Home General Discussion

BRAINSTORM: What's sort of collaborative projects could we do as a community?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
I know we have unofficial collab project, and some other group activities going on, but I've often wondered if we could do a mod as an art community.

This wouldn't be design by committee, either. Design-by-committee or "too many cooks in the kitchen syndrome" is what kills a lot of the group projects.

A few people - myself and more senior artists/developers - would take ownership of the project and come up with a compelling idea for a mod, post what that is, and see what would be involved.

From there we'd create an art test, based on the mod idea, to see who would fill the rest of the team out. Once the entire team is established, we - as an entire community - would build this mod.

"Adam, this is stupid. You just said the team would be small but that the entire community would build the mod. Explain yourself, you drunk!"

What I mean is, everyone who would like to be involved can help drive the project forward. Offer ideas, criticism, modeling adjustments and so on. Think of it as if a mod team joined PC and posted progress shots of their mod. What would you do? You'd post comments and critiques along the way. This would be no different.

TL;DR:

-Can we do a mod as a community of artists?
-The core team would consist of established/senior game artists.
-The rest of the team is established via needs and art tests.
-Entire PC community is welcome to comment, critique, name-call, praise, and so on.

BTW: I doubt I would ever do this. I'd have to pass the buck of admining the site in order to focus on such a thing which I am not so sure I am comfortable with at the moment. I am more or less trying to gauge what you guys would think of such a controlled attempt to making a mod in an otherwise open community.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    As a avid modder and lover of this community, I wouldn't touch this with a 50 foot pole.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to see this happen, and I'm fairly certain Polycount could pull it off. How big do you think the mod team would be?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    cholden wrote: »
    As a avid modder and lover of this community, I wouldn't touch this with a 50 foot pole.

Crappy brainstorm is crappy! Explain yo'self!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I think this would be cool, but a mod of what exactly?
    Anything in mind?
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Sounds like something to pro sue a little. I think having a small team create a small base line look, style and feel, then create cells of 4 or 5 peeps doing specific things after that looking at the baseline would be the way to go.

FYI speaking as an artist.

also what metal said: of what would be a big factor.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it's feasable. It'd also make for a great learning experience for those of us that have never made a game or worked in the industry. As with all mods, the success depends on three things, scope, scope, and scope. Senior game devs or no, biting off more than you can chew is a slippery slope, especially for a project you're doing outside of work for zero pay. Of course, as senior games devs, you already know this... :)

Beyond that, my experience with mod teams are that there's always a dedicated and motivated core that pushes forward. The rise or fall of the mod depends on those people being present and active. When they are, shit gets done. When they're not, the people on the periphery disappear, the mod changes hands and gets rewritten, etc, etc, eventually leading to deadsville. Find that core group to organize and set things in motion and I think you'll find a willing army of recruits to join up.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    coders are the backbone. We have no backbones. We flop over.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    imo, if something like this were to work it would need to be very easy to add lots of 'chunks' into it (user work), without specifying exactly what those were or precisely what style they were in.

so
    - a game where content can come in seperate interchangable pieces at varying levels of size (or work requirement)
    - mismatched style *is the style*. No heavy handed enforcement of one perfect style

to give an example: Polycount tetris.

Large scale tasks: 'setting design' (the outer area which holds the game, score, etc. this could be done as an environment.

Medium scale task: 'piece set design' - design a whole set of tetris shapes

small scale tasks: 'single piece design' - create any model you want as long as its silhouette conforms to one of the basic tetris shapes. These could include characters, random tech greebles, hand-painted looking wood pieces etc. This can contribute to a mode where any of the created pieces may be used for the game, in a big mashup of models.

so here an artist can create an entire scene and piece theme to go with it, or just one single piece, and the whole thing still holds together. this is the kind of thinking it'll need imo

(naturally in this example, you'd also need to seperate the model into bits for when lines are removed. some guidelines will be unavoidable, but keep them as loose as possible)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You can do mod's without coders. Difficult, but doable.

What about a community project instead? Like what if we did a huge content pack that we released, for free, royalty free.

For instance: the Polycount Crate package. A plethora of different crates, resolutions, and sizes, and so on. All source material is sent with it, everything. Old, modern, scifi, alien, etc. etc.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    I'm pretty sure it can be done, but it also could easily turn into a mess.

