I took a street in the downtown of Montreal as reference (McGill).
Currently at the level design phase.
Any feedback is welcome!
2-1.png

Replies

• biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Only thing to say right now would be to rotate and scale the tree's so they don't look like they are the exact same model. Otherwise its looking good scale wise.
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A regular Ford Mustang is 140cm high. Depending on the height of the chassis and the wheels that may vary another 10cm. This means each of your characters is a midget.

84014019_e0c677618e.jpg

Your curb looks like it's 30cm high and your tree's would catch every truck passing by. I wouldn't really make them bigger, but I would definately straighten them out. Also, the lights at the side of the street could be a little bigger at the top.

Apart from that, your well on your way. :)
  • orion5175
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kinda agreeing with Phart,
    in metal gear their is a scene where raiden grabs a cable flying at him, I wouldn't have paid attention to it but his hand doesn't close all the way when he pulls it.
    really pay attention to the scale of the objects because their are a lot of people that look for small imperfection things like that.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update following the feedbacks:
    1.png
    2.png
    3.png
    4.png
    5.png
    6.png
    7.png
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    the blockout looks very....open.

Should submit this as a final for a cs source level haha
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! This looks much much better :)
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my current state! Buildings aren't finish yet. Any critics is welcome!

7.png

8.png

9.png

10.png

11.png

12.png

6.png

5.png

4.png

3.png

2.png

1.png
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ..haha I was skating around there today! I ll keep an eye on this! Blocking looks good so far.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Coming along nicely, definitely want to see this finished :)
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Blockout looks very nice, cool start!

I´d start putting it in the engine and do another pass on the scale of the scene. Some things still look off (character size in relation to the smaller props)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Very good start! :) Scale is a bit off here and there on a lot of things, ence why you should keep this as much as you can in-engine, jump in game, look around and have a feel for it.

Keep up.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Crysis in UDK? :D
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SimonT : Yep! Well, it's not Crysis, it's just something that will looks like. UDK is the only engine I know, but I'll definitely check out CryEngine 3. ;)
  • Shoy333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really well done so far will defiantly be watching this!
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    @Minh: Very nice work man, well it looks just like McGill College.....ah the good old days of working at McGill. I will keep an eye on this project. By the way is that just a checkered texture imported into UDK?
  • Low
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low
    Nicenice. You've progressed a lot, hope school won't hold you back too much on that project Minh.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally, I've just finish the high poly props. If you see any scaling or proportions errors, please don't hesitate! :)

Changement : I'm switching to the new CryEngine 3 SDK for my scene. It will looks more "Crysis" than "Unreal".

1-2.png

2-2.png

3-2.png

4-2.png
  • Mishka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there!
    I am from Montreal and I looked at your environment and noticed that your map is flat. I believe that this street is going more upwards, towards the mountain of Mont Royal.
    If you do the same in your design, I think it will look more faithful to the real thing and also add a little more then just a regular flat street. :)

In the props, you can even add the little "bixi" bicycle thing and place it somewhere in the north towards McGill haha
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for advise! Perhaps I'll add some mountains to the composition, to put more organic stuffs on it.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently done with unwrapping my props. I've re-adjust the scaling of my buildings to fit it in CryEngine 3 SDK. I just have a problem with 1 of them.

This is my 3 Braseurs building.
    allo.png

I just want to know how I can make my windows modular without going too far with the triangle count. When I snap them into modular kit, my windows goes up to 10, 000 tris! Which is...a lot I guess? (only front part, didn't count the side yet!)
    allo1.png
    allo2.png

Any idea how I can make them?

Thanks in advise!
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    @ megalmn2000

To reduce triangles on the facade, you need to focus on the level of detail from which the facade will be seen from the street. (Players perspective)

For example:
    Lobby - Ground Floor - modelled out details to a 1st person perspective and target.(as the player can physically get right upto that area)

1st row of Floors - Simplify your modelling and judge whether a texture/normal map can fake the details.

Middle to Top Floors - (which you have show to be over 10,000 tris) You could remove the modelled windows and inset window frame. Just keeping the Window ledge to catch the lighting. Rely on your normal map/spec and diffuse to sell the illusion of windows.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot beancube! :)
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Solid advice from beancube,

Alternatively (or additionally) 10k isn't a big deal, be aware of how each of your modular sections are LODing and if need be adjust your LOD distances. Also a chunky building like this would work a treat with the CryEngine equivalent of a culling volume.
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Are you kidding me? 10k tris is tiny! (I've seen scenes made of millions tris; 10k tris would be your typical character polycount) Don't worry about polycount as much as doing things right. If you can texture the whole building modularly using 1 512x512 map, your performance will be better than if you had 5k tris and several texture samples...
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made a building with a cube, but just wonder how to texture it.
    I've used 1 texture that tile 10-20 times in all surface, so no polygon is involved, but don't know how to assign a proper material to a specific area of the texture, like in the image I've showed.
    I want to specify to CryEngine 3 that my red area is plastic, blue is glass and grey is concrete.
    Thanks for your support! :)
    1-6.png
    2-6.png