Home General Discussion

Company Acquisition

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
rv_el polycounter lvl 18
I am hoping to tap the various knowledge base here for something I am curious about.

When it comes to company acquisition: One game company purchases and basically controls another.
When has this worked out (quite) well for both parties?

thanks

* I understand this can be taken from a lot of different viewpoints. I suppose i'm open to all so long as they have some inkling of a basis :)

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MS buying Bungie? That worked out pretty well. I can't think of may more good examples.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    activision-blizzard?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    activision-blizzard?

I think I would qualify this as more of a merger, I'm not sure you could say Activision has taken over blizzard.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ya, maybe you`re right.

how about bioware? they seem to be doing alright. didnt ea buy them awhile ago?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just because a python tries to swallow a bus doesn't mean it won't be able to do it eventually, it just takes time...
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the Bethesda stuff seems to be going ok.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    MS didn't buy Bungie. Or at least, they do not own them now.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    squareenix (and squenix buying eidos ltr - I think it's a beneficial deal for E.)
    sony and naughty dog (but I'm not if sure sony owns the studio, or they're just working together really closely)
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    adam wrote: »
    MS didn't buy Bungie. Or at least, they do not own them now.

bungie bought themselves back.

http://www.seattlepi.com/default/article/Microsoft-lets-Bungie-go-but-holds-tight-to-1251708.php
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    38 buying Big Huge Games seems to be working out well for everyone. They've got a game coming out soon that would have never seen the light of day otherwise.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »

Right, and both Microsoft and Bungie did quite well while MS owned them. Hell, you could say without MS, Bungie wouldn't have had 1% of the sales they did with them. I mean before MS, Bungie was making Mac games, lololol.

Bungie decided they didn't want to make halo games anymore, and had enough capital from the mutual success they enjoyed with MS, to buy their studio back. I cant see where any of this would mean it wasn't a successful relationship.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, this question has a lot to do with the original people no longer being in control. Thats sort of a key thing here. An example would be like Infinity Ward. Activision purchased COD more or less and then people worked on it under their power.

It has to do with a company having the majority power over another. I am trying to stay neutral and see what people say. But I honestly don't see it in many areas. I see a lot more in the opposite.

I think Bungie is a good example but like its been said. They were not really bought. And a lot of people may not realize this but Bungie said that Halo 3 was going to be their last! yes they did. They stated they couldn't wait to get away from Halo.

I ask for this info in hopes that people tell personal stories, but I know thats almost impossible on an open forum :/.. If somebody worked at Bungie they would know. They could say "we fucking hated what they did to our Halo game".. In which case that could be a perspective on my original question. BUT I do agree that Bungie is probably one of the best examples and a decent one.

I think some of the examples here are TBD. A good ammount of time is about 2-3 years. And a game more or less shipped. Nu FX / Ensemble / Irrational

Is Irrational owned by 2k and under their control now? From an outside perspective its had its ups and downs. But I'd need an internal perspective on it. If like 2K is soiling IPs or if theres lots of internal conflict (of interest).

I'm curious about this stuff because even thoguh its a "Biz world" its always personal. ALWAYS. and very psychological. It can be seen like a step-father situation. Especially if that step father was controlling you from far away with no real face :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How does Bungie buying the rights BACK from microsoft mean "They weren't really bought"? I really fail to see the logic here.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Right, and both Microsoft and Bungie did quite well while MS owned them. Hell, you could say without MS, Bungie wouldn't have had 1% of the sales they did with them. I mean before MS, Bungie was making Mac games, lololol.

Bungie decided they didn't want to make halo games anymore, and had enough capital from the mutual success they enjoyed with MS, to buy their studio back. I cant see where any of this would mean it wasn't a successful relationship.

Yeah this sounds like a pretty good example. Thanks. Seems like both benefited in enough ways that you could say it was a pretty good setup. Seems like even if the original owners of Bungie hated making Halo 3 or something... it had no real negative effect on things at large.

