Home General Discussion

Slandering Artists

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
How awesome is this...:
http://www.trutv.com/dumb_as_a_blog/gallery/15-totally-dumb-jobs.html?curPhoto=5

Not that I care but was curious to ask, is this what people really think about being an artist or have you ever thought this about being an artist?

Makes for some interesting discussion, has anyone found anything like this before? Share the link I'd like to read them.

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    The first line

"Wanting to be an artist is like saying "I want to be a hobo who wears trash bags and eats chicken bone salad.""

I should fix this for him

"Wanting to be an artist means you're ready to put in 110% of your effort to become a professional working in a medium that requires talent and dedication, therefore getting paid for it."

And then he continues...

"As a rule, artists are just special princes and princesses who want to be lavished with praise because they think they're talented."

When in actuality, "As a rule, artists must negotiate and communicate with difficult deadlines, contracts, and clients that have little unterstanding of time required by their type of talent."

This entire article is hogwash.
    This made me completely lose credibility to whoever wrote this.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    They slander themselves

It's Tru TV. "Who?" you might ask. Good question...
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    well, considering president, astronaut, oil exec, economist and doctor were also listed.. I wouldn't put too much effort into being insulted by this.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    Slandering artist..

This article was clearly written by someone who is as untalented at writing, as they are at making art.. they just choose the easier of the two. Likely written by a prepubescent teenager, this author needs to give back society the time they've wasted reading this barbaric article.

/end rant

lol.. I think most people can appreciate those who have artistic talent. I for one can.. regardless of the artist's medium.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    haha, sounds like the guy is just jealous. Wouldn't be the first human I've met who arbitrarily despised successful artists. Hell, I'd be pissed at us too if I was stuck in some shitty soul-sucking career with no hope of ever enjoying it no matter how well I did.

I mean, lets be honest here, we've got a pretty fckn sweet job. If someone wants to write a douchey blog post calling us names while we succeed at doing what we love, who cares, we're still winning.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    35859-obvious_troll.jpg

Dude is just writing to provoke people - I wouldn't waste any energy seriously arguing against this.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    I feel like he mostly was refering to like the kind of artist that none of us are...
    savvy, proffessional, and business oriented artists are none of the things he said.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Don't worry about it, TruTV is the station for people who think Spike is too sophisticated.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    who cares what retards think, and most people in the world are retards.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    This is on Tru TV's website. Tru TV can't spell "true" and employs Nancy Grace. I actively want them to not like any part of who I am or what I do.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    the article lists "doctor" as a "dumb ass" job.

opinions_of_a_faggot.jpg

why did you even post this shit, op? did you write it or something?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    yea, quote from there:

"There's always that one brat who announces he or she wants to be a doctor when they grow up because doctors are supposed to be rich and respected. C'mon, kid, pick a cool job like firefighter or Navy SEAL or blogger."

Firefighter = yea, it is a real job that requires intelligent thinking ie. putting water on fire.

Navy SEAL = yes it is a great job because it quires you to follow orders without questioning your conscience or any sort of rational judgment whatsoever.

Blogger = yes it is a great job because it requires you write dumb shit on public website.

disclaimer/ i have nothing against the above jobs but just making an example how any job can be demeaned.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Its a comedy piece written by some random on the internet, not an honest oppinion. If this offends you then you should probably stay away from the rest of the internet aswell.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to keep clicking right, and noticed it has more list of dumbest things... then I noticed it is called "Dumb Blog"... Who's dumb now?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Being an artist is a dumb ass job. You guys should get jobs as walmart greeters like real badasses.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    That blog is stupid and I'm not sure why anyone would take offense to the words in there because it's not like it's meant to be taken seriously or well written or saying anything worth reading.

For what it's worth, he's got astronaut and president of the united states on there too as dumb jobs. So you're among astronauts and heads of state :D
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Wait. Are you guys saying that you DON'T wear trash bags and you DON'T chicken bone salads?

Pffft, what kind of artists are you?
  • WreckZ28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't take the article seriously. Just a blogger that makes less a year than the majority of those on this forum.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    can only afford to eat chicken skin...no bones or salad :(
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    this can't be real

barista.jpg
    aw... you beat me to post this img... he has... a ver small face in a medium head in a kinda big body hahaha
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lets see you're taking serious something from Tru TV, from one of their blogs that's titled, "dumb as a blog" and the first jobs they skewer are doctors?

Tell that to the cardiologist who's standing in the ER, when you have a heart attack at 35.
    "Oh I'm just a meat mechanic huh? Well then I guess you don't need me to remove the 30+ years of big macs from your arteries? I guess I'm too stupid to do a quadruple bypass?

Since you're so smart, here you do it. Oh looks like someone can't hold a scalpel in his left arm Ha ha ha. Don't worry once you restore blood flow it should be fine, get to it Mr funny blogger guy time is ticking and judging by the color of your lips you have about 4-5 min until you black out."

Considering he also goes after chefs and baristas he's begging for something extra in his next meal or coffee... considering those are probably out of work artists, dr's in training or delusional people who think they'll be president the guy is headed for a world of hurt if anyone takes that seriously.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    has anyone found anything like this before? Share the link I'd like to read them.
    why did you even post this shit, op? did you write it or something?
    really... lol, NO!...

Thanks for all the on topic discussion & the input guys.

I agree vig that putting doctor there was pretty stupid to say amongst the others.
    This was just to find out if anyone has found anything similar that they might have come across along these lines.
    My impressions of the "blog" were also that this person was 'jealous' in the sense that he/she had to be the one to write out these "bloggs" of other accomplished people who he/she probably couldn't hold a candle to.

No harm no foul to get all worked up over my curiosity wasn't the point...Thanks again guys, supposed to be a friendly discussion on the topic, topic being the slandering of artists, nothing more.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    there have been quite a few discussions regarding this sort of attitude on conceptart.org- they also have the best responses.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    doctor ...
    lol this blog is a troll to the max
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Its a comedy piece written by some random on the internet, not an honest oppinion. If this offends you then you should probably stay away from the rest of the internet aswell.

this. why are people taking a bit of comedy so seriously?

although i think the responses in this thread are far more amusing than the awkward attempt of the blog.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    $!nz wrote: »
    My impressions of the "blog" were also that this person was 'jealous' in the sense that he/she had to be the one to write out these "bloggs" of other accomplished people who he/she probably couldn't hold a candle to.

What made you take it seriously? I thought it was pretty obvious that the guy was just jerking people's chains.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    this. why are people taking a bit of comedy so seriously?

because nothing about it is funny in the slightest.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKGuh44_LBc[/ame]
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne wrote: »
    What made you take it seriously? I thought it was pretty obvious that the guy was just jerking people's chains.

Didn't take it seriously it was to see who else found anything along a similar topic about artist that might have been serious about their statements.
    This was just to find out if anyone has found anything similar that they might have come across along these lines.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    savvy, proffessional, and business oriented artists are none of the things he said.

Did he mention lolcats and cock tanks? I can't be bothered to read the article.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Andreas wrote: »
    Did he mention lolcats and cock tanks? I can't be bothered to read the article.

Secondeddedded.

I may be poor, but I will always find money for alcohol.

oh, oh, let's start that wacom, wackem, waycom, wahcum debate again!