Home Technical Talk

Need suggestions for asset management with a distributed 3d dev team

The title's pretty bad, but hopefully I can explain what I'm looking for a bit better.

Basically, I've been thinking about efficient ways to get multiple people working on the same 3d scene, or more exactly levels for an open source game I'm developing for. Essentially I'm looking for something like the repositories that coders use, but instead of managing code, it manages digital art assets like textures, concepts, meshes etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could go about setting something like this up?

Thanks for your time,
Huw

Replies

• BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    If you share a folder on dropbox any saves or updates to any files inside that folder with be updated for anyone that uses them.

Also a program named tortoise SVN is alot like dropbox but intigrates directly with windows.

Hope this helps
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Git is another option. There is tortoise git which gives a UI to the Windows shell.
    Another nice thing is you don't need a special git server running. Your git client just needs access to the repository
  • Huw_Dawson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always have associated things like Git with coding, though - are repos like that suitable for textures, meshes and so on?

I have access to a Mercurial server that was set up by one of the organisations involved in the OS development, with all the permission I need to set up shop on it, but I've been reluctant to do so as I'm looking around for all options - plus, it would be hosting a large amount of data, and I'd feel bad if I ate up on their bandwidth by accident!

I'll certainly check out SVN and Dropbox. Thanks for the tips. :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    So far as GIT goes im actually in the process of researching it for myself. I dont see why it wouldnt work. I mean you cant diff the binary stuff but having version control on this stuff is still awesome. Plus with a little scripting you can seamlessly add it to any content creation apps.
    I have used SVN for this purpose before and it works very well. I like the idea of not needing a specific server running though so GIT is attractive.