Home Technical Talk

3dsmax 2012 map updating

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
Hi, my 2012 max has serious issue with map updating. When I'm using shader like Xoliul or 3pointlight it sees some maps as a previous versions. It doesn't update them in viewport and when I go to a window where i choose the map and click on the map i want it shows previous version.

2vc87zq.png

here the gloss map is really bright but actually the file is all black. I changed it in photoshop and saved with vtools script. Max does see version from before saving so therefore it doesn't show the updated version in viewport. I hope my english was sufficient to show what I mean ;p It destroys the work flow horribly. Only restarting max causes it to show the proper version of map.

Replies

• MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump!

Anyone? Anything?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's kind of a classic problem with max. I think it shuts off texture updating if a material changes too many times in a few minutes. Normally toggling the material editor open and closed forces it to refresh. I think the default is M. So you save in PS, go back to max punch M twice and it updates.

I think it might also have something to with limited memory like it stops updating if your system starts to run low on ram?

If it isn't any of that, its probably something they broke during the latest updates to the viewport & material editor and you should send them a bug report. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?linkID=9241177&id=5600504&siteID=123112
    If you're running the trial version I think you can enter 0000000000 for the serial number.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the save/load dialogue there, you can right click -> refresh in an empty white space there, could help.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solved. I putted all those maps in slots of a normal blinn shader. Max updates maps in not realtime shaders but this update forces the update in realtime shader. Working around maxs flaws but it works :)
  • leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leechdemon polycounter lvl 11
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    Solved. I putted all those maps in slots of a normal blinn shader. Max updates maps in not realtime shaders but this update forces the update in realtime shader. Working around maxs flaws but it works :)

That's very interesting; I've been using DX shaders lately and noticed that the refresh bug has been coming up more frequently as of late. You're saying you're just instancing the maps into a standard shader with no frills, that way it'll update THOSE correctly, and in turn, will refresh the maps you ACTUALLY want refreshed?
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep. Dunno why but max updates maps in normal shaders but this fact forces the update in dx shaders. You don't have to apply this normal blinn shader to anything. Just have one in material editor with those maps. Works for me.
  • leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leechdemon polycounter lvl 11
    Weird, I'll have to try that when it acts up next. I've noticed something similar happening in Hardware Viewport vs Rendered maps; I got it to bug recently where the Rendered map seemed to be different from the Hardware Viewport map. Hopefully this'll fix that too.

Good find. Thanks!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread here, but I'm having this issue as well. Using 2012 with Windows 7. The refresh option doesn't seem to be working, closing the material editor doesn't seem to work, I've also tried assigning a different texture and reassigning the one with the updated map, and changing which file is being loaded in the norm/diff/spec maps and it will either sometime work or I have to just close max entirely to see an update. Perna- it seems like you might know exactly what I'm looking for.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Hi folks,

this is a pesky issue I have been looking at today.

so far 3 options present themselves.

1) don't use 2012 unless you have to.
    2) stick the maps you care about into a max native material (rendermaterial inside a dxmaterial doesnt work though)
    3) ghetto fix is to ctrl-alt-del and then cancel. The gfx device has to reset somehow and the textures get re-loaded.

If anyone has any real fix or better workaround I'd love to hear more. :)
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    hey per, i will test at work tomorrow and let you know! thanks man!
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    It didn't seem to fix the issue for me. :(
    I'm going to continue to investigate - I have got it to work by a combo of turning on and off the update maps checkbox, the hardware mode and recompiling the directx shader.