Home Technical Talk

3ds max boolean issue...

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
I am about to pull my hair out over this. AS you can see The booleans worked fine for the first 3 cut outs but when I try and do the last one it deletes the majority of the mesh! I tryed to figure out if there was anything wrong with with the verts and what not to figure out what would cause it to act like that but to no avail. I may have to go to a gettoh method of copying and pasting.

maXPROBLEM.jpg

thanks, for reading and any help is apreciated!

Replies

• xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    well, did u use proboolean or normal boolean (old)?
    either way its buggy, though proboolean is newer and a little less buggy.

what i'd recommend to do (so you cont have to exentsivly weld) is to make a cut in the middle (vertically), delete the wrong half and mirror the other. then attach the halves together and weld the corresponding verts. then select all those new and unnecessary verts and hit "remove" in your editable poly modifier.
    its going to preserve the faces but delete the the verts and edges (unlike hitting "del" on your keyboard)
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aphexx polycounter lvl 12
    yes, you should go and model this. you can try proboolean, when you have to solve a fast renderjob. and even then, you might need more time getting it work, than modeling it for urself.
    for ingame models or highpolys you hardly ever use it. even if you get it work, most of the time you spend more time repairing the mesh than anything else.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Could be a few things.

You're boolean option is set to Intersection, instead of Subtract.
    You may need to reset x-forms on both objects before creating the boolean object.

In either case you're probably better off just using a symmetry modifier to create the second half.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    thanks for the feedback guys!

@xXm0RpH3usXx-

I used both; regular boolean actualy did the job but made realy ugly geometry and triangled the crap out of it, So I didnt go with that. Most of it was probolean.

Ill do what you said.

@aphexx thanks man, Im still new at this. This is my first model im building in 3dsmax.

@monster Thankd man, Ill use the symetry modefyer!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, also open geometry will cause a problem so make sure your meshes are water tight or at best you'll get the mesh on the left, at worst it will all disappear...

BadBoolean.jpg
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    another thing that helps with proboolean is going into advanced options and turn off edge removal.