Home General Discussion

Videogame artists salary

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
I'm hungover and bored:

http://www.salaryshare.me/093b8e0e16ef41e8a5b6e7a248ebfd04

Let's get some salaries in there and see what's what.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very scientific, no mention of position, experience? =P
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i typed in "Trident Layers", but nothing happened
    :(
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    No, no mention at all. We've already got a range of $150k to $10k so you can see how well this is working.
    lol
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The results of this poll will show that on average, video game artists make between $1 and $1,000,000(CAD)
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    cough cough, this poll can really hurt!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    some poor bastard makes $20 dollars a year.

quit undercutting and ruining it for the rest of us!
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    It's not about the money... It's all about the coffee ( medium, double - double ) and timbits ( no chocolate ones ) you bring to the overlords.

And also because I don't get paid.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Very helpful, i put in a buddy of mine's salary who's an artist so i could see the results as i will likely need to negotiate payment soon (crosses fingers).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game Developer published their annual salary survey not that long ago, in last months issue I think? At some point that info normally makes its way online.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I get the overall idea but... i'm with EQ on this one. Without proper titles, work experience, location it's hard to know whats what but hey! Now I can dream about getting 150k!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    lol who put $800 000 ?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Me, Polycount is making me SO RICH.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse wrote: »
    lol who put $800 000 ?
    Someone had to counteract the idiots who put $0, $20, & $50.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    some poor bastard makes $20 dollars a year.

quit undercutting and ruining it for the rest of us!

Oh man, when I was still in school and did the off freelance gig, I undercut like a sumbitch for indie developers in need of work, haha. Seriously, fully textured normal mapped character models for like $250. I would even offer fully rigged for an extra $50. But when I did contract work for an actual company, I would say I made a decent enough living considering the time I put into it, being single, and where I live.

I think that's the biggest discrepancy for this poll is that people in a high cost of living area will get a salary that is higher by default. But if you work at a studio that chose to establish themselves in a smaller city, what would appear to be shit, is actually quite livable.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I get paid in Uncharted 2 Mulitplayer Cash.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I like this as a polycount poll, rather than as anything scientific.

I wonder if the 800k is real? It could be some owner who posts on here or one of those lucky few who got a crazy ass bonus.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    indeed, some are rich.

look!

zim.jpg

Numbers are bad named though, 10^6 are billions. Someone has one of the big ones? haha
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Cha,ching m.bison monies, praise the overlord.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now i am making $0 dollars as a 3D Artist...

hopefully soon I will be making a few $ Dollars as a 3D Artist but right now it's still $0
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    If I could I would get paid in Diablo 3 SOJs.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I would totally do a serious one of these....
  • Ennolangus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polycount should have it's own line of currency. :P
    pay everyone in pc dollars.

on a serious note, lots of 40,000 and 60,000's up there. :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, just what I thought would happen. :) There's no charting or averages or disciplines or anything.

If anyone wants some real data...
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryGameIndustry#Salary_Research
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    indeed, some are rich.

look!

zim.jpg

Numbers are bad named though, 10^6 are billions. Someone has one of the big ones? haha

hahha dude where can I get one of those!!
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    According to the Salary Survey in Game Developer Magazine the average salary for artists in 2010 was $71,354.
    "The average salary for artists was up only slightly from last year with the bulk of that increase coming from a bump in the income for art directors."
    Artists and animators
    $44,643 <3 years
    $61,667 3-6 years
    $86,563 >6 years

Lead Artists/Tech Artist
    zero responses <3 years
    $60,887 3-6 years
    $89,519 >6 years

Art Director
    zero responses <3 years
    zero responses 3-6 years
    $107,206 >6 Years

The break down
    17% had >3 years experience and made an average of $45,714
    42% with 3-6 years experience, made an average of $61,898
    41% with >6 years experience, made an average of $91,723

Average Salary for other developers
    $85,733 Programmers
    $70,223 Game Designers
    $88,544 Producers Average Salary
    $68,088 Audio
    $49,009 QA
    $106,452 Business and legal (CEO and upper management as well as marketing)

There are a lot more interesting facts, figures and demographics, along with some interesting comments that go over the good:
    "Its as a rewarding job as it gets if you are a creative person. Not every idea makes it into even your own games, but the ones that do, when they succeed, are an amazing reward! There is just nothing like it anywhere else!"
    and the bad:
    "The industry is poorly thought out and only benefits the publishers. Constant layoffs and no job security mean the talent moves on into other industries. How is anyone working in the industry supposed to have a life or family if they are constantly going from contract to contract in between layoffs? You can't buy a home for fear you have to move to another city in order to find work. If game companies actually planned the productions out better, there would be no layoffs--just a transition into the next project"
    There is a lot more but I'm not going to bother re-posting it all.

If you're in the industry you should be getting Game Developer for free if you're on the outside looking in, it can help give you insight into the inner workings and you should be getting it. The Post mortems are great, so is their sister site Gameasutra which you should also be hitting...

I worked on this mag as a layout artist before joining the industry. Taking home and reading the mountains of back issues is what set me on the path to getting in.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    $61,667 3-6 years!!

converts to £37,814

holy shit. I'm in the wrong country.

Out of interest anyone know what the UK average and Canadian average is atm.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Same as USD. Our dollar is on parity.

One huge difference is... in Montreal you will be taxed 45-50% if you make between $60-80k

Vancouver is roughly the same as California (32-36%)

And Edmonton (Bioware) is super low flat tax of 24%.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The study is a north American study and they say Montreal is BOOMING thanks to tax breaks. The US is going to loose a lot of work to CA over the coming decade and I don't see that reversing anytime soon. Unless the US busts out its own tax breaks... for an industry it hates... yea never happening.

