Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Art Dump] Alex MacDonald - Environmental Artist

Hi all! My name is Alex and I'm an environmental artist who will be graduating soon.
I've just started to feel comfortable enough with the quality of my artwork to show it off, so any critiques or tips would be appreciated.

I was assigned this door in class. It's based off a quake 4 concept. Screenshot's from UDK. Also, the textures are 2 x 1024 and 1 x 512.

QuakeDoor.jpg

Replies

• Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange is kind of too saturated. It could be toned down a little more.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    The saturation of the orange depends completely on the surrounding environment. Generally what we see are more serious environments, so I can see where you're saying it needs to be desaturated a little bit. However if this were a little more cartoonish/less serious this could very easily fit in.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there might be just a little too much orange. It looks like its worn enough that some of the orange would be scratched off in areas. Could you post your texture sheets?

Also, the concept is by Paul Richards, if you want to credit him directly.
    quake4_door1.jpg
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    That was your class assignment? Strange they would assign someone elses concept for class. Seems like paul richards or activision should be paid a fee for designing course work :)
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    The proportions of the parts are a bit odd (side indent pieces are super squashed, the top bits of the door frame look puny). And you left out lots of the cool details (various indentions, the lights/buttons next to the circular bit, the paneling in the top part of the door).

While you don't -always- need to stick 100% to concepts, I would have liked too have seen more of the goodness in the concept translated over; if you make changes, make the changes for the better (either technically or artistically).
  • Oizys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for all the critiques guys! I agree with you sinistergfx, it needs more detail. Unfortunately, I had to hurry to get it done so I could move on to the next project.

The orange textures were inspired by this level, created by Philip Klevestav.

scifi_02.jpg

A classmate of mine made his textures in a single 1024 image, but he had less scratches and whatnot. I'm wondering if I did the same, would the reduction in image quality be noticible?

Here are the textures.

DoorDiff.jpg

DoorFrameDiff.jpg

LockDiff.jpg
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Looks cool but you seem to have some normal issues down the seam. In UDK it could be many things... splitting edges along the seam usually works though.

What is it modeled with?
  • Oizys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's modeled with 3DS Max. Based on the research I've done, the seam seems to be a normal problem due to it running horizontally, not vertically. There's another ugly portion on top that looks like it's having trouble, but it just needs more geometry.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    well, you could technically move the seam to either side where the geometry changes. less noticable I think.

I guess it's nothing too big to care about. Haha.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Ya 3 1024s is insane. One 1024 is good.