Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Why can't we make something beautiful?
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DR01D wrote: »
    As much as I love DW, there was always more I wanted from it... There was en excitement with creating a universe and the battle to rule it.. We never really saw any huge scale battles or any conflict for that matter. All we got was damn good characters...

Taking this thought it would be cool if the character and environment art was done in a first stage and then the animation stage following up using the winning characters and environments. The competition itself almost becomes a production with the final result being a short movie/promo from the animation winner/team...???? there are a whole heap of issues but i just thought it would be cool to see the characters in action and give a lot more depth and background to the universe...

you know what droid that whole idea of battles just gave me the idea of maybe have a "Preliminary" round and then from say 16-32 or so people who are "Finalists" they each get random numbers and are pitt'ed against each other to do a like single frame shot of thier characters fighting? and then votes on each to see who goes onto the next round?
  • TheRedFish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRedFish polycounter lvl 8
    greevar wrote: »
    Here's your theme:

Cyborg-Pirate-Ninja-Jesus.jpg

GO!

SOLD!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Makkon wrote: »
    Because beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D

But yeah I agree that it would be nice to see/make something "clean" yet fantastic.

But I don't think such a theme would attract a lot of competitors :0 nothing stopping folk from doing it outside of the competition though.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Why not?

But yeah, nothing wrong with doing it on our own as well.

mirrors-edge-20080228010823677.jpg
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    How about since Domwar is a game character competition we actually put it in an engine! You know, turn arounds, idle animations. A different sheet for particles. You know...characters for games, instead of characters for posters.

Eh...my 2 cents.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I just wanna get some practice doing some HSM.

I like the idea of giving a simple personality theme, then asking for an artists interpretation of it. Similar to the CGchat ones.

Like:

"Epic Badass"
    "Girl and her Gun"
    "Military Ghost"

That way we can make it whatever we want, sci fi, wild west, horror, high fantasy, re-trofuturistic, steampunk.... but maintain the same themes.

*thumbs up*
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I'm down with putting it into an engine. Often times it's a real challenge to get a character/prop/environment to look right in the engine when it looks fine you the viewport.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Upper Class vs Lower Class.

And all the hilarious variations that go along.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Hm, that would be cool-
    People can either make high-class citizens, or low class citizens, of one single universe. The universe would be given to us- but the character would be up to us; providing that it fits.
    Then we'd decide which side had a better populous. Civil war!
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MalloryW polycounter lvl 14
    Villain's lair and the villain? *shrugs*
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I just wanna get some practice doing some HSM.

I like the idea of giving a simple personality theme, then asking for an artists interpretation of it. Similar to the CGchat ones.

Like:

"Epic Badass"
    "Girl and her Gun"
    "Military Ghost"

That way we can make it whatever we want, sci fi, wild west, horror, high fantasy, re-trofuturistic, steampunk.... but maintain the same themes.
    i like that idea^

or...how about filling in the characters for a fighting game? im a fighting game junky myself :). creating something to fit in a fighting game. thing about it. you could let your imagination run wild but still have a target 'genre' or mode..

i think fighting game characters have a lot of personalty (especially the 'king of fighters' series ) and i could just imagine the awesome, crazy and awesomely crazy stylise stuff that will come out of this community.

this would allow for a concept, animation, character modeling and background/level design (2.5 like 'SFVI' and full 3d arenas like 'Soul Calibur' or Tekken).

i like the vehicle idea too. you could mix things up and let people model vehicles based on another's character or environment entry.

i know im sooo cool right?
    <_____<

edit:btw...check out the depth of the marvel vs capcom 3 levels
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I also like the simple phrase for themes. Last Man Standing did it that way and it lead to some great creative entries. They had ones like:

"Underneath it All"
    "Unfair Advantage"
    "The Bitter End"

Stuff like that is a thousand times better than any backstory or attempt at narrative setting. The phrases are just enough to get ideas flowing, but are not limiting in any way.

I also love any of the comps that allow the final entries to exist in concert together somehow - like the TF2 comp - or back in the day we had the self portrait comp and the Q3A map model comp (with all the entries viewable in a Q3A level).
  • amblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob wrote: »
    I also like the simple phrase for themes. Last Man Standing did it that way and it lead to some great creative entries. They had ones like:

"Underneath it All"
    "Unfair Advantage"
    "The Bitter End"

Stuff like that is a thousand times better than any backstory or attempt at narrative setting. The phrases are just enough to get ideas flowing, but are not limiting in any way.

I also love any of the comps that allow the final entries to exist in concert together somehow - like the TF2 comp - or back in the day we had the self portrait comp and the Q3A map model comp (with all the entries viewable in a Q3A level).

A simple phrase to capture a theme for the compo?
    THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyggY_R3jU8[/ame]
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    dregoloth wrote: »
    "An epic encounter"
    shadow_of_the_colossus2b.jpg
    24q61du.png
    Now that theme would be epic.

But I'm open to anything. A challenge which started when it was supposed to is enough for me.

^ That idea is pure sex!
  • Honolulu_Ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honolulu_Ninja polycounter lvl 17
    After finally finishing Red Dead Redemption and watching Bravestarr for first time since I was a kid, I have to say I'd love to see the theme be a really gritty Sci-fi Spaghetti Western. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on an alien planet, the final frontier. Every man/woman for him-/herself.
    Bounty Hunters, Trappers, Miners, Raging Alcoholics, Harlots, Lawmen, Gunslingers, Opportunists, Natives, Deserters, Cyborgs, Religious fanatics and noble steeds... In space/on another planet!

No lasers and shit allowed for the weapons, should be rather low-tech, ie look at the weaponry of Hellboy.
    The theme of revolution and civil war could also turn out to be really cool. especially considering the origin of this comp. :P

Something like this could be sweet:
    red_dead_robotics_by_chainsawdroid-d2yh056.jpg
    http://artofcon.deviantart.com/#/d2yh056

OT: Has anyone played Undead Nightmare? Is it as awesome as RDR? :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    hehe I like all the "Let's do theme X because *I* like theme X" ideas...

Also it would be a good idea to keep the theme generic enough so we can get maximum participation. I'm not sure if everyone is into fighting games or spaghetti-western-space-operas

...although if you skip all the sphetti-western-and-what-not part and just shorten it to "the good, the bad and the ugly" then you end up with a theme again which allows for a multitude of styles (comic, realistic, stylized) and sub-themes (fantasy, military, steampunk, sci-fi, etc).
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Well, whatever it is, it would need to be something that everyone can do.

So... no genres. No steampunk, no fighting games, no fantasy, no cooking shows, and definitely no "deadly ninja pirate tyrannosaur F-14 pilots".

So... let's get crackng!
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    but note that i didnt mean an existing fighting game...just something to fit in a fighting game universe...>__>...its still very broad...
  • Segreto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
    I do like the idea of splitting the forum into two sides of some kind of war. People pick a side and make a character that fits. That way we still get the fun forum banter going on.
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon wrote: »

"Pandoras Box"

A lot to be done with that myth, or other myth.. and can be made futuristic if needs be... and is also dark.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    How about 'alter egos' as a theme. A lot of members have online identities different from their real lives, so the them could be related to that.
    so yeah you do a model of your real self then use your imagination to do an amazing version of yourself , perhaps even turn yourself in to a character from a movie/video game.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Ruz wrote: »
    How about 'alter egos' as a theme. A lot of members have online identities different from their real lives, so the them could be related to that.
    so yeah you do a model of your real self then use your imagination to do an amazing version of yourself , perhaps even turn yourslef in to a charatcer from a movie/video game.

I am the amazing version of myself though. :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah me too, but fatter:)