I do feel like a lot of Halos success comes from (shooting from the hip here) what I guess I would call "babies-first-FPS" syndrome. Where mine would be Doom/Wolf. But that does not soil nor change what your saying at all. It still stands that it was ostensibly a solid relationship.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    How does Bungie buying the rights BACK from microsoft mean "They weren't really bought"? I really fail to see the logic here.

I got that information from earlier posts in this thread. So I was mis-informed.
    "MS didn't buy Bungie." by adam

But now I know they were bought. So that message of mine is already dated :). And it was like a minute ago. lol. But yeah I'm now in the understanding that they were.

simple mis-understanding/mis-information dude.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Halo's success came from the fact that it was really the game that defined shooters on consoles, before halo, shooters were really consider a PC-only thing, and there really wasn't a block buster shooter out on consoles. It also had a really mass appeal, and a very polished multiplayer experience. Gamers that would otherwise not have had access to the same sort of experience were hooked, because of the easy to get into game(halo) on the easily accessible service(xbox live) that meant you no longer needed to have a $1500 computer to play multiplayer shooters.

If MS had never come along and gobbled Bungie up, Halo would have been, most likely, a moderately successful Mac/PC game, which is to say not even in the same stratosphere as what we know the series to be on console.

Edit: yeah I saw your last reply shortly after mine, no worries. =)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Though i wouldn't call them companies valve has consistently brought on mod teams into the fold. Portal, team fortress, alien swarm, these are all titles made by outside teams that are now a staple of the valve brand. I suspect the upcoming DOTA 2 will be equally stellar.

Again they weren't a company before, but they were teams of people who made a unique creative product that were acquired and retained creative freedom and loose deadlines. It's worked pretty damned good for all parties involved.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Halo's success came from the fact that it was really the game that defined shooters on consoles, before halo, shooters were really consider a PC-only thing, and there really wasn't a block buster shooter out on consoles. It also had a really mass appeal, and a very polished multiplayer experience. Gamers that would otherwise not have had access to the same sort of experience were hooked, because of the easy to get into game(halo) on the easily accessible service(xbox live) that meant you no longer needed to have a $1500 computer to play multiplayer shooters.

If MS had never come along and gobbled Bungie up, Halo would have been, most likely, a moderately successful Mac/PC game, which is to say not even in the same stratosphere as what we know the series to be on console.

Edit: yeah I saw your last reply shortly after mine, no worries. =)

Yeah I agree. I don't want this thread to turn into a "why is halo popular" thread. ITs fruitless. I've already stopped posting over at GA.org because of what happens with all of my threads over there.

I agree. Accessability is a huge thing. All the personal stories I have of hardcore halo fans are all non-pc gamers. They love halo and when they look at me and talk to me about it I can see a look in their eye that is exactly the one I had with Doom. :). It took me a while to realize this. But I have a lot of redneck friends who got into console gaming later in life. Never PC gamed. And they look at me with glowing eyes of "OMG killing people in first person!" And they will love it forever. Like I love doom.

Anyways i'll leave that at that. Just a personal story on a lot of friends love for the game.

Yes, original game was going to be as big as Tribes :). Totaly know.

So anyways, MS/Bungie. Thats a good one. The relationship was pretty long running as well.

Looking forward to more examples. Especially anything of that magnitude!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Though i wouldn't call them companies valve has consistently brought on mod teams into the fold. Portal, team fortress, alien swarm, these are all titles made by outside teams that are now a staple of the valve brand. I suspect the upcoming DOTA 2 will be equally stellar.

Again they weren't a company before, but they were teams of people who made a unique creative product that were acquired and retained creative freedom and loose deadlines. It's worked pretty damned good for all parties involved.

