Home General Discussion

Amnesia: Dark Descent

Ark
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ark polycounter lvl 11
So I've had this game on pre-order for a few months now, absolutely loved the atmosphere in the Penumbra series and it looks like they've captured it again in Amnesia.

They just released a demo here: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/56939/Demo-for-Amnesia-Dark-Descent-Now-Available

Haven't played it since i don't want to spoil the full game, even though i believe the levels are separate from the full game for the demo.

Anyone liking this i urge you to pre-order, their a really small indie team and really deserve it.

Replies

• Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Loved the demo, I really like how the object interaction works..very portal like state of nirvana.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    sweeet. penumbra was great, actually quite spooky and immserive even though the art was not so hot.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Played the demo last night, and it scared the ever-loving shit out of me. And I'll continue to get the shit scared out of me when the full game releases.

Performance was surprisingly rock-solid, too, even for my laptop (ran at 1024x768 with all effects maxed out, even ssao, which i nearly always have to disable in other games).
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I'm away from my PC but I'll play the demo as soon as I get back home. Definitely going to pre-order, I loved Penumbra (except for Requiem, which is completely unnecessary) and I feel like I owe those guys cause I got the 3 games for $5 at Direct2Drive, it was so cheap it felt like stealing.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that demo was fantastic. Incredibly well made, those guys really know how to get into your head and scare. Definitely getting the full game.

Art was still meh, but definitely a step up from Penumbra.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the recommendation! I grabbed the full game a few hours ago. The atmosphere is wonderful. My wife and I are both too terrified to sleep now.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I really enjoyed the demo, but imo the screen effects are a bit too heavy handed. I had to remove the screen trails because they actually took me out of the game instead of immersing me further

sploshy monster is a great idea!
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    Likewise. I disabled the trails and the insanity effect. They were making me feel a bit nauseated.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was a bit overdone in the demo as well but I read it was intentionally exagerated there and would not be as intense in the final product. I hope I come to like it cause I'd like to experience the game as it was intended but if it's just as intense as in the demo I'll definitely turn it off.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I actually just been playing the game and had to leave because a monster was chasing me and I had to hide behind a crate. This really shows how freaking scary games can be when there is something to lose, in this case, you can't fight back, if a monster come for you, you are screwed and better run. When you know that your chances are slim to none, fear bigtime.
    So far awesome game (though I really hated the waterlevel...freaked me totally out hearing the splashing behind me). And since I spoiler-tagged this now, I can elaborate and say the "turn the wheel" part of it was stressful, turning and just hear the splashing coming behind you.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Ryan Clark wrote: »
    Likewise. I disabled the trails and the insanity effect. They were making me feel a bit nauseated.

This is only real reason I quit playing the demo. Only other games that gave me motion sickness was Decent: Freespace, and Metroid Prime series
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Despite my eagerness for this game, i still haven't played that much of it yet and yes, that insanity is really nauseating.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Man, I played it like they suggestion, at night (2am) and with headphones on.

I couldn't stop the shivers in my body... then... well don't wanna ruin it for you :P.

I really like the fact that the darkness, really scares you.. no other game does it like this one, amazing horror, one of the best.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Yes the game has a major spook-factor.

and McGreed: better spoiler that up, son!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Bump for Steam Halloween sale!

Spooky adventure horror just in time for Halloween (and on sale on steam). I recently read a good review of this in Game Informer (I think) so I gave it a shot. What a creepy game! Turn off the lights and crank the headphones.

Anyway, just bought this game last night, and so far, McGreed, that's everyone's favorite part.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, I pre-ordered and haven't got time to play it yet, not it's on sale. At least I supported the team. :p
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Scariest game evar!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    SPOILER DET SHIT!

But yes, for all those who doubt - totally worth it game. It excels where many games fail, so modestly and humbly. I hope they make a sequel.
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been trying to import the model files for this game into either 3D Max or Maya, but none of the plugins I try seem to work. They're .msh files. Are there any plugins that any of you have had success with in getting the Amnesia: The Dark Descent models into 3D Max or Maya? If so, could you please show them to me?

I'm starting to think .msh files are specific to the game they were made for, so that might be one of the reasons the plugins I've tried don't work.
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, for the sake of general discussion, the expansion campaign is awesome. I love the new monsters, especially since they talk to you :D
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I would imagine it's their own mesh format.

I just recently completed this game (haven't played Justine yet) and I think the puzzling falls apart a little bit at the end but it's absolutely fucking terrifying. I've never really played a game that is scary in the way that this is scary before.
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    I would imagine it's their own mesh format.

I just recently completed this game (haven't played Justine yet) and I think the puzzling falls apart a little bit at the end but it's absolutely fucking terrifying. I've never really played a game that is scary in the way that this is scary before.
    That's too bad if that really is what .msh files are like. It would make sense, because the plugins I've tried were for the .msh formats of other games. That sucks.

Even as a horror fan completely desensitized to everything scary, I still got the willies from that game. I had to play happy music, like the Nyan Cat song during parts where the enemy appearance rate was high, otherwise I'd be reluctant to go out in the open and I'd end up just hiding. I even got startled when the three grunts came to get me, even though I knew it was coming from watching a few playthroughs.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The game is pretty scary BUT for me it wears off because you expect things. It is a game that you can only play once.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I played it 2 times lol
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's too bad if that really is what .msh files are like. It would make sense, because the plugins I've tried were for the .msh formats of other games. That sucks.

Even as a horror fan completely desensitized to everything scary, I still got the willies from that game. I had to play happy music, like the Nyan Cat song during parts where the enemy appearance rate was high, otherwise I'd be reluctant to go out in the open and I'd end up just hiding. I even got startled when the three grunts came to get me, even though I knew it was coming from watching a few playthroughs.

Have you tried 3D Ripper DX?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I couldnt make it even an hour into the game. Was scared shitless.
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried 3D Ripper DX?
    Not yet. I'll look it up, though. Thanks :)