Home General Discussion

Windows 8

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Really? How many people have touch screen these days or will have by the time this o/s is released? Bit of a niche market imo. I'm sticking with Vista Ultimate x64 until a much faster alternative becomes available or until I am able to master c++ coding!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I can't wait until I can copy and paste files using a touch screen and gestures. It will be so efficient!
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    ... I want a PC. Not an iPhone.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    GCMP wrote: »
    Really? How many people have touch screen these days or will have by the time this o/s is released? Bit of a niche market imo. I'm sticking with Vista Ultimate x64 until a much faster alternative becomes available or until I am able to master c++ coding!

There is a much faster alternative :P Windows 7! ;)

There are some mind boggling comments in this thread. People criticising Microsoft for putting tablet features into a............tablet OS. Next up will be the stupid shit said about the iPad - WHERE IS MY PRESSURE SENSITIVE WACOM PEN?!?!??! I CAN'T USE IT WITHOUT A WACOM PEN!!!!!!!! - Most of this tablet shit isn't going to be in any desktop version of Windows 8. The stuff that is, that you don't like, you'll no doubt be able to turn off.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Most of this tablet shit isn't going to be in any desktop version of Windows 8. The stuff that is, that you don't like, you'll no doubt be able to turn off.

I have no doubt you will be able to turn it off but its not a tablet OS. Its the new main Windows OS much like 7 is the main one right now.

He even mentioned when ever you start up that new app screen will come up and from him saying that I think its safe to assume that when ever you start your computer up, that will indeed pop up and need to be navigated away from to get to the "main desktop" (which looks no different then 7 or Vista.)

As always this is just guessing off there demo they showed but its clear they mean for this OS to replace 7 and that its not just a tablet OS.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    There is a much faster alternative :P Windows 7! ;)

There are some mind boggling comments in this thread. People criticising Microsoft for putting tablet features into a............tablet OS. Next up will be the stupid shit said about the iPad - WHERE IS MY PRESSURE SENSITIVE WACOM PEN?!?!??! I CAN'T USE IT WITHOUT A WACOM PEN!!!!!!!! - Most of this tablet shit isn't going to be in any desktop version of Windows 8. The stuff that is, that you don't like, you'll no doubt be able to turn off.

I can't use an iPad because I would have to buy one first, and I can't imagine any way that would ever happen. Does it do anything my MP3 player doesn't?

Back on topic-- I would not be so mind-boggled by people judging Win 8 based on the only existing video showing features of the OS. Maybe they have some cool features designed for people who use their computer as a tool, but these are not them.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Autocon wrote: »
    I have no doubt you will be able to turn it off but its not a tablet OS. Its the new main Windows OS much like 7 is the main one right now.

Yes, this... It will be just like "Windows Media Center" on a Windows Media PC it used to boot right into Media Center and you'd have to exit out of that to get to windows.. This will be the same, I'm sure there will be an option to turn it off. Touchscreen PCs are still too new and I don't know anyone using one, talk about carpal tunnel..
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Ninjas wrote: »
    I can't use an iPad because I would have to buy one first, and I can't imagine any way that would ever happen. Does it do anything my MP3 player doesn't?

IPads do what you want them to do, other then flash.. :D Lots of folks can't figure out 'what' to do with one if you want to use it for work, you'll find plenty of uses for it. I use it all the time for IT, I use it to take notes in meetings, I use it to test wireless signals, I use it to RDP into my servers, desktops, etc.. I use it to send mail when I'm away from my desk, I use it at home when I'm checking on the network and email issues away from work.. I use it to read tech manuals, comics, books, and watch tv/movies/etc some times as well.. there's tons of uses, you just need to find what you want to use it for, if you stop thinking of it as a glorified mp3 player, then that's all you use it for and won't be useful to you.

oh and they come with some cool cases..

042c7e85c85b42ff80949cb3c4a47698_7.jpg
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry. Tablet = touchscreen, or whatever other term my tired brain's forgetting, that means you use your finger on a touch-sensitive surface :P

I haven't seen it being controlled with a mouse, yet. And touchscreen/tablet controls don't really port straight over to mouse control. Multitouch, gesturing, etc. So, my logic says this stuff is all a toggleable addon of a main OS, and it's specifically being developed for use with touchscreen devices. As in, if you have it on a tablet, you'd make use of the stuff shown in the video. If you have it installed on a desktop, you just switch it off (or it's already switched off) and use the Windows environment you're no doubt already accustomed to.

I don't think this metro-style thumbnail looking thing is intended to be a replacement for the usual Windows environment we've all gotten used to. You see vanilla Windows in parts of the video posted by the OP. So, I reckon the new stuff is an element they've bolted on.

The stuff in the video posted seems to be like a lot of the newer, "lifestyle" stuff added to OSX in the last few versions. Stuff I never use, as it's a bit...meh.

Anyways. Rambling.

Edit: Added stuff ^^
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome! Now I know exactly what the next ignored version of windows looks like!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    In the end you just do this:

vistaaero4.jpg

My win7 installation looks pretty much like XP.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    They should have stated in that video that this is for the touch version of the OS. Now everyone is bashing them for doing stupid things for desktop OS...

Most of the techy/workstation users I know turn off Win 7 theme. Don't really get why. Love those previews, folder stacking and just the overall look of it. Seams like you would loose most of it by switching back to the XP theme. I thought that was the main Win 7 UI appeal.
    Some say its for saving resources. Maybe it does work, but to be honest, most of these power users have i5, i7, xeon systems with 8+ gigs of ram. Maybe I just like bling bling :/
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I'm good with Win7, thanks. Better than I'll ever be.

And how come people still use vista and "be happy with it", jesus christus, it's the worst turd shat by Microsoft since Windows ME.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Most of the techy/workstation users I know turn off Win 7 theme. Don't really get why.
    Most people don't handle change well. I know people who took XP and switched to classic mode, where everything was the old hard cornered buttons, and ugly gray colors.
    I agree with you, Win7 not only looks nicer, but I also like a lot of the new features, especially the snap feature. Win7 feels faster than XP for me too, so it's not like the Aero theme is slowing things down.

I don't think Win8 is touch only though. He said in the video that you can use a mouse for it.
  • yeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of the techy/workstation users I know turn off Win 7 theme. Don't really get why. Love those previews, folder stacking and just the overall look of it. Seams like you would loose most of it by switching back to the XP theme. I thought that was the main Win 7 UI appeal.
    Some say its for saving resources. Maybe it does work, but to be honest, most of these power users have i5, i7, xeon systems with 8+ gigs of ram. Maybe I just like bling bling :/

Maybe they aren't convinced an i7 can be as powerful as a Pentium II?
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    How are people supposed to work efficiently with that kind of kindergarten UI?