Counterstrike as well. I think this qualifies, even though it may not be Company A ate Company B, its clearly Company A ate Little Guys B, and with much success in every instance that they've done it. Has Valved picked up an Indy Team/Mod team and not gotten gold out of it? We'll try to forget the fact that TF2 was in development for like 10 years. =P
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I don't know how it's worked out for them, but Chair and People Can Fly being under the Epic wing seems like a pretty good deal.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18

Yeah yeah totaly. But this isn't really what I was looking for :/. I know some of the people involved and most of that stuff is, yes, mod teams. Its different. No CEO is bought out. There isn't a "sold-1m-copies" IP involved. Its a decent example, but I think you voided it by one word "fold"

They were brought into the fold. They ARE Valve. You can walk down the hallway and smile and say hi. Or you can walk down the hallway and fire somebody. There isn't typically somebody who is concidered an ACTUAL leader in the origianl group and thus there are no real employees of that group either. In this case Valve is f'ing smart!!! obviously they are. If they never took in the Portal team and that team went on to be funded and make Portal 1 on their own and become big in 2 years. THEN Valve bought them.. That would probably be a bit different.

Are they really made by outside teams? Never really seemed outside to me. I have heard from the portal poeple. They are brought into the fold. I know stories from those people by being at the GDC. They concider themselves a part of valve. There are other situations like this. Like a gorup of people who just do the multiplayer for a company (but are internal) or the people who just do the "2d spin off" but are internal.

Usually when you buy somebody they are external. They have their own Creative Director and opporators. They do their own hiring!!!! The relationship is strange - hence why I am asking about this stuff in the first place.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Counterstrike as well. I think this qualifies, even though it may not be Company A ate Company B, its clearly Company A ate Little Guys B, and with much success in every instance that they've done it. Has Valved picked up an Indy Team/Mod team and not gotten gold out of it? We'll try to forget the fact that TF2 was in development for like 10 years. =P

Counter-STrike is Gooseman and he went to work at Valve. He is a Valve employee.

Lots of these sucked-in mod teams probably have people who leave if they are unhappy. People who leave early. And then the raw talent that is happy stays and is so in-the-fold that its like the same company doing more than 1 game. Gooseman can probably be fired by valve (i dont want to step out of line, but i assume so)... and Valve can also tell Goos to do programming on Half Life 6 :). These mod teams are more or less grunty level workers under At-Will employment. The relationship is not as hardcore as
    Microsoft Bungie
    or Microsoft Ensemble
    Etc.....

If Portal is an external team, then what is their name? Valve West? Valve North? Portal Corporation? Portal Entertainment?

Is it counter-strike STudios (Valve).. or Valve-North-CS division LTD.

Is it Day of Defeat Entertainment lead by CEO Brad Bucklbee in Texas? Or is it just Valve. I think its more or less "VALVE"

Valve is smart.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Certainly, this is mostly an example of valve making good hires, however they have a history of picking up established projects, more so than "teams" or companes, and developing those projects internally.

Not in any way the same thing as your standard hostile takeover, but I think relevant in this discussion none the less.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    When it comes to company acquisition: One game company purchases and basically controls another.

quote from my original post
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    EA and Chillingo seem to be working well so far.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    If your adamant about "puting them on the list" then great. But I don't even know what to call them. "portal". These arent even companies. Team Goose? lol.
    L4D guys are an actual company originally. That did stuff for other valve stuff as well. *shrug*

But
    Its kinda hard to even state the company aquired for most of these!!! to fit whats not really an argument, but more of a list.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I mean, I dont really care about a "list" here or anything, thats sort of your thing. I'm not sure why you need a list. All I was saying is that it was worth discussion. =P

I WILL PUT YOU ON THE LIST!
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Ah see I dont' give a shit about heavy discussion. Real information in parts and pieces is good to become informed. But threads always go off the deep end and then the original poster never gets what they want.

People should feel free to start their own thread if they want.

This post, and many others are just detouring and obscuring the focus. This is so bad on GA.ORG that I can no longer post on there. And i'm kinda close to not posting around here much anymore either. Its not as bad. But when somebody says "What companies, in your oppinion, do you think are still making highly stylized games" it does not mean they need a 25 post discussion about how somebody mentioned a game that somebody else thinks isnt' stylized at all.

