Home Technical Talk

Tips on how to avoid this later on....

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
Ive finaly made the basemesh for the grave mesh I want to work on but when I exproted it as an OBJ into z brush, to my horror, I found out that the cross part was majority wise made of triangles. I tryed to avoid this when working in max but obviously It dident work. It even looks lke its made of squares in the base meshs in max. So Now I have ot retop.

gravebasemesh.jpg

Am I missing somthing?

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like the cross part is made out of n-gons, not quads, due to using booleans to get that circular cut out. I'm assuming that's why you're getting triangles when importing into zbrush, because thats how it sorts out ngons. You can go in and manually divide up the faces into quads in Max by using the connect tool.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Booleans will always give you some messy results of tris and n-gons. I find it helps to see the verts displayed as you'll be able to tell if a face is a quad or not just by how many vertices and edges define it. Chances are Max should have a tool that will report how many tris/quads/ngons the model has in total, along with a selection filter that will allow you to easily see where they are (though I can say now they are all going to be around where you cut the circular shapes).

Since I'm guessing you don't plan on making major changes to the actual shape in zbrush, you might be able to get away with creating a unified skin from it and working off that.
    remesh.jpg

Manually cleaning it would probably be the best route to take though as you're probably going to want to clean it up for whatever game you want to put it in. As far as sculpting goes you might want to try a more evenly spaced structure like this along with a bevel for it to hold its shape, and then once you're done with the sculpting you can just remove the excess loops.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man will do, But I can I go aboput doing this?

I apreciate the feed back!
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Booleans will always give you some messy results of tris and n-gons. I find it helps to see the verts displayed as you'll be able to tell if a face is a quad or not just by how many vertices and edges define it. Chances are Max should have a tool that will report how many tris/quads/ngons the model has in total, along with a selection filter that will allow you to easily see where they are (though I can say now they are all going to be around where you cut the circular shapes).

Since I'm guessing you don't plan on making major changes to the actual shape in zbrush, you might be able to get away with creating a unified skin from it and working off that.
    remesh.jpg
    Manually cleaning it would probably be the best route to take though as you're probably going to want to clean it up for whatever game you want to put it in.

thanks man Ill try this too!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I edited too late so I'll just say it again so that it wont be missed: You might want to try a more evenly spaced structure like this along with a bevel for it to hold its shape, and then once you're done with the sculpting you can just remove the excess loops.
    cross.jpg

Zbrush might also be reporting some triangles as other elements of the mesh look triangulated as well (those blue things on the ends, for example).
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! The unified skin and project was especialy usefull. Now I can High polly.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    This looks very similar to a high cross. If so this may be of help
    http://www.offaly.ie/eng/Services/Heritage/Digital_Media/Archaeology_3d/
    Its an Irish council website where they have made downloadable 3d scans of crosses. Its a great reference. some do not work, Durrow High cross is a good one though
    http://www.offaly.ie/occ_mini_websites/heritage/DURROW_1.jpg