To make things potentially more productive I would just like to ask a question:

What this project is going to do for the community that polycount in it's current form with p&p and contests doesn't?
    (talking about the mod)

edit:
    Community project is a nice idea but the theme would have to be really awesome to make it better then just another contest.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    d1ver: Good question.

A collective goal that a large group would collaborate on. Contests & P&P do not offer that. When collaborating on that scale, the personal buy-in from the individual is much greater. Similar to how collaborating at work is fucking awesome ;)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    my favourite PC collab was the polycount town where you had interchangable plots.. maybe it'd be cool to do one of those pixel art towers ( http://www.mrwong.de/myhouse/ ) except in 3d.. just provide the floor/ceiling template and let people go nuts, then compile em for an animation
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Fuck, love that idea. SeanEG suggested something similar.

Alright now my brain is going crazy with POLYCOUNT TOWER thoughts.

UDK pros: What would be required to do this successfully? yes a template for people to abide by but what about when its time to compile the end result? Would it be best to have each 'floor' come in as a group of assets/1 large asset and bring in the UDK package as well?
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    I really like this idea. Leadership will be key, and as long as we have a synthesized vision for what we hope to achieve, a community like Polycount will be capable of great things.

If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for vast and endless sea.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell yeah rooster :)

I sent this idea to adam a while ago, but they were busy building the new Polycount. I'll copy and paste the message here to see what you guys think.

ORIGINAL MESSAGE

Hey Adam, I had an idea earlier for a Polycount group UDK project that I thought might be interesting. I wanted to run it by you first to see if it would even be possible.

I was inspired by the Polycount Stall thread, where everyone signs their name to the wall. What if, using UDK, we collectively built a virtual "Polycount Office". Everyone who wishes to participate will receive a 15x15 foot (or whatever size) office space that belongs to them. They can do whatever they would like within their office, whether it be build their dream office or just make it ridiculous. They could fill it with models they have previously done, or make all new models. Outside of each office will be a plaque on the wall with the members username. There could be separate floors for different levels of members. Members with 1-299 posts could be floor 1, 300-999 could be floor 2, 1000 posts and up could be floor 3, and admins could have their own floor.

The more skilled PC members could also be in charge of the hallways, stairs, and other layout features of the office. Every so often, a build of the level would be available for download, for members to run through.

Like I said, I don't know if this would be possible or not. Whoever organizes the project would have to put rules and regulations regarding the specs of each room and such. I'm also not sure how we would go about integrating all the work that everyone does into one single environment. That's why I'm running this by you before posting the idea, to see if this is even logically possible.

I just think it would be very entertaining to run through what you would envision the Polycount Office building to look like, and be able to view each member's personal office. It would also give members a chance to produce models, learn some of the engine, and show off their models in-game.

Let me know what you think, if it doesn't make any sense, feel free to shoot it down as well, haha.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Let's refocus this discussion from a MOD to a collaborative effort. The TOWER idea that Rooster had (SeanEG yours reminds me if this) seems fitting for us.

Thoughts?
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So would it be a collaborative purely environment art project?
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is a big fat no.

otoh, take a look at the polycount mc server. this is probably about the closest polycount will ever get to doing a mod as a community and the hints for something successful are there.

1. it needs to be multiplayer
    2. easy way to import models and do fancy things like turn them into entities or simply static meshes (all the while being in multiplayer still)
    3. coop multiplayer world editing ala minecraft,

currently there is no engine i know of that can pull this off, the closest that i know of is the sauerbraten engine ( http://sauerbraten.org/ ) you can actually do ingame coop editing of levels and add entities that already exist, although you cant for instance browse to a folder and add in some arbitrary models ingame if i can recall.

while sauerbraten is no UDK in terms of graphics you can do a lot to make it pretty, and its ingame level editor, while limited is FAR more flexible and powerfull then world building in minecraft.

also the main engine coder is a friend of mine, could probably convince him to work on something assuming some really great art from polycount actually could make its way into his engine ;)

now with that all said i dont think it would ever happen :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Shanthosa wrote: »
    So would it be a collaborative purely environment art project?

It doesn't need to be. What inhabits a tower? Characters!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    there is already a collab project doing that as we speak.

So if yall are jumping back to collabs let it be known there is one already in progress.

