Home General Discussion

Hello!

Im new to the site and I am looking to learn how you make hats and weapons through hammer.

Im already a mapper for DODS and TF2, but I do not have a clue as to how I make anything complicated like a weapon or even a hat.

But I just wanted to say a lot of you guys and gals are very talented with the modeling and you all should be respected for your hard work to make the gaming environment more fun for us. So Thank you!

~Mrs. U

Also, I almost forgot. Im looking for the Creator of the Hotrod for the engineer in TF2. I would to talk to him or her.

Replies

• ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey there Useless! Welcome to Polycount.

Im not positive, but I dont think you use hammer at all to make hats or weapons for TF2.
    You're likely going to find that all the work is done in a model package like 3D Studio Max, Maya, Blender, Softimage, Modo, or many other, then textured with Photoshop and exported into the game using some software freely available from Valve.

We've got a few threads dedicated to making TF2 items:

Texturing for TF2

TF2 Hats, weapons & items showcase

Another thread for somebody else just starting to model for TF2

Aaaand a video that claims to be a comprehensive guide to modeling for TF2. I didn't watch it so...I take no responsibility for its content.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xTAmtqmvg8[/ame]

Good luck, and never be afraid to post threads with your progress!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    You're 100% not going to be able to model anything serious in Hammer. I've tried it a few years ago just to fuck around with it and no. It's just not going to happen. Get a program that's created for modeling.

"...smithy" is the creator of the Hotrod. Not sure how you could get in contact with him though. If you've got some question that just pertains to TF2 item creation and isn't specific to the Hotrod then ask it here. Quite a few Polycounters, including myself, have items that have been put into TF2 by Valve and should be able to answer any questions you have.
  • MrsUseless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I have not looked at the forums in a few days. Been a bit busy. I appreciate the replies and info on modeling very much. I will definitely read through those links. I have a few idea's for hats. Thanks much. I wanted to ask Smithy (the creator) if he would mind telling Valve to make the HotRod paintable again. I had mine painted before when it first came out and when paints came out. Then all of a sudden one day it was back to normal color and I lost my paint :( Thanks again.