Home Technical Talk

Your tool of choice for AO generation?

EDIT: Thanks for the many, many suggestions everyone. I can't say thanks enough, you've given me a ton of options to work with! I'll make sure to post up my results soon :D

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the best way to do an AO pass on a low poly (7000 tri) star wars ship model. A Z-95 head hunter to be specific.

I've used Xnormal's simple AO in the past, it's ok but I feel like I could be getting better bakes as it tends to wash things out. Upping the contrast helps but it starts looking a little funny if you go to far with it.

I tend to avoid Maya's baking system due to it's sheer ungainliness.

So I was curious what you, the polycount community typically use for AO bakes, especially pertaining to low poly models that lack a highpoly to bake down from?

If you have any tips for improving the quality of bakes from Xnormal's simple AO generator I would appreciate it as well!

Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly I haven't found a great way to do this in any app. It seems virtually all programs bake some of the vertex lighting in with the AO when using only a lowpoly mesh, or some other weird artifacts.

So one thing I do when using the low AO tool in xnormal is, I sub-divide my mesh a couple times(without smoothing, tessellate its called in most apps?). This will result in less mesh-normal type artifacts.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    mudbox or turtle...
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Honestly I haven't found a great way to do this in any app. It seems virtually all programs bake some of the vertex lighting in with the AO when using only a lowpoly mesh, or some other weird artifacts.

So one thing I do when using the low AO tool in xnormal is, I sub-divide my mesh a couple times(without smoothing, tessellate its called in most apps?). This will result in less mesh-normal type artifacts.

Ah I see, that's an interesting way to deal with it. I'll try that out. Thank you for the suggestion.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »
    mudbox or turtle...

I'll have to test out using mudbox for the process. Thanks.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If I only have a low poly, I usually just use XSI's Rendermap as it never requires a second target mesh.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    If I only have a low poly, I usually just use XSI's Rendermap as it never requires a second target mesh.

What's your process for setting up a bake in a case like that?

Do you usually setup a plane under your mesh, or do you use bowl shape for light bouncing?
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    Topogun makes some beautiful AO bakes - and it uses the graphics card to accelerate the calculations so its much faster than XNormal for example.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Simple AO tool in XN uses the GPU as well.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Do you usually setup a plane under your mesh, or do you use bowl shape for light bouncing?

Depends on what I'm making. If it's a static object that's just going to be sitting on a flat floor or propped in some corner, then I'll add some similar geometry like that for the AO to take into account in order to get a more grounded effect. If its more of a dynamic object that could move or see a number of different placements/orientations in the scene and the AO is going to be baked into the diffuse, then I wont use any additional geo to help keep it weaker.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic wrote: »
    Topogun makes some beautiful AO bakes - and it uses the graphics card to accelerate the calculations so its much faster than XNormal for example.

Alright, adding it to my list of tryouts. :D

Thanks!

And yeah as earthquake noted Xnormal does support gpu acceleration which is great :D

CUDA power!
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Depends on what I'm making. If it's a static object that's just going to be sitting on a flat floor or propped in some corner, then I'll add some similar geometry like that for the AO to take into account in order to get a more grounded effect. If its more of a dynamic object that could move or see a number of different placements/orientations in the scene and the AO is going to be baked into the diffuse, then I wont use any additional geo to help keep it weaker.

Ah ok, makes sense, thanks for the tip. Since this ship will be flying around I guess I'll be using method 2 more.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaburan wrote: »
    xNormals

Alright, thanks for the input.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i have used all above software, for what you are wanting to do i would say faogen would be the best, there is a free trial, and its probably the easiest one to set up. results are pretty awesome too.

http://www.rusteddreams.net/faogen.html
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon wrote: »
    i have used all above software, for what you are wanting to do i would say faogen would be the best, there is a free trial, and its probably the easiest one to set up. results are pretty awesome too.

http://www.rusteddreams.net/faogen.html

Oh, nice :) Never heard of that one before.

Thanks a lot for the link. I'll definitely check it out.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    You might want to check this out. its like what was posted above but is free
    http://www.zhangy.com/main/blog/id/22

in max you can smooth a mesh using its smoothing groups to created hard creases. perhaps maya has something similar.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Paris wrote: »
    Alright, thanks for the input.

No problem! I know it's been mentioned and you have been using it, i'm stating what I normally use =\
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem! I know it's been mentioned and you have been using it, i'm stating what I normally use =\

Yeah I guess I've just been worried that maybe I'm setting up my scenes wrong before putting them into Xnormal. It definitely doesn't like low poly stuff much since it'll create a lot of faceting, but I liked earth quakes solution of tessellating the mesh till those are less of an issue.

Do you have any tips as far as setting you use to get the best bake results?

I've been under the impression you have to have a plane floating somewhere under your mesh to get proper light bounce. Otherwise I just crank up the contrast on the AO bake till I get a full spectrum from near black to white. Not the best solution in my opinion. It seems like on default settings everything gets really washed out and you don't really see much AO happening. :/
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    You might want to check this out. its like what was posted above but is free
    http://www.zhangy.com/main/blog/id/22

in max you can smooth a mesh using its smoothing groups to created hard creases. perhaps maya has something similar.