Washington St doesn't have an income tax but we have a mother fuckton of millionaires and thanks to that we have insane housing prices and property taxes. On average the west coast makes more money than the rest of the US (according to the survey) but it also has insane cost of living expenses so... it all washes out to the same standard of living, more or less.

It seems like California is a mess right now and very unpredictable...
    It seems the cost of living is on raise in Texas but its still cheaper and has a higher quality of life along with more opportunities.

You're also more likely to be killed by an earthquake in Wash/Oregon/Calif, if you haven't been tracking the pacific rim quakes its working its way around the rim clockwise... Washington is due for a mega quake btw.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    yeah, just what I thought would happen. :) There's no charting or averages or disciplines or anything.

If anyone wants some real data...
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryGameIndustry#Salary_Research
    I thought you may want to post ACAS on the Employee Rights section on the wiki as the advice is much more comprehensive than the direct.gov.uk information and they offer a free mediation and telephone advice service too :)
    You can just call them up, explain your situation and they will tell you your legal rights if things go tits up.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1339

If you're in the industry you should be getting Game Developer for free if you're on the outside looking in, it can help give you insight into the inner workings and you should be getting it. The Post mortems are great, so is their sister site Gameasutra which you should also be hitting...

I worked on this mag as a layout artist before joining the industry. Taking home and reading the mountains of back issues is what set me on the path to getting in.

:O
    How do you get this for free? Is it only for the USA?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You get it for free by being employed in the industry, and by filling out a questionnaire once a year,
    https://ubm-sub.halldata.com/site/CMP003061GDnew/init.do?&PK=

Edit... oops, Canada and US only. :(
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Ahh poop.

Thanks anyway man!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    The US is going to loose a lot of work to CA over the coming decade and I don't see that reversing anytime soon. Unless the US busts out its own tax breaks... for an industry it hates... yea never happening.

Government of Canada has been handing out tax breaks and money to studios like insane to get more studios in Canada. Just recently, the government gave money to Digital Extremes. Something like 2.3 million.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    One of my closest friends is an economist for the Federal government. He says there is no way in gods green earth that these tax breaks are sustainable.

The hope the CDN gov't is hinging on, is that there will be enough 'infrastructure development' in the video game sector, where it will become self sufficient.

The problem (as history has shown) is the second the subsidies are gone, so are the developers. It was a very poorly researched econimic plan.

:/
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Over here in the news very recently It was stated that in School's janitor's / a janitor makes $70,000 a year, I am thinking I will be doing that instead soon. :)
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    $!nz wrote: »
    Over here in the news very recently It was stated that in School's janitor's / a janitor makes $70,000 a year, I am thinking I will be doing that instead soon. :)

It's pretty easy to make over $100,000 a year working at a mine. Especially if you know a skill like welding, or can drive heavy vehicles. But it's not fun and you might get killed in an accident.
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Same as USD. Our dollar is on parity.

One huge difference is... in Montreal you will be taxed 45-50% if you make between $60-80k

Vancouver is roughly the same as California (32-36%)

And Edmonton (Bioware) is super low flat tax of 24%.

Pff, not 24%! 10% Flat Rate!
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
    I find this interesting and scary at the same time. I am yet to land my first Job but form what it looks like the industry does not pay that well for the work involved.

For example I live in a small City in Canada called Terrace where I work as a Assistant Librarian ( I know! ) but I get paid $40k year and I have no stress, good work/life balance ,benefits, no comuting and cheap cost of living.

On the other had if I do get a job I in the Industry I would have to move to a bigger city like Vancouver where I would earn on average about $40k but in return I have higher cost of living, more stress (crunch), comuting and over all a poorer work/life balance.

It really puts me off working with games the only thing that keeps me aiming for a job is that I like doing it. My question to those in the industry is this. Do you feel you are in a underpaid/unstable industry and the main pay off is just that you love making art?
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Taking into consideration how expensive the places most game industry jobs are;
    Yeah, artists don't get paid much considering the amount of money the games can rake in. I'm hoping for something to change in terms of I'd rather get paid in royalties verus a flat rate, or at least on top of a flat rate.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Gannon wrote: »
    Taking into consideration how expensive the places most game industry jobs are;
    Yeah, artists don't get paid much considering the amount of money the games can rake in. I'm hoping for something to change in terms of I'd rather get paid in royalties verus a flat rate, or at least on top of a flat rate.

Wages are proportional to your contribution to a project. Being paid over $150,000 a year in games is not unheard of but that's for senior positions only. You can get royalties but they're also mostly for senior positions.

It's all about bargaining. How valuable are you? If you have no experience, then I'm sorry to say, you're probably not very valuable.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Rogue One: these wages are based on average numbers for the US and Canada. If you are moving to an area that's 15% more expensive to live you should at least be making 15% higher wages.

on a side note, my mind is blown that you are making that much money as a librarian's assistant, I'd hold on to that job as long as possible.
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
    Haha . I know but It kinda boring stuff data entry, repetition and not very exciting. I used to be a city guy but once I spent awhile in small town you really see the benefits. That being said I still want to try the games industry before I settle down for good but from what I seen it not something that offer you much stability.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Rogue One wrote: »
    Haha . I know but It kinda boring stuff data entry, repetition and not very exciting. I used to be a city guy but once I spent awhile in small town you really see the benefits. That being said I still want to try the games industry before I settle down for good but from what I seen it not something that offer you much stability.

So I really want to move to Canada, when you find a games industry job, can I have your old job?