I guess I have a different way of looking at forums. If somebody models Kurt Cobaine and asks for crits, do I have to talk about how his "music is shit".
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take it for what it's worth. If the best we're able to muster up is examples that aren't examples that you're looking for I think you can safely assume the number of actual studios bought out that had a great relationship with the buyer is pretty small.

Another I can think of was condor, or "blizzard north" they got up to diablo 2 before things went south and broke off to do torchlight. Selling millions in the diablo franchise. For what its worth they also brought on a lot of talent from SOE I believe to create WOW, though again they did not actually acquire SOE, simply took on much of their talent.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you just want facts, or a list of some specific obscure criteria, do the research yourself? If you want opinions, post on a message board. Its sort of silly getting upset that people would post their opinions on a public forum, that is the entire point afterall.

I mean, do you want to have a discussion, or do you want someone to write an essay for your and cite their sources, for academic review? One of these is reasonable, the other is not.

You say this:
    rv_el wrote: »
    * I understand this can be taken from a lot of different viewpoints. I suppose i'm open to all so long as they have some inkling of a basis :)

But then complain as soon as someone has a minor difference of opinion with you. Again like I said with the Vavle thing, I agreed entirely that it wasn't the perfect example, but it is far from off topic.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    If you just want facts, or a list of some specific obscure criteria, do the research yourself? If you want opinions, post on a message board. Its sort of silly getting upset that people would post their opinions on a public forum, that is the entire point afterall.

I mean, do you want to have a discussion, or do you want someone to write an essay for your and cite their sources, for academic review? One of these is reasonable, the other is not.

You say this:

But then complain as soon as someone has a minor difference of opinion with you. Again like I said with the Vavle thing, I agreed entirely that it wasn't the perfect example, but it is far from off topic.

Your taking that out of context. The context it is in is that its directly under my previous quote. Earthquake, you are taking that out of context. Re-read my original post.

I will entertain different perspectives ON COMPANY AQUISITIONS. These can include but are not limited to.

----ROI - Return on Investment
    ----Personal Experience (i.e. people who worked at an aquired place who say its really bad there even though the public thinks its all godo)
    ----Personal Experience being on the aquiring end, same thing.
    ----Quality of life
    ----

I dont see how my original posts entails entertaining wordy oppinionated paragraphs about mod teams.

Perhaps I should have been more clean in my original post. I'm looking for relationships between one game company buying out another and controlling them. I am not looking for games and a handful of people brought internally. and then WITHIN those parameters I would love to hear different perspectives such as "this one is a success because both got rich" or "This one is not a success because everybody involved is pissed off all the time, despite money" or "This one is a success because in the long run" or "this one was a success because short run"

The subjective matter is : What YOU think is a success
    The non-subjetive matter is: What is a company. What is an aquisition.

So taking my statement out of context, you are correct sir. But if you put it back under the damn title of the thread!!! "Company Acquisition" then you can see why thread-after-thread of shit about Portal and Counter-Strike is starting to grate on me.

Portal was kids out of school. The complaint has to do with oversaturating a thread with something that isn't all too on-base. The discussion about Bungie was much better.

Also this IS my research on the internet. There is not good informaiton out there Earthquake. Its not like theres an article that actually lists out this info, and if it did it would have oppinions in it.

I ask the poeple here becaue they have HANDS ON experience! And there IS oppinions. I said it, and i'll say it again... WHAT IS A SUCCESS!!! That is the oppinon. So people have oppinions about Bungies relationship and if its a succes.. GREAT! when did I complain about that? I am not. I said its a good example and I welcome somebody saying "Bungies was not a success because I worked there for a while and everybody was being fucked over.."

The internet is not going to tell me that. Theres already good examples on here that show my post is worth-while.

So don't say its a random list with out oppinions. Thers always oppinions. And a common one is that derailing threads only creates problems.

The Valve thing is happening all over the place.

