Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Combat Engineer WIP

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Kihlstrand polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone!

This is my first post on Polycount, so I'll make a short introduction here!
I'm about to graduate from the university of Skövde as a Bachelor in Arts. And now over to what I'm working with atm.

I'm currently working with a character that should fit in the Warcraft universe. I'm aiming for the same art style, humor and internal logic. To achieve this, I've worked with the proportions, the stupid weapon designs and bright colors (who would really attach a rocket to a fistweapons just to get an extra boost for one hit?). Anyway, I thought I could post my progress here, since there is alot of nice stuff going on in this forum and I thought I could be a part of it. Share ideas, compliment positive things, constructive critique, etc.

So, here I present my Combat Engineer, without any name for the moment. If you have any idea for some, don't hesitate to tell me!

Looking forward to share the creativity of art!

The concept piece
character_concept.jpg
Highpoly sculpt
character_HP.JPG
Highpoly of the so called RocketFist. Really, really stupid invention.
rocketfist_HP.JPG
Highpoly of the rocketlauncher.
rocketlauncher_HP.JPG
Highpoly of your everyday standard issue sword.
sword_HP.JPG
Lowpoly with baked maps
character_bakedmaps.JPG
Lowpoly in wireframe mode. Its around 11k tris and everything is mapped to a 2048x2048
character_wireframe.JPG
Finally, the UV chart. Always good to know where those UVs are placed...
character_UV.jpg

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    This looks pretty cool so far. Nice modeling. I dunno if you ever plan on removing his helmet, but it looks like you could save a lot of space on your UVs by deleting the scalp or at least mirroring it.

Looking forward to the final textures.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the diffuse still wip? It seems like these are just solid colors over the normal map. It's a nice style, and one I like, but it doesn't fit into the warcraft art style very well. Warcraft art is basically 1 really nice hand painted bevel, repeated 9,000,000 times.
  • Kihlstrand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kihlstrand polycounter lvl 7
    @haikai: Yes, the helm is supposed to be removeable. I want to pose him with his helm on and off.Thanks!
    @achillesian: The diffuse is extremely much wip, thats just AO, Normal map and some colors baked from the highpoly. As you say, warcraft style its all about hand painted textures... I'll try to achieve some look-alike with a mix of both. Experiment fo' sho'. Thanks for the comment!