Home Technical Talk

Capturing a cavity map out of zbrush 4

synergy11
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
I created a tile-able texture in zbrush that Im capturing materials from. The normal, diffuse and spec worked well. However I am having trouble getting a good material setting for capturing cavity maps. I tried using Behrooz's settings from this thread

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=79141&page=15&pp=15

But It did not work as in intended.

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

I wonder if it's possible to create a material setting that resembles ambient occlusion?

Thanks !

Chris

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If it didn't work as intended, what as the result and what were you aiming for?

You could go to the alpha palette and grab the document. Create a new plane (subdivide but don't smooth) and apply the alpha as a displacement map. Then you could use BPR to render AO, or use MultiMap Exporter to export both an AO and cavity map. You could even switch to the flat-color matcap and then mask by cavity / ao and then paint it in.
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MalloryW polycounter lvl 14
    You could also mask by AO and then create a texture from masking. Though mask by AO always crashes for me for some reason. If that doesn't work you could try the same thing except with mask by cavity.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya mask by AO and mask by Cavity work pretty well, although I generally prefer to create my cavity maps in photoshop using the normal map and the xnormal photoshop plugin. Alot less hassle that way I think
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks folks.

I'll try those methods.

The result was that I just got a blank white material applied. I should have been a darkish color in all the pits and cavities when I applied the cavity material..then I could have just exported doc as PSD for compositing.