The "list" in my mind is not worthless. It helps me understand acquisitions from different stand points. I get to see what people think is a successful one and what is not. I get to see what is and what is not. Then I can be better informed on Aquisitions and MAKE UP MY OWN MIND.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Hasn't blizzard been acquired twice in the past?, with the latest merger being activision with vivendi.

Or so wikipedia says.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    It is not unreasonable to do a survey online! LOL! People do this all the time.

What is your favorite SNES game. When somebody says "I really love X because of its gameplay AND art" do you simply respond "game X is for fucking idiots". Jesus H christ.

I don't come to forums to not get opinions. But I also don't come here to get worthless information.

People should feel free to ask simple questions like "How long does it take you to model a character" and not have to worry about getting 2 answers and then the entire thread turns into "It doesn't matter about time, it matters about quality" or some shit. But that happens EVERY TIME.

Cultural Ghetto.

I speak for MY thread. You speak for "the internet forums". Which one is more unrealistic?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be frank I'm not sure this is the best attitude to have to get personal, inside information from people who have been part of an acquisition. Sorry if that's "off topic".
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    Hasn't blizzard been acquired twice in the past?, with the latest merger being activision with vivendi.

Or so wikipedia says.

From what I hear its a pretty good relationship. If they are actually acquired (meaning Activision has the majority of share/control) then yeah. I've heard pretty good things. This one I know because I know a lot of people who work there. It seems both benefit. Some would probably argue Activision more than Blizzard(?) But i'm not sure.

Cool.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    To be frank I'm not sure this is the best attitude to have to get personal, inside information from people who have been part of an acquisition. Sorry if that's "off topic".

Then don't say anything. Its possible the thread would have very little information in it. People might just say "Bungie is definitly one!" or whatever.

Nobody has to say anything. I'm not looking for heavy information, and also your assuming the negative :). What if somebody says "I have worked at bungie for years and it was the best decision we ever made. My boss is happy, and so were the workers"

See :). thats not bad!!! My original post is not about "acuasitions suck, tell me your evil stories" at all. I'm looking mostly for the ones that did good!!! I know many that did bad already. Because they fail and it ends up in sensational paper..

So yeah its a bit off topic. My bringing up people speaking from personal experience is a non-issue. I just like real info from real artists if/when I can. I don't like internet articles or published stuff. Its always lies. they say "merger" instead of "acuisition" when its 2 totaly different things.

So its not really inside information. Nothing bad.... And the question was about ones doing well!!

Chair is doing really well. Wow. I said it. :). As far as I can tell its a good relationship!

If i had more information I would speak it. But if I had much more information I wouldn't be asking for it :).
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    There aren't many, at least not that I can't come up with right now, but a few..

Bioware was purchased by EA and has done well so far.

ID Software by Zenimax although I think they need to release a game before making a final call.

Epic bought People can fly, so far so good.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    j_bradford wrote: »
    There aren't many, at least not that I can't come up with right now, but a few..

ID Software by Zenimax although I think they need to release a game before making a final call.

Epic bought People can fly, so far so good.

Add arkane studios to the bethesda list, they seem pretty happy about it.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    from what i have personally experienced and come to believe is that if you make awesome games that sell well or shitty games that sell well, everything is gravy, if you make a flop your done or left to eat a shit sandwich. infinity ward seems like an exception to this rule, only the details of the whole thing are still sketchy rumors at best. its easy to be on the side of the people that ran the place over the big bad publisher owner.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    j_bradford wrote: »

you seem to have forgotten about pandemic then, the other half of the bioware deal.

in short, i think it's kinda impossible to say from the outside where an aquisition worked out well and where it didn't. and if you're on the inside, you'll naturally better keep your mouth shut. ;)
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I have been searching around to find out how to have a more concise thread and not have a ton of arguing over what the thread should have. Somebody told me that you come to threads for opinionated discussion and not a list of information. I forget who that person is!! But thats ok because I found a thread that is just that! A list of information that does not stray. It pretty much asks for no opinions. This helps me know what to do for the future when starting my own threads.

