Home General Discussion

Environment Art Test advice?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
AlexLegg polycounter lvl 14
Managed to get myself my first Environment Art test!

Wondered what advice anyone out there can offer?

I Don't have the brief yet, so I know a lot will depend on that. I would guess it would be to build a small environment/building.

I have 5 days to do it in.

What kinda things do you think they'll want me to do?

What do you think I should concerntrate on?

What's the best way to present the images? Marmoset, rendering, UDK?

Thanks

Replies

• PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Just wait for the test before asking stuff like this, its impossible for us to answer any of it without having the slightest idea of what the test is.
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Personally I think you should decide for yourself what's best. Isn't it kind of the purpose of an art test to test YOUR skills?
  • AlexLegg
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, fair enough. Well it will still test my skills, I was just looking to benefit from peoples hindsight. You know, what they wish they could have done better after their art tests.

I want to be the best I can, so any advantage I can get I'll take.

Once I have the test I'll just get on and do it on my own. So I'm asking in advance so I can best as best armed as I can.

Any advice is appreciated.
  • AlexLegg
    Offline / Send Message
    I should add that this is a junior position.
  • Rens
    What i can say now is,

Plan things out. Start by thinking your steps through before you dive into it. What specs do you have, and how are you going around using those, ect.

It is easier to spend a bit more time polishing your steps and makign sure it is correct, then having to go back later on because you did something sloppy or find a mistake you have to fix. So rushing it is not always saving time.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    An art test, is pretty much what it sounds, a test.

It's meant to test your artistic skills, your organization, your sense of scale, texturing, color theory, and above all how you manage yourself and workflow.

So plan ahead, and avoid making stupid mistakes, and if you make them (which you will) make sure you go ahead and mention them on a small note when you submit the test. It shows you can learn and adapt and you can identify your own mistakes so you wont make them again, that counts a lot.

good luck.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Also, read and re-read the instructions, make sure you understand them thoroughly. If anything isn't clear, make sure to ask for clarifications. And re-read the instructions again while you are working on it, to make sure you are delivering exactly what they're asking for.

Some more info here.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryGameIndustry#Art_Tests
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    what Eric said. With another 'read it again' tacked on the end for good measure.

Non-art instructions, regarding delivery or disclosure for example, should be followed to the letter. They're there for a reason. Misunderstanding a brief is one thing, disregarding clear info is another - and is total insta-fail in my book. Well, not even in my book. I mean actually
  • AlexLegg
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys good information.

Eric, I swear you only add these things to the wiki after I have asked them! LOL

Whatever my next question, I'm going straight to the wiki, there's bound to be a category!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Hahah, yes. I do add more threads when I see them, as long as they have good answers in them. There's some good advice in here.
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Sneak some dicks into the scene/prop. And then sneak some more in.

Typical hires goes to the one who manages to sneak in the most dicks.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Dont be afraid to ask questions to the person who sends you the test if you do not understand what they are asking for in a specific part. Its foolish to just assume you think you have an idea of what they want and then do something wrong. Everyone has different wording for things in this industry. If you are the least bit unsure, just ask them to clarify.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    Sneak some dicks into the scene/prop. And then sneak some more in.

Typical hires goes to the one who manages to sneak in the most dicks.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAH i wish this was true. it'd be like the olympics!