Home Technical Talk

Leather Spec Maps

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
LRoy polycounter lvl 13
I've been having trouble creating a soft leather material. I've been able to find a lot of info on how to make spec maps for hardsurface stuff but not too much on this material. From what I understand it would be a dark, mostly plain diffuse and all the work would fall on the spec map. Does anyone have any tips on how to nail it?

This would be my ideal end goal.

clothstifa.jpg

I see a lot of colors in there and the spec looks broken up. It just looks like it would be very soft to the touch, but I'm not sure why or how to go about achieving it.

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Experiment. Think about it logically. The spec map on that example is very noisy. Use a noisy photo overlay and give it a shot. Add color to your spec map to add variety. Try things out! :)

You could use the leather diffuse as a base for your spec map, then modify/adjust it to get the result you want.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll get to tinkering.

Does anyone have any example texture sheets I could kind of compare to?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Leather is dielectric, so start by inverting the hue from your diffuse map. It looks like the example you posted is using some sort of shader that changes the hue based on incidence angle.
    I'm pretty sure that there isn't any special shader work going on here. There just seems to be 2 colored lights. One white/blue, the other a more reddish color.

As for texture sheets, let me see if I have one lying around, if not, just experiment and see what works out best. :)
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    Prophecies wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that there isn't any special shader work going on here. There just seems to be 2 colored lights. One white/blue, the other a more reddish color.

^what i was thinking.

i'll also check if i have a good spec for you
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    you could also try using a very blurry reflection map.