Ah I didn't see that you had re-edited this.

Maya doesn't have smoothing groups per-se, at least not that I'm aware of. You can harden edge normals and faces individually though, which I would tend to think yields similar results...maybe

I can certainly try it out anyway, looks like a fun tool, thanks.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I didn't see that you had re-edited this.

Maya doesn't have smoothing groups per-se, at least not that I'm aware of. You can harden edge normals and faces individually though, which I would tend to think yields similar results...maybe

I can certainly try it out anyway, looks like a fun tool, thanks.

in my retardedness i posted a max plugin :/ sorry about that.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I use Xnormal all the the time
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in my retardedness i posted a max plugin :/ sorry about that.

Ha, well I figured I'd find out once I downloaded it this evening. I had a suspicion it was a Max plugin from looking at the video but I was hopeful ;)

Thanks for trying anyway.
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    i used FAOGEN for a long while.. its really fast.

But since 1.5 years or so i have switched back to mental ray. I find the result superior. I use a high spread value most of the time to give a really nice deep AO effect. I found that faogen downside is the lack of options for the AO.

Also a skylight bake with groundplane can be really nice and gives superior results sometimes.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH wrote: »
    i used FAOGEN for a long while.. its really fast.

But since 1.5 years or so i have switched back to mental ray. I find the result superior. I use a high spread value most of the time to give a really nice deep AO effect. I found that faogen downside is the lack of options for the AO.

Also a skylight bake with groundplane can be really nice and gives superior results sometimes.

See that groundplane method was one of the few alternatives to Xnormal I was aware of. Since you mentioned Faogen too, I'll put that towards the top of my list for now to experiment on tonight. Thanks.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Xnormal for high to low transfer, and mental ray for low to self transfer, but don't use the mental drop down occlusion that thing is broken and hasn't worked in a long time, bake light and colour from an ao shader.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I don't bake ao from low often anymore but I used to use mental ray to do it. Obviously AO bakes look different than skylight bakes and I liked that I could set a medium size radius and then use a ground plane slightly further away so that I got some light underneath and a little ground fade, but not completely black like a skylight. Some times I have done skylight + radiosity if I have something like a vehicle interior and I think AO will look weird.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm wrote: »
    Xnormal for high to low transfer, and mental ray for low to self transfer, but don't use the mental drop down occlusion that thing is broken and hasn't worked in a long time, bake light and colour from an ao shader.

Alright thanks for the tips.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    I don't bake ao from low often anymore but I used to use mental ray to do it. Obviously AO bakes look different than skylight bakes and I liked that I could set a medium size radius and then use a ground plane slightly further away so that I got some light underneath and a little ground fade, but not completely black like a skylight. Some times I have done skylight + radiosity if I have something like a vehicle interior and I think AO will look weird.

Good to know thanks for letting me know your process. :)
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Xnormal with the method switched to "cosine" often minimises or eliminates low poly edges showing up in areas you wouldn't want them to, like the sides of a cylinder for example.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I usually just add the LP model to both the LP and HP slots in xNormal and bake that :)
  • shogunato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shogunato polycounter lvl 12
    Faogen is a pretty good app
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Also a skylight bake with groundplane can be really nice and gives superior results sometimes

works great for me this method, fairly fast too.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    Some times I have done skylight + radiosity if I have something like a vehicle interior and I think AO will look weird.

Have you tried baking Final Gather for that? even with 5-7 bounces its still faster than light tracer. It lacks the fine detail, but you can get that back with a cavity map.
    I did some tests on my current model, a 1k Light tracer/skylight bake with hammersley took me 5 minutes.

1k Mental Ray FG with 5 bounces, and a MR ambient Occlusion map (16 samples distance:1 spread 1) took 3 minutes.

When i bake AO in Xnormal i find i get large splotches in the map, they look similar to photo mapping. anyone experience this/have a fix?
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    Another way that I started baking "AO" maps is to turn on global illumination, with a solid white environment, and bake indirect lighting to a texture. Technically, it's not an actual "AO" map I suppose, but it looks just like one, except I have more control over the bake parameters and quality.

I do this in modo, but it should be a universal technique. What's great about this as well, at least in modo, is I get a great AO map in about 2 minutes.

Hey Chronic - If your reading this - I bought Topogun some time ago, primarily because of the AO bake capabilities - and I was never able to get a decent AO bake out of it. I've seen a few images along the way of Topogun AO bakes, and they looked great, but I could never make it happen. If you could offer up a screenshot or explanation of how you do it, that would be awesome.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I guess I've just been worried that maybe I'm setting up my scenes wrong before putting them into Xnormal. It definitely doesn't like low poly stuff much since it'll create a lot of faceting, but I liked earth quakes solution of tessellating the mesh till those are less of an issue.

Do you have any tips as far as setting you use to get the best bake results?

