Home General Discussion

Splinter Cell Conviction and AI

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Lamont polycounter lvl 15
When I play stealth action games I am always bothered by some aspects of the AI. And the one thing that gets me the most is the way I play vs how they react. AI see's a dead body, walks over to investigate, AI gets killed. 3rd AI walks over to check it out, dies. So now I have a pile of 5 bodies in the same spot. But AI reacts the same as if there was one. I am hoping one day they can react to the severity of the situation, not just get slaughtered.

I would say the worst offender is Rainbow 6 Vegas. I used to play it a lot till I figured you can have a team mate act as a rabbit, run through the level shooting wild and lead all the AI back to a choke point and kill them all. They aren't even aware of each other it seems. And R6 isn't even R6... different story on that one. But the AI on the PC R6 wasn't too bright anyways.

I am enjoying Splinter Cell: Conviction, but even on hard, it's easy when you exploit the AI like that. But I guess the focus is on action.

And yes, I realize how late I am with getting to this game. I finally got around to opening it.

Replies

• Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    YES! The EXACT same problem was in Crysis 2 and.. well ANY stealth game ever.
    Always annoyed me so much "Hurr, my comrade is dead! I'll stand guard here an-"*neck snap*
    *Second guard comes over* "Hurr, my comrade is dead!-" etc.

Would it be so hard to have the AI do some kind of range check for dead bodies? and have the amount of them correspond to a reaction?
    1 body, investigate and alert others.
    2 bodies, Alert others investigate with full party.
    3 bodies, Full alarm, the guy is RIGHT HERE! SHOOT THE WALLS.
    4 bodies, JESUS CHRIST BLOW UP THE BASE WITH A NUKE!

Another thing is how AI doesn't seem to HEAR how their friends fall down a flight of stairs in full metal armour, with the machine gun clanging up a goddamned storm.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    F.E.A.R. had by far the best A.I. I've ever seen in a game. flanking maneuvers, retreating for reinforcements, etc. It actually feels like I'm playing real people.

If Monolith ever did stealth, I'm sure it'd be pretty badass.

BTW, I thought Conviction was supposed to be WAY less stealth and much more action.

BTW, The way I played R6 Vegas was to send in my 2 meatshields to take all the bullets, while I snipe from afar.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    I have F.E.A.R. on steam, might check it out.
  • Sean VanGorder
    F.E.A.R. was very underrated IMO. I really enjoyed that game.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Crysis 2 AI was HORRIBLE. But then Crytek has always had the exact same terrible AI since Far Cry.

Shoot a guy, everyone gets on alter, wait like 20seconds, alter drops and they just go back to business with the dead body chilling there.

Second the awesome praise for the first FEAR game
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now I am in a spot where there's two ways to get to me: A path littered with dead bodies and one that's nice, well lit and dead body free. Which one do you think the AI will choose?
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    The best AI I ever saw was from DOOM3.

I mean think about it, you hide in the dark, the monsters can still see you because...well...they're monsters (demons IIRC) and all they really wanted to do was kill you, so the beeline worker wonders.

It just shows how a little creative excuse can be an excuse for bad AI /sacrasm.
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Operation Flashpoint counts if it cares about deaths DAMN 4 IS DOWN OH NO 2 IS DOWN
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    leilei wrote: »
    Operation Flashpoint counts if it cares about deaths DAMN 4 IS DOWN OH NO 2 IS DOWN
    2, GET IN THAT CAR
    ROGER
    NEGATIVE

(id second trying out FEAR though. not exactly stealth game AI, but easily as good as it gets for aggressive AI.)
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    fear is just good overall. Monolith is pro.
    Stealth game AI is always so dissapointing. I remember playing a fallout 3 mod where rather than walking over to the corpse, the AI, if they saw one, would go to the nearest living teammate and relay the fact that someone was dead to them. Then they would both go and tell the others, until everyone knew. So you had to hide corpses, or stop them from going to their team-mates. A mission that would normally take 20 minutes now took 2 hours. And it was satisfying. Unfortunately, fallout 3 would crash literally every time I loaded my game, and I hadn't fucked up the load order or anything.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    The best AI was easily the original Metal Gear Solid.