Eh?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I think handing out a prefabricated piece that is as 'airtight' as it can be, with some set rules for joining in the collaboration, would work. Let people hand in their submission whenever they get it done.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'd really like to do something like this in 3D, within UDK or something thats free for all to use:

http://www.mrwong.de/myhouse/
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I also think the tower idea would be a fantastic low-poly project. Hmm.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    right, the guidelines definately need to be super simple for people to bother their arses :). Maybe you don't even need a template, just say 'it needs to join perfectly with a plane, x by x on the origin, and another plane the same size 2-3 meters above it. limit horizontal straying by such and such, and try not to overlap above/below

edit: low poly sounds good! especially if it's to be viewable in real time, since the model could get high-poly fast if you pile up enough floors hehe
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Could always give each person a shell that they can tack stuff on. Im just trying to figure out how to deal with all the packages. Maybe level streaming each shell/floor? Also would be sweet to have this on iphone.

EDIT: holy shit this thread moved fast.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really don't think doing a "Polycount Office/Tower" would be all too difficult. The main structure of the building would be modular (hallways, floors, ceilings) which would allow easy expansion. Each participant would be given a pre-built mesh of a room or office and a set of specs (tri-count, texture limit). They are then free to do whatever they would like with their space. Once finished, export the package and submit it.

One problem I foresee, however, is how the designated level builder would get everyone's assets placed correctly. Although it shouldn't be too hard if each participant assembles their space in their 3d app and exports each asset with the correct world space coordinates.
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would the idea of this project be to have something that is meant to be viewed as a static composite from the outside? Or is the idea to have it be something I can walk through on the inside?
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally had envisioned being able to walk through it. I think it would be awesome to walk around and see everyone's work and find little easter eggs that they include.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Remember Cory's PC Bathroom project? That actually worked pretty well for a while. I pitched in on that, and would probably do it again.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    SeanEG: I do love the office cubicle idea.. the building layout part is the only bit which makes me hesitate, since it does put burden on someone actually doing that work. the plus side of the tower is you just plonk the pieces one on top of the other

edit: yeah true the walkthrough aspect is appealing. does that mean creating collision geometry etc tho? I'm wary about any requirements which could either put people off or reduce the chance the work gets finished
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    so since we are throwing out the current collab project/team. Let it be known we exist.

Since this isnt about a mod/indie game.

I thought that was dead? :poly141:
  • bgoodsell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In terms of editing that tower for the UDK, you can just have the percipients turn their final composition into a prefab. This will make moving a lot of geometry easier and leaves less room for someone else to screw up placement. So long as everyone obeys the template and doesn't let their top/bottom bleed into each others it would be the easiest way to stack everything. This of course implies that someone will have to take the time to manually put together a tower scene out of smaller pieces.

In terms of assets, just have all the assets with the prefab included in one package and throw them all in the test packages folder of the udk build. Makes it much easier to import content into a new scene.

If your going with the tower idea, I think it would also be nice to standardize lighting and post processing effects (if any) so people can build assets knowing that they'll all fit together in some regards.

All in all I like this idea. Hope it evolves into the next polycount competition.

edit. This reminds me of animal crossings house interiors.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster: Very true, and it's definitely something that should be considered. I do think that even just making a handful of modular, very plain hallway pieces could go a long way towards building a simple office layout. Even with the tower idea, we would still need stair meshes in order to be able to walk through the environment and travel between floors, unless I misunderstood the concept.

Either way, it's an exciting idea :)

What about a little thing like...an Universe.

Haha, the irony in this statement made me chuckle.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In terms of placement, just have everything turned into a prefab with pivot at the bottom so its easier for the level builder to place.

@Dado: You thinking of like super mario galaxy? Would be awesome haha.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Sean: I guess I was envisioning something more like, i guess the zen bound menu: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRVN0mfV7MA[/ame]

so you spin it around and look at it from the outside. maybe peer through some windows , or cutaway section to the interior (if someone made an interior)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Can I be the idea guy?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'd much prefer to view the tower from the outside. I don't want to have to worry about walkable spaced (read: collision). Collision is not fun. This project would be fun. Therefor, no collision. No walking.

I'd likely just build the tower and do some helicopter style videos of it.

Gonna brain storm this idea more tonight once I get home and can open max!

