Home Technical Talk

Upgraded memory

In general what would you expect my increases to be like?
I just upgraded from 4 gigs memory to 8. Will recieve memory in the mail sometime this week, prolly wednesday

Other stats:
intel i3-370m, 2.4 ghz
nvidia GT 420m
4 gig ddr3
500 gig hd

Most intense programs are Maya and PS CS4. Occasional crappy games.

I'm thinking I can handle more polies in maya now, like over 100k without choppies I hope?

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm asking like what sort of performance increase could I expect from doubling my memory?

oh and it's a win7 x64 laptop
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spicypixel polycounter lvl 6
    Doubt it would help unless you have lots of meshes or rendering large frames in vray/mray
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Less crashes from your applications running out of memory, especially when you try to use several at the same time. You might see a little speed increase from not having to wait for memory to be juggled between the RAM and HD. I'm not sure if you'll be able to push higher polycounts as I think that is dependent on your graphics card more than the RAM. You should be able to toss around bigger texture sizes though. And if you use zBrush it should increase your polycount cap.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought memory was king when it came to modeling??
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Fingus wrote: »
    Less crashes from your applications running out of memory, especially when you try to use several at the same time. You might see a little speed increase from not having to wait for memory to be juggled between the RAM and HD. I'm not sure if you'll be able to push higher polycounts as I think that is dependent on your graphics card more than the RAM. You should be able to toss around bigger texture sizes though. And if you use zBrush it should increase your polycount cap.

From 4 GB to 8 won't see much change in ZBrush, it's a 32 bit app.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    If you use Softimage,
    The more memory you have, the more performance you can leverage with their "Gigacore" architecture.
    Not sure how much you actually need for Billion tri polycounts working as advertised.
    Hoping the technology werks its way to all the autodesk products Like human ik.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Valandar wrote: »
    From 4 GB to 8 won't see much change in ZBrush, it's a 32 bit app.

unless you currently max out your memory with e.g. Photoshop, iTunes, 3ds Max or whatever else you have running at the same time. If you're a heavy multitasker then upgrading can have quite dramatic effects.

If you just run one app at a time or work with small documents/assets you may not see much of a difference.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    OFF-T: The problem is there is a difference between advertised and theory based 'upgrade' versus a more personal performance return. I personally was never able to get Max past 1M in 'workable' conditions, ZB past 6M, nor Mudbox past 8M, even though they showed all this on last generation hardware.

ON-T: Depends, if you're a multi-tasker, then yes, it will bring in nice benefits. If you solo programs, then the return won't be as much.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2-4gb should be noticeable, I mean, 2gb is just enough to run basic apps, OS, Webrowser with some tabs etc. 4GB is really min, anyone should be using.