Home Technical Talk

Skip Orthographic view in 3dmax

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
michi.be polycounter lvl 17
I work in perspective view most times and everytime I rotate from a top-down or left view to perspective I have to press "P" and mostly "Z" before I have my object focused again.

Is there a way to get directly into my perspective view without entering the ortho-view over and over again?

Replies

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Hehe I have the same problem here :) ... Would lik eto know an answer too ...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea super annoying, I haven't ever seen a work around for it yet, other than creating a small script that combines P & Z into one action and then binding that to P.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Blender and Maya have that feature to turn an orthographic view into a perspective view on rotate. I don't think it exists for Max.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    dunno if this is a quicker work around but in any viewport press v to bring up a view menu (like right clicking) and then hit P

at least no mouse clicks require :)
  • DrFlail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrFlail polycounter lvl 8
    You could make it switch automatically with a script I think. I'd write it but really don't have the time at the moment.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    If you've got a gaming keyboard (for example logitech G11) you could assign a shortkey to press P then Z. Wouldn't be a great solution but would save you a buttonpress each time.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    When you are in ortographic specific side view , and you rotate the objects i t gets in perspective ortographic , we would like a simple key to skip this passage and get directly to normal perspective view ...
  • Bruno Afonseca
    perna wrote: »
    What are you guys actually trying to do? Also, I'm aghast that so many of you still use default shortcuts in max. If you can explain without saying Z and P, because that means nothing to me, I'm sure whatever you want can be scripted or the like.

P is to change viewport to perspective view, and then Z to zoom extents.
    I'd like to know how are your shortcuts set, scripts etc. Been using 3ds clean, love it btw!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    My fault is to never use shortcuts I never took time to learn them , what is 3ds clean? is a tool?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    macroscript rt_frame_perspective
    category:"rt_ui_tools"
    tooltip:"Switch to perspective view and frame selection"
    (
    max vpt persp user
    max zoomext sel all
    )

et voila, this'll cut a keypress off.

save the script in your script startup folder.
    run it.
    Go to customise UI
    click the keyborad tab
    set the category to "rt_ui_tools"
    click 'switch to perspective and frame'
    click into hotkey and press P
    click assign
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    How do I script view hotkeys so that if I press one of the Top, Front, Side hotkeys while in Maximized Perspective, it saves the Perspective view before it goes to a T,F,S view; then, if I press the Perspective view hotkey it goes to Perspective view and restores what I was originally seeing in Perspective, rather than a Perspective view of what I was seeing in the T,F,S view? I've looked at the listener and found these for saving/restoring active view:

actionMan.executeAction 0 "40227" -- Views: Save Active View
    actionMan.executeAction 0 "40228" -- Views: Restore Active View

And I tried to use them ahead of a view switch such as
    max vpt persp user or actionMan.executeAction 0 "40182 -- Views: Perspective User View
    to do this, but keep getting a false.

To reiterate, using the default Max hotkeys: In P, press T --saves P, goes to T. In T press P --restores P, not T view in P.
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    per128_3dsnumpadviewportcontrols.jpg

That's a good idea/cool and all, but most of that stuff is already shortcuted. If not on keys, can use use ctrl or shift and quads to change views or use different pivots or lighting modes.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    what? its so easy to remember the default shortcuts, they start with the first letter of the function!!11

T for Top, an P for perspective, L for Left, whats so hard to remember that? :P

thats just... well nevermind ^^
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not such a bad ass professional like perna so I'm fine with the little script posted by fletch to do my daily unworthy hobbyist work. ;)

perna:
    I really appreciate any tips, hints and advices but it sounds a bit arrogant to tell people they should look for another "hobby" if they use default shortcuts.
    I really don't see something wrong using default shortuts because they are easy to rememeber in most cases. I have most shortcuts arranged on the left side of my keyboard because I work with the right hand on the mouse all the time and press keys with left hand.

Unfortunalty a lot of people don't change the UI or shortcuts to works more efficient. But telling them to quit 3d is a bit hard in my opinion.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh... bartender a round of sandy vagina's for my friends please, and don't forget the olives. Classic polycount guys...

I like Per's alternative numpad method. I would add a toggle for Realistic shading (currently set for me at 7). The realistic method gives great viewport results, however it solves iteratively so you get a flash and then it settles in every time you do something in the viewport. It's annoying for working, but if you take it a step down it goes away and if allow yourself to toggle it on and off when needed, it rocks.

I also fully agree the defaults in max are horrible and considering you can save/import the shortcuts you might as well take 30-40min to lay them out logically for how you work, and be thankful you're saving your wrists, hands and time. It helped me to record myself while working and play it back so I could see what was taking the longest. It will greatly help you to move away from a button interface to a keyboard shortcut. It also helped to fire up Silo and Modo and get used to their workflows, awesome apps and give great insight into how max should probably operate.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    michi.be - can't you use a camera view instead of perpsective, then the view will be consistent.
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like I wrote before perna, I'm thankful if people take their time and help me with certain things I want to improve.

But I think it's not the best advice from You if you say people should get another hobby if they use default shortcuts. In my opinion this sounds arrogant and is not the proper way to talk to people who maybe do 3d as a hobby and put a lot of effort into their work, even using default shortcuts because you imply everyone is a unprofessional if he don't modify a tool. If you say the should get another hobby you want them quit 3d so i was right ther.

Someone can be professional even if he uses a tool without modifiying it. To bad my english isn't that detailed to describe my interpretation in a way a want.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I setup my hotkeys like an FPS. Important keys left hand and then a gradient of priority left to right.

works for me.

only app ive found to have a logical hotkey setup from a modelers perspective not a programmers is Silo.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tend to work in all the views, including and pretty often the orthographic ones, but if I wanted to work in perspective all the time, I would enable the View Cube, cause, doesn't it stay in perspective and only switch if you go literally to the T,L,F views? If it kills the perspective, sorry :P
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk wrote: »
    I setup my hotkeys like an FPS. Important keys left hand and then a gradient of priority left to right.

After trying a few methods I'd say this is the best logic. I'd definitely like to try out one of those keyboards that have a load of hotkeys on the lhs too.
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    perna,

Thanks for the video. So, just so I'm clear, remapping the viewport hotkeys fixes this behavior?
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    Hmmm, weird. Here is a sequence of what happens when I try to do this:

1. 4 view layout
    2. switch to maximized perspective
    3. switch to top view
    4. switch to perspective (but it is a perspective view of the top, not the original perspective)
    5. 4 view layout

What am I missing?

01_4view.jpg
    02_maximized_perspective.jpg
    03_maximized_top.jpg
    04_back2maximized_perspective.jpg
    05_back24view.jpg
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    Ah, could be, I'm using 2011 (and we know how awesome 2010 was at 'fixing' things). I have 2009 on a different computer I can try tomorrow, but I think I remember it doing the same thing.

Yes, those are the commands I am using (I listed max vpt persp user in my first post), but same result.

Will advise tomorrow, and thanks for the patient help.
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    You are right Perna, it is Max 2011. Checked it today and Max 2009 works correctly as you describe. Anyone have any ideas on how to make viewport switching in 2011 work correctly?