I've been under the impression you have to have a plane floating somewhere under your mesh to get proper light bounce. Otherwise I just crank up the contrast on the AO bake till I get a full spectrum from near black to white. Not the best solution in my opinion. It seems like on default settings everything gets really washed out and you don't really see much AO happening. :/

Well it depends on the object. Is it static? If so you can probably be safe to do a Low Poly AO bake setting a plane underneath your object and using Global Illumination.

Sometimes I use both, but for my high poly AO generation I typically use xNormals, up the rays and play with the bias, render real fast on a low resolution (ie 256). Then i'll multiply a Low Poly AO (by this I mean I use the low poly asset in Max, throw a white material with No Spec/Gloss, add Skylight and increase rays per sample, throw a plane underneath about 5m under but not touching, and then Render to Texture).

I know the AO faceting can be nasty in xNormals, some solutions are the way you export your objects. Typically I try to avoid exporting an OBJ while the object has a turbosmooth stacked on it.

When i'm ready to export, I kill turbosmooth and convert to mesh smooth and adjust smoothing, then export so it preserves the full topology (turbosmooth can export out in obj with some wierd topology sometimes)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (turbosmooth can export out in obj with some wierd topology sometimes)

Turn off isoline display. I wrote a little script that replaces export/export selected. It just turns off isoline and then exports. simple but a life saver.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turn off isoline display. I wrote a little script that replaces export/export selected. It just turns off isoline and then exports. simple but a life saver.

Good call, that explains why models are jacked up with Isoline on :\ I only use TS during modeling (performance). I use Meshsmooth before exporting (classic output) and adjust relax function to tighten the model to high rez.

You got a link to your script?
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    The best for me is Topogun. Really high quality. I prefer it to max, maya and xnormals. Although I haven't done an indepth analysis or anything.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    turtle, tested almost all, none that I tested is better. Fast, layer baking, merge layers to one map, simply great, self occlusion off, etc. And good quality. Don't use turtle 4, use 5 or up.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Not wanting to hijack thread but had a smiliar question.

Without using a high poly model, what would be suggested methods for doing AO map bakes something like tank models for pc rts games ?
    then bringing it into photoshop set to multiply.

I generally just use mental ray and a flat plane beneath but wondered if there was a better method without having to create the high poly version too.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    bugo, turtle is really hard to get now as I've recently found out because autodesk bought them and shut the website down. Does turtle do high to low or are you referring to just baking a lightmap using the low?
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it depends on the object. Is it static? If so you can probably be safe to do a Low Poly AO bake setting a plane underneath your object and using Global Illumination.

Sometimes I use both, but for my high poly AO generation I typically use xNormals, up the rays and play with the bias, render real fast on a low resolution (ie 256). Then i'll multiply a Low Poly AO (by this I mean I use the low poly asset in Max, throw a white material with No Spec/Gloss, add Skylight and increase rays per sample, throw a plane underneath about 5m under but not touching, and then Render to Texture).

I know the AO faceting can be nasty in xNormals, some solutions are the way you export your objects. Typically I try to avoid exporting an OBJ while the object has a turbosmooth stacked on it.

When i'm ready to export, I kill turbosmooth and convert to mesh smooth and adjust smoothing, then export so it preserves the full topology (turbosmooth can export out in obj with some wierd topology sometimes)

Sounds similar to the tessellation method mentioned earlier. Personally I'm using Maya, however some of that is definitely still applicable. Thanks alot! :D
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp wrote: »
    The best for me is Topogun. Really high quality. I prefer it to max, maya and xnormals. Although I haven't done an indepth analysis or anything.

I think I'm going to try rendering out an AO in several of the suggested programs and post of the results. Thanks :)
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I usually just add the LP model to both the LP and HP slots in xNormal and bake that :)

I may consider doing a quick smoothed mesh just so i can have something in that slot, not sure yet.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xnormal with the method switched to "cosine" often minimises or eliminates low poly edges showing up in areas you wouldn't want them to, like the sides of a cylinder for example.

Excellent Tip!
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    There is an edit button you know, no need to use one post for each answer.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this will sound stupid, but for low poly objects i just plug the low into both the low and high in xnormal. you might get some weirdness in some spots, but overall it works ok.

i can set up mental ray material and change all these settings in maya but thats such a hassle, too much time.
  • elitewolverine
    have you tried doing AO bakes in blender3d?

i personally enjoy the simple way it does stuff, and free :)
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I was about to recommend Blender AO too, particularly Approximate AO. It's quicker than physical AO and noiseless, which makes it a pretty nice fit in a low poly texture pipeline, although you do lose a bit of control.

http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/approximate-ambient-occlusion/

Basically, it's the AO technique that was developed for Dead Man's Chest:

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3889

I used it a lot on a low poly recreation of Shanghai Expo recently, was definitely nice to be able to chuck out these clean AO bakes quite fast, since I was doing a huge amount of assets in a short amount of time.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I'll second StefanH.
    Tried FAOGEN, nice speed and good results. But lack of options to tweak the results. Doesn't seem to be developed further since some while.

I usually use xNormal or Mental Ray.