Home Technical Talk

Unwrapping Organic Models

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
Hey,
This may be a huge noob question, but I gotta step up and learn somehow. I am primarily a Hard-surface Modeler so I am getting the hang of organics better. I sculpted a stone brick for the heck of it ( I don't have a screen because I deleted the file ) but when I unwrapped the low poly of the sculp there were so many seams and it looked nasty. Is there any tips to unwrapping organics? How would I approach it and such?

Thanks,
John

Replies

• gsokol
    A lot of times for organic things, I use peltmapping. The above poster is right, the less seams the better. I usually just pelt map and use the relax tool, then push/pull verts in areas where there might be overlapping/stretched uvs.
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Also for characters with clothing, you can hide seams in the UVs along natural seams in the clothing.

Quick Planar Maps followed by a relax work just as well on organics as they do on hard surface models too. Like gsokol said, peltmapping can be used as well, and is perhaps the only time peltmapping can be used right.

Really it isn't any different than unwrapping hard surface models. All the same principles and considerations apply - you are just working with more irregular shapes.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I find using render to texture is very useful for hiding seams. I'll render from a copy of the lowpoly, which I've box mapped, to the original lowpoly with the correct mapping. Then I can combine the two versions in photoshop to hide the seams.