Home Technical Talk

[ 3D Viewer ] Free alternative to marmorset ?

rares
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
rares polycounter lvl 9
Hy guys! i was just wondering if anybody knew of a free alternative to marmorset with similar capabilities

Replies

• MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    UDK ? Xoliul shader ? 3pointlight shader ? 2 of those needs max though.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I´m currently writing one, with hopefully similar capabilities eventhough it´s not meant for that specifically but it can be used at such.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    SpeCter wrote: »
    I´m currently writing one, with hopefully similar capabilities eventhough it´s not meant for that specifically but it can be used at such.
    I saw a screen at the what are you working on thread, have more to stuff to create a thread? I love following stuff like that.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    on a sidenote, a friend at work is working on a webGL (firefox 4 and chrome compatible right now) engine. Right now he is more busy with core stuff such as smoothing groups, normals etc. but something like that would be really nice. Like a polycount supported online viewer where people could showcase their models with.

Unity crashes a lot for me in the browser + freezes at times the browser, flash is not really up to it either (waiting for molehill). But I foresee a big potential in this area- especially with a solution that doesn't need a annoying plugin (acrobat 3d, unity, silverlight, quicktime, java,...).
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @renderhjs: Currently i´m reworking some of the codebase to make it easier to implement new features and to make the code itself more maintainable.

This started as a little modelviewer for Ogre3D meshes and now it´s possible to make a simple lighting setup(this is something which will be extended first), show animations, change textures during runtime.
    It even had some kind of screenshot feature(maximum resolution was about 10k*10k), which will find it´s way back later.

At the time it´s capable of opening obj files i will probably make an own thread here to let people follow it´s progress.
  • rares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rares polycounter lvl 9
    so the short answer is sadly no :(, i've been scowering the internets all day hoping to find a capable 3d viewer with decent realtime materials(not a full fledged 3d app or game-engine, that's just beyond the scope of what i want), i thought there'd be lot more alternatives..
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Specter, have you considered doing Glossy Reflections and IBL?
    I did it in shaderFX recently and its suprisingly simple and awesome looking
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it´s doable with Ogre3D and their shader system why not? Or not really ogre but with cg-shaders.
    But keep in mind, that my programs purpose isn´t for model presentation(it´s already able to do that though).
    First and foremost it´s meant to make life easier regarding material scripts and changing textures.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    renderhjs wrote: »
    on a sidenote, a friend at work is working on a webGL (firefox 4 and chrome compatible right now) engine. Right now he is more busy with core stuff such as smoothing groups, normals etc. but something like that would be really nice. Like a polycount supported online viewer where people could showcase their models with.

Unity crashes a lot for me in the browser + freezes at times the browser, flash is not really up to it either (waiting for molehill). But I foresee a big potential in this area- especially with a solution that doesn't need a annoying plugin (acrobat 3d, unity, silverlight, quicktime, java,...).

Whenever the Unity flash exporter is released that will solve any problems of needing users to install a plugin, assuming all the shader features are there and the code execution is not a lot slower than a regular build.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might have changed and got better, but in 2010 at least WebGL was hideously slow.

Not even approaching the performance of Unity or Molehill (which isn't as fast as Unity eiher, at least the beta build).
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    UDK ? Xoliul shader ? 3pointlight shader ? 2 of those needs max though.

xoluil's shader works in maya, it works really well actually. :poly121:
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Didn't know about maya since I don't use it. Shame new 2012 max makes everything harder in realtime model viewing...
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://gritengine.com is pretty well capable so far for viewing models in real time with advanced shading and lots of support.

If it misses anything you need, you should tell on the forums to put some stank on it ;)

The engine itself is meant to replace the GTA engine for gta modders and be the first/only engine capable of GTA/RDR/Bully type worlds.

There is no other engine that can do that the way Rockstar does their masterworks (REAL streaming, simple text files, no compiling, deferred rendering, bullet, extensive lua, etc), and this one is free (MIT)

It would be cool to see it being used as a viewer. It has simple 3 lines of text to load a model, place it, and its material. It has a full daycycle with accurate stars (NYC in the fall).

Would be cool to see it used like that, we're looking for people who want to model stuff in it or donate time or models for the core game (full game for a demo with this engine, so it'll take a lot of people :P).

Not that it is mind blowing or anything, and it only uses normal/spec/color maps (the engine supports a lot more than this shows), but here is a couple of images:

Crytek's Sponza model:

crytek2.png

a simple barrel:

barrel.png
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    the Xoliul works perfect in Maya 2012.

what are you using this for model presentation or as a viewer too see things as you work on textures.
  • rares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rares polycounter lvl 9
    i'd like to use it for presentation, texture viewing is more practical inside maya
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the previous version of marmoset was free and already capable, surely you can still get it on the web somewhere.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    still olny $50 anyways which isnt bad for a usefull tool
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    interesting development:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNmoEOpGJdk&feature=player_detailpage#t=649s
    Asset management game tool from a Google employee with material and shader support
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice link! That GWT + WebGL stuff is pretty hot.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like i can borrow some ideas of it, i just need to think of how and where to add them.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    it seems that my prediction was right, insomniac started playing with a webGL / html based app for their pipeline.
    http://www.insomniacgames.com/new-generation-of-insomniacgames-tools-as-webapp/

lunarest1.png

lunarest2.png

kinda exciting days