EDIT: Rooster - exactly!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster: Ohhhh, okay, I think I understand what you mean now. So instead of walking through it, it would be more of a outside looking in type thing? That might be cool. I was thinking along the lines of what if Polycount was a tangible workplace, and you could walk around the offices during a typical workday.

EDIT: I guess the only concern I have about keeping the viewer outside is that you wouldn't be able to see people's work as well, or be able to get up close and see little personal touches on their desks and what not. Or maybe I'm just picturing this all wrong, haha.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Went to play test and had an idea for the tower:

Polycount HQ
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    SeanEG wrote: »
    rooster: Ohhhh, okay, I think I understand what you mean now. So instead of walking through it, it would be more of a outside looking in type thing? That might be cool. I was thinking along the lines of what if Polycount was a tangible workplace, and you could walk around the offices during a typical workday.

Check out the link I posted up there^
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What if each participant were given a floor? Like in the example of the pixel art tower that Adam referenced. That way each person's work would be easier to fit together, since you could just place it at a fixed X and Z and then just translate it by some Y in the scene.

Each floor could include an elevator in the center and still be constrained to some bounds.

Edit: Just read adam's post about no collision data. This thread moves too fast :/
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would collision be that hard if we just had a few modular hallway pieces connecting each office? (Not asked in a condescending way, but rather as in a I'm genuinely curious way.)
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    Polycount HQ

PC Orbital HQ? One long space station where everyone designs a section. Might give more flexibility than a down-to-earth office building...
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Humm... since making a mod is difficult because of lack of coders, what about to think in a game, plot, characters, environments, and make some animation cinematics, illustrating various parts of the game? Maybe this can give a great exposure to the project, and then some coders can join to us. And start working in a real mod, using the already created assets.

The advantage in making cinematics is that this can be done purely by artists, since the plot, til the final animation. And it covers everything on the process, plot, concept of chars, enviros, modeling, texturing, animation, effects, etc. I think this would be really good for general learning.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Maybe I'm late to this, but what about a "Polycount Fortress" for some form of a 3D chatroom? I know there's Minecraft, but I'm sure it would be fun to do something all our own. We could build our own little 3D community in 3D space!
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    rooster wrote: »
    my favourite PC collab was the polycount town where you had interchangable plots.. maybe it'd be cool to do one of those pixel art towers ( http://www.mrwong.de/myhouse/ ) except in 3d.. just provide the floor/ceiling template and let people go nuts, then compile em for an animation

That is an awesome idea. Would vertical circulation be handled by some kind of teleporter or elevator or stairs? Also, you could kick out some Doctor Who TARDIS/Hank Pym Infinite Mansion shenanigans with a closet door that houses some impossibly huge room.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Shanthosa wrote: »
    What if each participant were given a floor? Like in the example of the pixel art tower that Adam referenced. That way each person's work would be easier to fit together, since you could just place it at a fixed X and Z and then just translate it by some Y in the scene.

Each floor could include an elevator in the center and still be constrained to some bounds.

Edit: Just read adam's post about no collision data. This thread moves too fast :/

that's pretty much the idea.

The space station comment has me thinkin' now too..
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    That is an awesome idea. Would vertical circulation be handled by some kind of teleporter or elevator or stairs? Also, you could kick out some Doctor Who TARDIS/Hank Pym Infinite Mansion shenanigans with a closet door that houses some impossibly huge room.

THIS IS PORTAL!!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm..I'll throw another idea out there:

What if we had a simple setup of rooms/hallways. Probably modular pieces so it can be added too, then a person(or a team) could "register" a room, then build a mini environment in it.

So basically, you have something similar to exhibits in an art gallery.

Would be simple, easy to organize in udk (one .upk per room or something).

Really makes me wish you could do browser builds with UDK (like Unity) as I'm sure the vast majority of people will want to use UDK.

Edit: Damnit realized somebody already mentioned a similar idea. Haha this thread IS moving fast.
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scrawld polycounter lvl 12
    If you were worried about collision, why not a mini polycount city? Think of it as a giant model city that sat on a table. Each person is allotted a plot of land a specific size that people had to fill. Or you could assign people a specific task like make a park or a town hall or whatever. You could walk around the table and view it from any angle, zoom in and see detail and stuff.

I'd be more pumped for that as opposed to a tower (no offence).