Its a thread about posting a great tool you use in your favorite app. The creators name seems familiar :)

What I should have done was this.

Rules:
    1. Post ONE company acquisition that you feel does well, per day.
    2. Do not tell us how this is done when its not a company acquisition, simply explain the acquisition based on its own merits.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Sorry, I don't understand your rules.

DICE
    Bioware
    Irrational
    Arenanet
    Relic
    Naughty Dog
    Mythic was certainly better off than it would have been otherwise.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Also, if you're defining success as "happy happy joy joy developer utopia," which is what you appear to be trying to do, you're not going to find any useful info. If you define success as long term profitability, then your list gets much clearer and much longer. Anything other than that and this becomes a pointless subjective exercise.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I did not define success. Infact I said I was open to interpretation. I would like you to quote where I implied success as "happy happy joy joy". The first example I gave was ROI if you read back.. as an interpretation of success. ROI is return on investment. Meaning you get more money back than what you put in.

Doc Rob. I do not understand why you are being so harsh. I think you should read through my post again and see that you may be projecting. Your message is very scathing.. "happy happy joy joy developer utopia"???

I'm getting tired of re quoting myself but I will do it again to help stop this.
    * I understand this can be taken from a lot of different viewpoints. I suppose i'm open to all so long as they have some inkling of a basis

So right here in the first post I simply state "working out for both parties" and that i'm open to what people think... I would lean towards ROI myself obviously. Success as in economic and business success more than peopel being unhappy. But as you've probably read I stated that I am open to other interpretations because I think it would be lame to set a rule that people can't post about how they were a part of a company that was not financially successful, but eveyrbody was still happy.. I mean its totaly cool for somebody to post that and say they felt it was a success. Thats the only reason why thats in there.

Heres how you can easily tell I'm not leaning towards "happy happy joy joy"
    These can include but are not limited to.

----ROI - Return on Investment
    ----Personal Experience

As you can see here I listed ROI first. and then Personal Experiences. I did not want to list these things up front as to

1. not be so limiting on success

2. not incourage people to speak about "happy happy joy joy" experiences. I would much rather hear what you, doc, are talking about. The financial more long term stuff. The non subjective stuff. Business. ROI. Money. Game sales. > "subjective happiness".

So again. I don't really see where your getting that happy happy joy joy from. But i assure you doc it is not my intention at all. It is not what I am leaning towards or looking for.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I.. I would really like somebody to point out where I defined success. Anybody. I'd like to see it. I don't recall actually laying that out as a rule and more so recall stating it as something that can be open to the poster. I gave examples, which are not my opinion, but since the first example was ROI, obviously it is the one I care about.

But no really. I'm looking back through my posts. Where did I actually define success anywhere? Where did I limit it to only "happyness"!?..... speaking of pointless!!! yeeesh!
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Lionhead seem pretty solid under Microsofts rule.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    the OP makes no sense ... you can't assign good/bad to something like mergers/acquisitions.. they are shifts in ownership based on a transaction where theres a willing buyer and a willing seller and therefore anyone who is intrinsically involved in the transaction they are all satisfied enough to commit.

what happens thereafter isnt worth discussing, because it can be good or bad, but all of the observations that are made after the fact are done with hindsight but the actual point of transaction nobody knows. So to try and categorise acquisitions as good bad or whatever is pointless, it can be any of those..
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I.. I would really like somebody to point out where I defined success. Anybody. I'd like to see it.

Just calm down a little ;-)
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    "Worked out" if anything means business-wise. "work". How does worked out imply "happy happy joy joy". I mean I have to say something there. I can't just say "when has this -blank- for either party". Your projecting when you say that i'm defining success as anything so specific, especially as to Happyness vs ROI.

Search again Justin. Because I still don't see it.

I get the feeling that a lot of people are not actually reading the whole thread and are instead responding to parts and pieces, completely mis-informed on intentions.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems like the thread is managing to stay on track despite rv_el's best attempts to derail it, heh.