20 minutes wasted of KNOCK KNOCK... HUH... WHOSE FOOT PRINTS ARE THESE? HUH? HUH? WHOSE FOOT PRINTS ARE THESE? HUH?

Ahhh... Memories...
  • BadgerBaiter
    I never played FEAR 2... was that any good ?
    I really enjoyed the original however, it was the best game I had played in a longggggg time.
    Might have to break it out again :)
  • LEViATHAN
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    FEAR's AI is impressive, but damn, that game is so damn boring.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sick of the AI in Splinter Cell calling me an asshole chicken shit-coward. I think they called me that in Arabic too...
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    F.E.A.R. had by far the best A.I. I've ever seen in a game. flanking maneuvers, retreating for reinforcements, etc. It actually feels like I'm playing real people.

If Monolith ever did stealth, I'm sure it'd be pretty badass.

YES.

I remember feeling totally unprepared for F.E.A.R's AI - I died a lot early on because I was used to shooter enemies behaving in a predictable way, then thinking "that dirty bastard just flanked me!".
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I didn't play the first fear, but in fear 2 the ai is pathetic... the soldiers are complete idiots.

In splinter cell the ai is also very stupid, and playing in the hardest mode.

AI in games is a huge issue, and i say: in all games.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Actually I remembered reading an article about the AI in FEAR where they basically said "LOL, our AI isnt really that good, we just use clever positions to spawn new enimies etc, so they seem smart, but they are actually quite stupid" :D But hey, whatever works! :]
  • EarthQuake
    Snefer wrote: »
    Actually I remembered reading an article about the AI in FEAR where they basically said "LOL, our AI isnt really that good, we just use clever positions to spawn new enimies etc, so they seem smart, but they are actually quite stupid" :D But hey, whatever works! :]

Yeah I was just about to say the same, Fear's AI wasnt that good, they just had really good *scripting*.
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Bwuh, a thread about stealth AI with lots of mentions of Monolith...

...and not a single No One Lives Forever mention? Fools!

NOLF2 had fantastic stealth AI. They would remember if lights were left on/off and doors were open/closed and if items were knocked over. They could track footsteps and reacted when their comrades were missing. They had a great balance between realistic vision & hearing but also playability.

The fact that no one remembers is an example of why no one but Monolith wastes time doing good AI :(
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    ^^
    That just sounds crazy, like they are clones of that crazy woman in the movie misery.

Second the f.e.a.r AI, as said they might not have been that smart, but at least they pretended to be.
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Even BLOOD had good AI for its time. Cultists circle-strafed!!!

Blood 2 had stinker brute force rush AI but that's about it.
  • Entity
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Good ai? what's that? :)

The only times where I found enemy ai to be good was when I was young, and that was because I was stupid.
  • MattQ86
  • Andreas
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    odium wrote: »
    The best AI was easily the original Metal Gear Solid.

20 minutes wasted of KNOCK KNOCK... HUH... WHOSE FOOT PRINTS ARE THESE? HUH? HUH? WHOSE FOOT PRINTS ARE THESE? HUH?

Ahhh... Memories...

Good times. I still remember taking down Sniper Wolf with Nikita. Poor girl didn't even know what was going on.

Now MGS 2 and 3 on Extreme are a totally different story... maybe I will beat them some day.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    in addition to the bad AI in splinter cell.. its hard to deal with the constant

"come out fisher i know you're there"
    "i was at the airfield!"
    "you're gonna pay for the airfield"
    "im not going in there fisher"
    "you think im stupid fisher?"
    "is that you fisher?"

they needed more dialogue..
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Daikatana had the best AI