Home Technical Talk

SOS - Max animators: I need your assistance!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
Heya guys,
I have been attempting to animate a bit with Max 2011 and have been coming across this issue with a file I've been working with... It's a biped rig with a keyframe type I'm unfamiliar with:

2moeb83.jpg

I can't animate anything with these blank white keyframes applied to them.

35nddv9.jpg

I tried keyframing with a fresh file and things seem to be working normally.

Do you guys know what's up with that? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    I think its a single key frame for a specific channel. If i remember correctly
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah, okay. Would I be able to access that channel via the track editor, or is there another place I would find it?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biped is its own animal, you don't interact with the keys in the same way. You don't use the standard curve editor you want to use the "workbench" which is its own curve editor. Also know that biped defaults to Quaternion and you probably want to set it to Euler so you interact with the keys with Bezier curves instead of TCB values.

Notice that at the top of the workbench you have a drop down that sets what type of curves it shows, rot is what you'll deal with most of the time, except you might have position on the Center of Mass and you'll need to turn on "Controllers to see those curves"

For some things you can use the standard curve editor but its a bit of a pain, it just depends if you're animating just biped or biped plus regular scene objects also if you want one or the other open. It sinks my fps to have both open...

Biped has "systems" left leg, right leg, spine, ect... and keys for that system are stored in that system so that's why you have a different key instead of the typical PRS keys.
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much Mark! I think I might get the hang of this.

...It's so strange that biped has it's own track editor, but I guess it's great for if you have more than one character in a scene.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The workbench isn't all that great, I personally would rather use the regular curve editor. They should really allow the normal editor to be smart enough to filter objects based on what they are, including biped and then display relevant info and tools. But its an old system from their "lets pilfer the community for plug-ins" so it's not exactly built into max from the ground up. The guys that originally made it blazed a trail when other rigs more or less went another way. There are some great things that they did and because it was a plug-in they had to do somethings that really don't blend well... which still hang with it today... almost 10 years later.

Yea once you get over the warts, its not a bad little system. The IK FK blending is great its all handled in the same system instead of 2-3 other systems and constant snapping and wrangling... The copy/paste pose system is pretty great, so is motion mixer.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Couldn't you in theory export out the Biped to FBX or use a Script and convert it into Standard Bones?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Couldn't you in theory export out the Biped to FBX or use a Script and convert it into Standard Bones?

This would get you a skinned skeleton, No rig.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep fletch nailed it, the only thing you get out of that is a FK skeleton. All of the IK/FK blending, head lookat, IK pivot selection, copy/paste pose, figure mode, footsteps, keyframing tools, is stripped out and you have none of the things that makes biped worth using and the FBX bones are freakin annoying to work with...

One of the greatest things about biped is that you can grab the hand, move it where you want like an IK rig, then rotate without having to snap or flip switches and toggle settings. Very quick and light.

Naughty Dog spent a lot of time recreating a system just like it for their animators in Maya and it was a major undertaking. Biped has had it for years. I'd take Naughty Dog's setup over biped in a heartbeat but not everyone can afford to do that. So you deal with the warts that aren't really that bad... There are plenty of work arounds for every bump biped throws at ya, it just takes a while to figure them out.

You can however load it into MotionBuilder which is a awesome little app and apply their character rig and do some neat things, then save that out and import it back onto your biped, very quick and easy to do.
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya guys, another quick issue. I try to select the pelvis of this character (NDA doesn't permit me showing :( ) and yank it down to have him squat down a bit, but it won't even move. Is that something controlled in the workbench as well? I opened up the controllers tab, but nothing I tweak seems to work.

attached an image of the workbench... Anything I'm missing?
    2l9ikqt.jpg
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    The pelvis doesn't move. You need to move the Bip01 object. (Otherwise known as the Center of Mass object.)
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Juan, Coming from Maya, all these different menus and such are tough to decipher. :P

Woof. That's brutal. There is IK attached to the legs, but I guess I have to move them to match up with the ground after I position the torso.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Nope you pin the legs.
    there is a pin left and right leg button in the motion panel.

(Dont judge max by biped, its like Max's ugly insane child that it keeps in the attic, They can be pretty usefull at times but no one likes to talk about them)
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gah! So many buttons!

Thanks a ton r_fletch_r. You guys are all life-savers!

And I totally mean the candy. :D

life-savers-by-bewarethecheesedotcom.jpg
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    j4polaris wrote: »
    Thanks Juan, Coming from Maya, all these different menus and such are tough to decipher. :P

Woof. That's brutal. There is IK attached to the legs, but I guess I have to move them to match up with the ground after I position the torso.

Don't think too poorly of Max. Biped is it's own thing entirely. You'd feel a lot more at home if you were working with a standard max rig
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I agree biped has a few warts, but most of the hate comes from people wanting it to be a standard rig and its not. If you want a quick standard rig, go with PuppetShop or explore CAT, they are more like what you're looking for.

Biped, does have a lot of great features once you get used to how different it works. The planted keys being the weirdest part to get used to. But if you've used a rig with IK/FK blending its like setting IK keys, which is all it really is doing.
    I can animate a lot faster than a standard rig when I'm working with biped and it takes less time to set up, drag, skin animate. Its very motion capture friendly, which is great because you can load/unload/blend/filter your own hand key'ed motions it doesn't need to be mocap. So that enables you to move even faster. Biped animation layers work great (max animation layers... not so stable).

CAT, is pretty flexible and can be customized into just about any kind of shape you need. 20 legs? Done. 4 headed hydra? Done. Crab? done. Someone posted intro to CAT videos a while back, I posted it on the main page, you have to scroll for a while but I bet its still there. Great videos, everything you need to get started.

PuppetShop, is more of a standard rig with a lot of advanced features like animation clip loading and mixing. But the documentation is in video form and its like 40hrs of video which actually works out to about 120hrs of actual learning. But once you get it down, its awesome, it automates so much so fast. But I can still animate faster in biped...
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Mark, most of my Max rigging and animation experience has been with CAT rigs. I absolutely love them. I had to rig up a floating character with 12 tentacles a few months ago and it was amazingly easy.

Once you kind of get a flow going with the biped stuff, it isn't so bad. It was just that initial panic of "Things aren't working!" stretch that was a little stressful. :D