Home Technical Talk

3dmax - Can not render to texture

Probably you had such problem before but I can't find the solution now.
I have couple of objects (hi and lopoly) and sometimes when I want to bake AO or normals from hipoly, click 'Render to texture' and click 'Render' - nothing happens :/ no
Im sure that all my settings are right, becouse I have no problems with other objects (Projection->cage-> all settings 'Render to texture' etc etc etc), but some objects are strange and I can't do anything.
Where can be the problem?

I have 3d max 2009

Replies

• gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Man that is way to vague...post a screengrab of your scene and render to texture settings etc
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    have you got the map you want to render 'enabled', there is a little check button
    other thing to check is the render path ie whether it exists or not. also try clear all wrappers.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checked if the object you wanna bake to is renderable in the object properties?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check to see if the files are actually being created by checking the time stamp. Did you disable the preview window and it actually is baking just fine but not giving you the whole render preview? you might end up having to post your file, you're problem is a weird one...
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here is the screen with settings http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/910/rttup.jpg

bbob - object is 'renderable' in the properties
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark Dygert - no file is being created, I have checked 'Rendered Frame Window' (as you see on the screen). I don't know, sometimes I have such weird problem nad I don't know whats the problem
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only other thing I can think of is that your UV layout is screwed up. If there is nothing inside the 0-1 renderable area then I think it won't render. Check your UV layout on channel 1, if that checks out ok, try setting RTT to automatic unwrap and see if that gets things going.
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh.. thats very interesting - I change for 'automatic unwrap' and it works... I've changed again for 'use channel 1' and it works too... bloody hell.. but as you see on my screen - I always had 'use channel 1'

edit:
    I did it again with other object with the same problem:
    - at the begining I have 'use channel 1' (ethg is ok with unwraping) - Render doesn't work
    - change for 'automatic unwrap' (automatically change fo channel 3) - Render works
    - change again for 'use channel 1' (with my unwraping)- works fine.

weird..
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Necro bump. I had the same problem in 3ds max 2012 x64. Changing the unwrap settings from use channel 1, to automatic unwrap and then back again also fixxed the problem.

Very strange, probably one of those sneaky small bugs we won't see fixxed for 3 versions. Just posting my experience for the record.
  • dirtyhairy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirtyhairy polycounter lvl 12
    i have had this happen before when i tried to reapply a projection. Its like it remembers the old projection and gets confused.

Try creating a simple box and then attach your low poly to it (so "box01" is your base mesh). then delete the box and re-project. See if that fixes it