Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female UT3 Character

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
Hey there, the aim of this is to make a character to fit with the UT3 female skeleton and get it into the game. I've gone for a sort of draenei futuristic sort of look, although I'll probably chop off the tail once I figure out how complicated it is to get it working.

Here's a few pics of it so far:
concept2x.jpg
femkit.jpg
bootsprog1.jpg
bootsprogress2.jpg

Any feedback and critiques along the way would be really appreciated. At the moment I'm just doing the boots.

Ps. Anyone got any suggestions about how to solve this problem I get in the viewport?
interestingo.jpg

Replies

• Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Interested to see how this goes.

You might want to block out the armour first before working on the finer details like you currently have. I should help you get a better idea of how it all pulls together and may even help you work out something that will let you keep the tail :)

'fraid I don't know how to fix that rendering issue. Have you tried conforming the normals and deleting the history? Not really sure what else to suggest.
  • selentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try turning down the turbo smooth iterations, that fixes it when I have that issue.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mongrelman - Took your advice and blocked out most of it. Still got a few bits to go.
    @Selentic - Thanks, I've had them at 2 so it could go down to 1, then it fixed itself and allowed it to go to 2 sometime afterwards.

bodyprog.jpg
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firstly I'd just like some advice about this particular thing. At the moment I have some shoulder pads as well as some floating geometry that I planned to bake in after when creating the normal maps, mainly because I could bend it into shape. This is probably a shoddy thing to do is it? Any suggestions on what to do for this?
    emblemw.jpg

And then here's some progress. Felt I should have posted more, but then I should've been working more too. Just need legs, skirt, cleavage and hair sculpting and retopping.
    sculpty2.jpg
    sculpty1.jpg
    sculpty3.jpg
    sculpty4.jpg
    sculpty5.jpg
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done a bit more.

legs11.jpg
    legs112.jpg

Do you think the arms are a bit too thin?

Wireframe of current retopped low poly (still need to cut it down a bit, add hair and deformation joints). Currently is 9k tris, 10k is the maximum.
    wires.jpg
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could cut a lot of polys out of that mesh by remeshing it. Like the chest piece and forearm armor to one mesh. Along with the shoulder armor geo and boot/leg geo could be cut down or remeshed and baked into a lower rez mesh.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the tips. I've cut down the chest but I'm just wondering if you'd know whether the newest low poly would be successful in baking the normals, or if I should revert back to the new low poly and keep the pipes? See pic below:

chestlowpol.jpg

You're right about cutting down the arms and legs geo, just sorting out the changable outfits before giving them the snips.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    I'm liking this
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skipping forward a bit, got it into unreal with normals and have been texturing the diffuse, here's the progress so far:

In Xoliul Shader:

leksa2.jpg

UT3:

leksa.jpg
  • StuButler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuButler polycounter lvl 9
    looking good, keep it up!
  • Polycunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polycunt polycounter lvl 12
    hahahaha nice camel toe going on there, looking good so far!
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, the textures make it look much better. Looks great in Max but the bloom in UT3 ruins it, I had the same problem.

I'm not sure red skirt thing is meant to be cloth (there are folds on it), but at the moment it looks like metal or something.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work so far! Btw, did you get any inspiration from halo elites? (The armour has some resemblance. Or maybe I'm just tired. lol)
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work so far! Btw, did you get any inspiration from halo elites? (The armour has some resemblance. Or maybe I'm just tired. lol)

Not really but I have played a hellova lot of Halo and like the armours in general so it's probably is inspired if it does :) Originally a fair while ago I'd planned to try and mash together a Draenei/Elite but that interest drifted off.

@nightFlarer - Thanks, yeah if only I could get it to look like the Xoliul Shader. For the skirt I was thinking that myself.. when I get to the spec map stage I'll make sure it's dielectric kind of appearence with the main armour conductive.

@Gmax5 - I hope it is just the angle :poly124:

@StuButler - Thanks stu
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only managed a bit more diffuse, tried to get some furlike stuff around the hooves which isn't really blending into the skin well. Plus I attempted to use photos to get that and it just looks copied, never really tried before. Looks like I'll have to do those feet again anyway because I managed to crash photoshop n so I only have the tga of that.

leksa3.jpg
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some more now in marmoset (because xoliul shader only does one material), just finishing up various things on it now and trying to sort an emissive problem in UT3. The emissive can make the glowing parts blue in Unreal Editor and in the character selection in-game, but in a level it makes them glow white..

marmo1.jpg

marmo2.jpg
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here it is if anyone wants to use it in UT3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OQUU6UBK